Caravelle Or Kombi? Looking For A T6

JimmyMac

Hey! I am looking for a used T6 as a family car.

Would love a caravelle but the difference in price of a comparable kombi seems huge so I am looking for some advice and what areas people would recommend compromising in.

My major considerations are; three kids in car seats, a dog, lots of travelling to "staycations" and to see family in France/Devon/Scotland.

From your generous experience, what would you recommend? Anyone have anything for sale?

Mac!

I bought a Kombi, then have had Caravelle rails fitted for triple seat (cost =~£3.5-4k but you can sell your kombi seats/belts/floor etc for £500-1000). We also have x3 children and travel a lot to France/northern Spain and the north of England.
Kombi chosen as wanted to build a California Beach-like conversion with an elevating roof with bed. Caravelle is more challenging to fit an elevating roof too because of the heater channels (but is possible).
I would recommend a highline Kombi, we went for 4motion too to help in the winter in the locations we travel to.

Interesting, thank you. I have no intention of installing an elevating roof or doing a camper conversion but starting from low spec and modding up is something to think about; where would you recommend to look for the parts?

Wow, that is a lot of sound deadening!

Thank you for this, very interesting. I think for the time required and the potential cost of not doing it myself, I am drawn towards biting the bullet and going straight to a caravelle...

If anyone is thinking about selling a 2015-2017 T6 I would be very interested to hear from you.

I toyed with a similar issue and decided in the end to go with a Shuttle. We occasionally carry 8 (my 4 plus friends family of 4) so it saved another car. We have 2 dogs and were going to put them in the boot but learnt that the middle row in the Shuttle can have the seats removed individually so they now travel between the kids in the back row and us up front. The back bench does come out as well giving a van space but it comes out as a 3 seater bench.

There is quite a cost saving in the Shuttle over the Velle - just something else to consider.

Back