City Braking - A "must Have?"

Skyliner33

VCDS User
T6 Legend
I've found a van that has most of the options I would like (difficult as I am buying used.

However it is a MY15 T6 (65 reg). Obviuosly this does not have the auto braking safety feature. Is this regarded as essential or is it not really something to be to bothered about?

What are the other things I would miss out buy getting a Euro5 rather than Euro6 van (I know it wouldn't have the adblue)?

Thanks in advance.

But bare in mind a Euro5 will be legislated off the road before a Euro6 if you're looking at long term ownership

But bare in mind a Euro5 will be legislated off the road before a Euro6 if you're looking at long term ownership

I am thinking long term. This has crosse my mind as well. How serious do yo think this could be? I know its impossible to predict what will happen. :/

The only time that city braking would be essential is when you run into the car in front :geek:
I wouldn’t buy a euro 5 for the long term. Leeds/London/sheffield are already talking about banning all but eu6 vehicles from the city centres. Not a problem at the mo, but it’s the thin end of the wedge imo. Buying a eu6 is as close to future proofing as you can currently get. The residuals will fall faster on non eu6 in the coming years.

SS I agree about the car in front.
As for the Euro 6, I probably would have to go for manual instead of DSG to keep within my preferred budget. Decisions Decisions.

Leeds/London/sheffield are already talking about banning all but eu6 vehicles from the city centres.

Guess it also depends on what you are buying the van for. If it's for a campervan conversion, you are not likely to want to go to city centres.

I take mine into cities all over Europe

Do you find you are actually in low emission zones in the very centre? We seldom get to the very centre of cities where the zones currently are. We have the French and German emission zone stickers but have not actually needed them yet. Guess this will get more common though.

I take mine into cities all over Europe
Yup me too, only this year we’ve been to San Sebastián, Santiago de Compostela, Porto, Salamanca just to name a few. I think more smaller towns will follow on the LEZs as it will be a handy revenue streamo_O

if driving in London city you pay more for <Euro6 vans Ultra Low emmission zone (april 2019)

Ultra Low Emission Zone

Again in London city there is a 50% parking surcharge for <Euro6 vans.

Diesel parking surcharge consultation begins

City Braking and The ACC that comes with it is now a must for me - love it and feel much safer knowing that the van is paying a lot more attention to the road than i am.

I've found the Euro6 stop/start beneficial to my overall fuel MPG consumption (spending most time in traffic during city driving)

Do you find you are actually in low emission zones in the very centre? We seldom get to the very centre of cities where the zones currently are. We have the French and German emission zone stickers but have not actually needed them yet. Guess this will get more common though.
I'm the same, have those stickers but haven't yet needed them. They are becoming more common in Germany though, which is the country I visit most often, so it won't be long. If I'm visiting a city I try and stay as close to the centre as I can.

I know I’ve raised this thread from the dead so apologies. (It might help future forum searchers too).

I’m still in research phase for the Caravelle I’m aiming at. What model year was the city braking functionality introduced?

I know I’ve raised this thread from the dead so apologies. (It might help future forum searchers too).

I’m still in research phase for the Caravelle I’m aiming at. What model year was the city braking functionality introduced?
Do you mean as a factory option or compulsory by EU legislation?

Back