Radar - upgrade cruise control to city braking?

My 2018 highline van is fitted with the radar on the front grill which and I just assumed it was for adaptive cruise control. I’ve tested the cruise control and it has buttons on steering wheel to set clear and turn on, off and while it works it certainly doesn’t slow down when catching up with other vehicles etc so no adaptive control.
I’ve since found other chats online regarding similar and people say it could be for city braking and nothing to do with cruise control. Ie van brakes itself if something jumps out etc

Does this sound likely or is cruise control just faulty. Is there any way of checking to see what I have
Thanks

If you take up VIP membership one of the perks is that you can get a full build spec sheet from your VIN - then you know what factory options you have.

The radar is used both for ACC and what VW call "Front Assist" which is the emergency breaking. Some physical equipment on the grill AFAIK but what features it enables depends what was asked for at build.

If you don't have ACC at build retrofit might not be easy:

If you don't have this button on your MFSW

Screenshot_20230830_181127_Gallery.jpg

your van is most likely equipped with a FRONT ASSIST and standard cruise control via MFSW.

If you want ACC it can be easily upgraded.

Looks like it’s missing, just blank
How easy is it to upgrade, what’s involved is it a diy job. New parts to buy etc
How do you become a vip to gain access to info you mentioned

image.jpg

It is a 100% DIY job.
You just need to replace your MFSW buttons with 7E0959442A, exchange your radar and adjust the coding of your ECU(BYTE 5) & ABS(BYTE 17).
Oh it is a different radar unit then? I learned something today :thumbsup:

Sorry to high jack this thread ,, has anyone carried out the upgrade from no cruise to adaptive cruise on a t6 is there a guide/ how too including parts list etc

There is no legitimate upgrade path you will need to speak to a retrofitter or someone offering cracked radar units to progress with this

No you can upgrade it if you want but you need to find someone to assist you as you cant do it all yourself

No you can upgrade it if you want but you need to find someone to assist you as you cant do it all yourself
Hi Pauly ,, any recommendations? ,, my van has the radar distance sensor on the front but no cruise as yet , I’d like to use steering wheel style controls but if I can make it adaptive if that’s the correct term ( so will slow and regain speed in line with the traffic ahead without any input from the driver) then it would be nice to do that too seems most mk7 golf controls have the distance button where as standard t6 cruise dose not.

I would start with your closest retrofit company and go from there ?

Back