City Braking - A "must Have?"

YouTube video "City Emergency Braking | Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles" dated 19.11.2015 suggests that a stand-alone City Emergency Braking Function (max 30 km/h, 19 mph) exists.

Finnish T6 brochure dated April-2015 mentions the same as above. However, not until pricelist dated 1.1.2016 has City Emergency Braking -option (6K2) available without Adaptive Cruise Control. Before that the package ACC (8T3) came along with inseparable option 6K3 (City EB for ACC Low). The above only for EU6-engines.

Last edited:
That’s useful info. The codes to look for on the specification sticker on vehicles I’m looking at will be very handy.

You could approach it in much easier way.
If there is a radar in the front bumper(see below)
T6_Front.png
then City Breaking is definitely onboard.

Next step is to check instrument cluster and see if there is a "Front Assist" in "Assist Systems" menu(see below).
c5d6e1428f464f54aa4087fa0463554b.jpg
If yes you have full feature called "Front Assist" so front collision protection almost at any speed.

And the last thing is ACC.
Adaptive cruise control is onboard if a "car symbol" button is on the steering wheel (see below) ;)
ccade5b8a35145b8a823beff9fe9a1fe.jpg

EDIT 2:
All of the above features use the same sensor(radar in the front bumper) and exist on EURO6 vehicles only plus @dnoermann 's T5.1 with EURO5;)

Last edited:
Lol... was just thinking as above...

Just look at the front bumper for the radar box......

Tho I thought all T6 vans had city braking as standard? From the start in 2016 ish? . .. in the UK at least.

My Euro 5 T6 140, made Jan 16, doesn't have city braking. Having the use of my wife's Volvo with city braking I'm quite happy to not have it. Several times whilst driving her car down a narrow street with parked cars on the nearside and oncoming vehicles, the Volvo has activated emergency braking because it "thinks" we are about to have a collision. I'd rather it left me to do the thinking. It's a trend, like parking assist. I can do that without any help too.

Lol... was just thinking as above...

Just look at the front bumper for the radar box......

Tho I thought all T6 vans had city braking as standard? From the start in 2016 ish? . .. in the UK at least.
Just checked my 2017 kombi Highline from 01 March and its only got Driver Alert on it and no front assist?
No Radar box neither
Maybe it was an optional extra?
Not sure as it came with no front arm rests which was standard what i had to fight for so may have to do some investigating?
If anyone could clarify would be great :thumbsup:

Just checked my 2017 kombi Highline from 01 March and its only got Driver Alert on it and no front assist?
No Radar box neither
Maybe it was an optional extra?
Not sure as it came with no front arm rests which was standard what i had to fight for so may have to do some investigating?
If anyone could clarify would be great :thumbsup:

must be an option on the earlier models then?

Driver assist doesn't use the Radar sensor (just driver inputs via wheels and peddles etc)

some more details over here > Acc & City Braking - How Its Done -

7-jpg.31723

2-jpg.31717

Back