ACC / Front Assist / City Braking . . . . . . Is it working?

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Ok T6 Gods . . . . . . heres one for you.

So we have a T32 MY18 204ps with DSG. (PDC F&R if that helps)

The ACC, front assist & city breaking were all opted for....

Now the ACC seems to work a dream, following the car in-front up to the CC speed limit set and also slowing down to a stop if needed and keeping the distance as set with the center ACC button on the MFSW.. so all good there.

now over to Front assist and city breaking... so far I've seen no way of telling if any of it working?

i think city assist is up to 19mph (monitors 10meters infront) or so and front assist is above that up to 100mph (monitors further infront) or whatever, so far I've been driving, coasting, driving almost into the back of cars before me having to slam on the breaks before i crashed into them...(no assistance from the van)( just for testing purposes obviously)

basically if the system is supposed to beep/warn me about the impending doom then i would already be planted into the rear of some other poor sods motor.......with no warning at all. its the van supposed to do something....giving me enough time to react?

so how is yours working? is it giving up a warning at 20/10/5/1 meters?
is it applying the breaks like in ACC?
do you get a sign in the dash?
is there an adjustment in the dash? (yes it is switched on on the MDI)
am i missing something here or is mine just not working?
or does it only work if your accelerating into the car in-front and doesn't work if your coasting or already braking?

20180504_120921.jpg

20180504_120915.jpg

20180504_120855.jpg

20180504_120809.jpg

20180504_120749.jpg

I have it on my Velle and Tiguan. I've not seen it do anything on the velle but the Tiguan has "shouted' at me a couple of times to brake but I thought it was being a bit dramatic to be honest!

It dosn't work if your already braking - as it assumes you've already spotted the obstruction.

When it does work - you get a big arrow flash up on the MFD , a loud beep and it hits the brakes full on for a second or two- it certainly wakes you up if your not expecting it !

put a cardboard box in the road and drive through it

lol, the RADAR detector only picks up big heavy metal things..... so i wont detect cardboard boxes or big silver Yoga Balls (On Youtube some guy with a Golf trying to test Front assist) . . . . or People come to think of it.

The PDC system uses ultra-sonic which WILL detect a cardboard box and people etc . . . . but has a very short range. (typically 2.6mtrs), which is why i mentioned it above.

i though that maybe the PDC ultrasonic may have worked in conjunction with the RF Radar........but maybe not.

It dosn't work if your already braking - as it assumes you've already spotted the obstruction.

When it does work - you get a big arrow flash up on the MFD , a loud beep and it hits the brakes full on for a second or two- it certainly wakes you up if your not expecting it !

Awesome, so how far back might this happen, and at what speed?

Thats exactly what I've been expecting....... but so far not seen it....

so it wont do it if your braking........ but will it do it if your coasting? (which is what I've mostly been testing it with. rolling towards the car in front (with coasting mode switched on in the dash menu)

You need to get somebody to push one of those big 1100ltr metal wheelie bins out in front of you, see what happens and let us know :thumbsup:

;)

I was one of the first vehicles behind a 3 car pileup on a dual carriageway on Tuesday, whilst I was on the brakes and slowing from about 70 it slammed on the brakes and i nearly dislocated my thumb on the steering wheel !! I wondered what on earth had happened until i saw the display good job nothing was too close behind. 10k miles and 8 months never noticed it do anything but it does work.

Motorway roadworks chicane done it for me, it defo picks up cones ;) as Mark says you will know all about it if not expecting it !

and good to know it doesn't work if your already braking, mental note for next road works.

Kev

According to the post above it does work whilst braking ??

Reactions: Jon
According to the post above it does work whilst braking ??

maybe it depends on how much breaking.......

I've noticed that if im very light on the brake peddle, say 15%, just enough to stop the van rolling forwards while stationary in drive (DSG)

Then the Stop/start doesn't shut down the engine.......it just stays ticking over.

but if you then press it firmly down the peddle.... van shuts down......ready for a restart.

now i know I've been testing this auto breaking thing to suss it out and mine hasn't kicked in yet, whether braking or coasting.

but must admit i kept loosing my bottle and stomped on the anchors at the last second . . . . . . . . though saying that i would have assumed that the van would have done something by then.

it must have it fitted as the ACC works perfectly right down to a full stop, where it then says press the brake peddle.... if you dont the ACC switches off.

ill just keep an eye on things and see what happens.

When your driving along and get close to another car have you seen a small symbol at the bottom of the mfd ,like 2 cars with an exclamation mark in between .

I've been thinking mine doesn't work....
Trying to let it kick in coming up behind traffic, my bottle kicks in quicker ....
Or its not working? If the random stop / start and random regens are anything to go by then ????!!

When your driving along and get close to another car have you seen a small symbol at the bottom of the mfd ,like 2 cars with an exclamation mark in between .
Yes, I do get that. But it is (uncomfortably) close then. Document states 0.9 seconds - I would say somewhat less - perhaps at 15 meters at 80 km/h (50mph).

I have never had city braking work ,I have tried getting as close as I dare in crawling traffic but it has never put the brakes on
Front assist has bleeped and put yellow chevron warning symbol on ,never had a red one .
I have noticed it seems to work from different angles ,like if someone comes into your lane .

It seems to have a strange algorithm, I sometimes get the too close warning when I'm miles away, other times I don't get it at all when really I should.

The braking bit u had kick in once, someone pulled out on me and as I saw it and went to stamp on the brake the van beat me to it by a split second.

I big beep, my nose nearly on the screen and a bit of brown adrenalin.

Other times I've tried to test it, nothing, won't do a thing.
Today for the second time ever it made that beep, the display came up but it didn't brake.
I think it was about to.
I had an Audi ahead of my brake quite suddenly then turn off the road. It was actually a decent distance ahead of me and I saw it was going to be clear of me so I didn't react but the van nearly did.

For me the jury is out on what it considers a reason to brake, when and how far ahead etc.

Also to note I don't have acc, I believe only city brake (67 plate) but today I would have been doing closer to 30 and the time the brake did kick in I think it would be between 30 and 40 so above the 19mph.

Very confused lol

No....... Nothing...... been looking for it though.

I've been thinking mine doesn't work....
Trying to let it kick in coming up behind traffic, my bottle kicks in quicker ....
Or its not working? If the random stop / start and random regens are anything to go by then ????!!

Exactly the same as me...... the bottle kicks in quicker for sure...... even if i had a warning at that point it would be too late..

im starting to think that on mine it may be only when your accelerating? (towards impending doom) and not active if your coasting or breaking?

but so far seen no sign of anything................ the quest continues.

"Front Assist brakes automatically in order to avoid a collision in the most favourable case, or at least reduce the severity of the accident." o_O

More details in The T6 Vehicle SSP-561 pages 40-41.

Awesome, so looking at the SSP it shows about 3x van lengths. (though im sure its not to scale)

Front Assist : step3 details - 5 – 210 km/h speed range. (step3-up to 3 m/s2 braking)

Automatic emergency braking (AEB) : operates in the speed range below 30 km/h (step2-up to 8 m/s2 braking)

The proximity alarm : The proximity alarm gives the driver a visual notification if the distance from the vehicle in front is critical (less than 0.9 s)

The proximity alarm is active in the speed range from 70 – 210 km/h

So in a nutshell:

3. Automatic partial braking
• Reduction in stopping distance 3 (5 – 210 km/h):
- Automatic deceleration,
if the driver does not respond (up to 3 m/s2).
• Reduction in stopping distance 3 (less than or
equal to 30 km/h):
- Automatic deceleration,
if the driver does not respond (up to 8 m/s2)

But the proximity alarm is 0.9 seconds from impact.......well thats not a lot of time to react!

the SSP doesn't specify if its active in all modes "accelerating/coasting/braking" so well have to assume it does it in all 3?

ill keep an eye on things and see if it kicks in at some point.

Capture1.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Back