Power magic pro for blackvue cameras wiring question .

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi I’ve had my blackvue cameras ( front and rear ) and the power magic pro running connected to my leisure battery now for ages … most of the time I’ve been happy with it .
however I’ve only just really noticed that it doesn’t over ride being off when the van is running . In other words if it’s sensed less than 12 volts from my leisure battery ( the lowest setting available ) it won’t switch on … until I manually switch it on and off and it senses enough voltage coming from the leisure battery eg when I’m driving it’s getting charged from the dc dc charger. …

so I’m guessing it’s not connected to a switched acc … I’ve yet to take apart my dash to look at the wiring .

so this wiring was done for me when I had my van wired up for leisure battery and 240v hook up .
i know where it’s getting it’s permanent 12 v feed . I can trace that to the dc consumer unit .. of my leisure battery .
so hopefully that all makes sense ?

so presuming that no actually switched 12v supply is connected .. my question would be why.
is it possible to use the 12 v permanent supply of my leisure battery for parking mode only and the switched supply from the starter battery to run it when I’m driving ?…. My guess is that it could be problematic hense why it’s not been wired that way. … however I cannot really think why it would cause issues .

i need to rethink the whole circuit in any case as it’s switching off during times when really there is enough power in the leisure battery it’s just momentarily dropped in voltage because my fridge is running etc … so therefore my cameras shut down unnecessarily… they then need to be manually switched back on at the power magic pro switch . This is annoying plus the fact that the driving mode is not working means unless I’m thinking about all this stuff every time I get in the van I can easily find myself on the road without the cameras running … a rather pointless situation after spending so much money on the cameras in the first place.

so if anyone still has the will to live after reading this … we’ll done .. and if you have any ideas about some of my questions it would great to hear .

so in conclusion … the situation I would like is to have both modes working correctly .. eg . The cameras coming on automatically when I’m driving … without me needing to faff around and think about stuff .
and secondly I would like to stop the power magic pro cutting off just because of a temporary loss of volts . perhaps a Victron smart battery protect instead for the cameras then I could set it to a more realistic voltage to cut off at … I understand the power magic pro is really for the service battery it was not designed to be used with a second / leisure battery . It just made sense to me to have parking mode running off the leisure battery … I didn’t think about temporary low voltages that would cause the thing to shut off too early .

image.jpg

I think I’m going to simplify this post by asking one question . In the above diagram the power magic pro . ( basically a simple voltage based battery protector ) has two 12 v feeds one switched and one permanent .
Is it possible to have the switched feed coming from the starter battery whilst the permanent feed is coming from the leisure battery ?

in the end I wired the dash cam unit to my leisure battery and got rid of the power magic pro which switches off at 12 v , as my fridge kicking in was enough to lower the voltage temporarily… useless basically .I’ve gone for a victron battery protect instead that allows me to set a more suitable battery cut off voltage … I like my video cameras recording 24/7 if possible .

Back