Ctek250se Solar Input Charging Both Batteries Via Victron Mppt

oh yeh . . . .

two updates then . . . . ill do the V1.49 now.

1587296573492.png.

can you post some pics of you setup over here . . . (it looks like a good one =) )

especially the GSM part.

re: What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

i cant find a link to the previous post . . . . . . can you? (wasnt it ctek to orion victron? swap)

so just to clear things up . . .

**********************************************************************************************************

we are talking about..

using the fitted solar panels to charge up the starter battery via the Victron MPPT solar controller 24/7. . . . . which will keep the starter topped up in sunny conditions . . .

Then using a DC-DC charger to charge the leisure battery, which would normally be done when driving, but in this instance with the engine and ignition OFF as well as ON. (24/7 scenario)

This was first via his CTEK D250 DC-DC but has now been swapped out to a Victron Orion 12/12/30(?) DC-DC charger . . . .

The original issue may have been that the DC-DC charger would NOT kick in with the ignition switch OFF, but in this case the setup allows the DC-DC to start charging automatically (kinda VSR style) with the ability to tweek the charge profiles of the Victron MPPT and Victron DC-DC.

**********************************************************************************************************

so @Lowlec

can you tell us your Victron MPPT & DC-DC thresholds/settings on your setup pls? (preferably some screen shots of Victron connect APP also?)

and confirm is this is a temporary setup while the van is off the road? or if its a permanent solution?

This could be a good solution for some people,

I agree that there will be come efficiency losses going from Solar>MPPT>Starter>DC-DC>Leisure Battery, instead of Solar>MPPT>Leisure (but these would be negated during summer with better weather)

This work around will aslo be specific to equipment, as some DC-DC WILL start AUTO CHARGING with a high enough starter battery voltage . . . . BUT . . . . some DC-DC units WILL-NOT Auto charge when set to stop/start mode and using the BCM run/ignition feed.

One option to get around the above ignition feed maybe to set the DC-DC to standard EU5 mode and let it auto stop start during summer/sunny times but switch it back to Eu6 mode during winter months?

if you wanted to use load output to trickle charge the starter battery,and not go through your dc/dc charger,there are several options.(obviously you need a cable from the load output of the MPPT to the starter battery)

1...use the AES function on the load output,set the trigger (high) input just above your absorption value,the low value at just above your float voltage,and the timer for 1 hr.....what this does is to give your starter battery an hours charge/leisure battery voltage everyday!....( albeit this dependant on the leisure battery not being used or in float!,otherwise the cycle will start again)

2....use the street light function mode based on sunrise triggering,basically the load output becomes live at sunrise for a predetermined time,by using the solar irradiance of the solar panel to work it out!,
I use this function on sunset mode while camping,for lighting control.......I slide my neon led strip down my awning rail,and it brings the lights on outside at dusk,brilliant solution when your walking back from the pub and your van is lit up automatically,or I can control the MPPT output remotely from anywhere

Last edited:
Just installed and configured my Victron gsm,so now have full control of the MPPT,BMV,eberspacher heater,and geofencing on the van from anywhere in the world!

did you use this one ?

can you post some pics of you setup over here . . . (it looks like a good one =) )

especially the GSM part.

re: What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:120w monocrystlyne
Mobile Panel:100w lensun
Solar charge controller:2 x Victron 75/15
DC-DC charger:Victron Orion smart 12/12 30
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:Victron Bmv 712
Inverter:
other:

did you use this one ?

yes mate

Just installed and configured my Victron gsm,so now have full control of the MPPT,BMV,eberspacher heater,and geofencing on the van from anywhere in the world!
lets see the setup pls . . .

are you using a raspberi pi like me for the VenusOS?

with VEDirect USB cables from the MPPT + BMV etc?

lets see the setup pls . . .

are you using a raspberi pi like me for the VenusOS?

with VEDirect USB cables from the MPPT + BMV etc?
I’m a Victron installer,so I’ve used a Venus gx I don’t go down the route of raspberI pi as I get very good discount on Victron kit,because I’m using the gsm as a tracker for my van,(which sends me an alert when van is more 30 Mtrs from my house and clears when back on the drive)I’ve gone out of my way to conceal it,because I’ve fitted a remote gsm and gps Ariel up in my pop top to remotely conceal the gsm unit,what I’m working on now is a 12v dump load water heater to use up any excess solar power,by 9:30 every morning my batteries are sitting in float and my solar panel is doing nothing,so with the logics built into the Venus,once my battery is up to 100% the water heater will kick in heat my water based on several conditions,I’ve tried a basic crude method and it works.so work in progress

Very nice....

Streetlights setting in mttp that switches load output on when it get dark right? ... then ur lights connected to load OP?

Love victron kit =)

Very nice....

Streetlights setting in mttp that switches load output on when it get dark right? ... then ur lights connected to load OP?

Love victron kit =)
As per my previous post,you can use this streetlight function in reverse to charge your starter battery from the load terminals!

So, attached my MPPT Battery out to the alternator in on the CTEK. Initially, the voltage seemed to be the same across both batteries with a load being drawn off the leisure battery. Next day, all seemed to calmed down and the starter is showing at 12.2v and leisure at 13.3v with no load being pulled off either according to the BMV. Going to monitor over the next few weeks see what happens to the starter voltage.

So, attached my MPPT Battery out to the alternator in on the CTEK. Initially, the voltage seemed to be the same across both batteries with a load being drawn off the leisure battery. Next day, all seemed to calmed down and the starter is showing at 12.2v and leisure at 13.3v with no load being pulled off either according to the BMV. Going to monitor over the next few weeks see what happens to the starter voltage.

Have you increased the float voltage in the MPPT through the App?....
you need to increase the float voltage to offset the voltage drop/losses of the target battery!,the target battery is now the starter battery which in turn is on the end of approx 8mtrs of cable!(the cable that links the Ctek to the starter battery).
obviously I don’t know what battery you have!,this is what I was referring to at the beginning of this thread,when I mentioned ‘tweaking’ the values of the MPPT.

Very nice....

Love victron kit =)
Next mod....when plugged into EHU green led illuminates the dummy esp switch in the dash,to confirm your still connected and don’t drive off!.got 230/12v power supply under passenger seat,so when 230v present switch illuminates as my hook up point is under the bonnet.

image.jpg

32AD7EF1-B351-43B0-BC06-399D72D5F6A4.jpeg

keep us posted . . . . any pics or screen shots you can show us?

Next mod....when plugged into EHU green led illuminates the dummy esp switch in the dash,to confirm your still connected and don’t drive off!.got 230/12v power supply under passenger seat,so when 230v present switch illuminates as my hook up point is under the bonnet.

View attachment 66591
Hah - great mod, and I don’t know if that was by chance or not but I like the choice of switch, too.

I choose this switch, thought it was most fitting.....DONT DRIVE OFF!
And went for a green led to differentiate for the rest of the dashboard switches illumination etc (Also informs you if the site rcd has tripped too)

Have you increased the float voltage in the MPPT through the App?....
you need to increase the float voltage to offset the voltage drop/losses of the target battery!,the target battery is now the starter battery which in turn is on the end of approx 8mtrs of cable!(the cable that links the Ctek to the starter battery).
obviously I don’t know what battery you have!,this is what I was referring to at the beginning of this thread,when I mentioned ‘tweaking’ the values of the MPPT.

AGM.jpg

So, these are my battery setting connected to the starter battery which is a AGM 85Ah. Below is the BMV output. Solar says the battery is in float but 12.23v sounds low to be in float? Should be more 13v like the leisure's 13.36volts?

BMV.jpgMPPT.jpg

View attachment 66610

So, these are my battery setting connected to the starter battery which is a AGM 85Ah. Below is the BMV output. Solar says the battery is in float but 12.23v sounds low to be in float? Should be more 13v like the leisure's 13.36volts?

View attachment 66611View attachment 66612

Have you got a pic of your setup,something’s not right,Your voltage outPut (battery) on the MPPT is the same on the leisure battery,this voltage should be Showing on the starter battery!
What’s connected & drawing current through your load output terminals on the MPPT?

Have you got a pic of your setup,something’s not right,Your voltage outPut (battery) on the MPPT is the same on the leisure battery,this voltage should be Showing on the starter battery!
What’s connected & drawing current through your load output terminals on the MPPT?

I was charging my phone on the leisure battery, hence the 10w 0.7A draw. But, yes the battery should reflect the starter voltage as its before the CTEK. I need to investigate that I've connected the right cable. The MPPT is under the passenger seat and the battery the drivers, so quite a few cables going through the seat interlinks.

Electrics.jpg

Back