Kombi van to look like a shuttle caravelle

FlyingStart

Hi all new to the forum. Been looking for a vw for a few month now, thought I was settled on a shuttle or caravelle if I could find a 6.1 for less than 38k. (And not over 50kmiles) anyway the spec on the caravelle are like the kombi heated seats and windscreen folding wing mirrors. My question is would it cost a fortune to buy a kombi and add the 3rd bay windows to it and a 3rd row bench seat if possible? I would need all the seats to be removable as I would use it as a van when I go to shows around the country. The spec on a shuttle is not good compared to the kombi specs. Why is this? Just because they do a caravelle? Almost forgot 2 side doors is why I like the shuttle as well.

The Shuttle has other benefits over a Combi other than an extra row of three seats.

It's a T32 so can carry more
It is a car classed as M1 so can drive legally at 70 mph on dual carriageway and motorways.
It has the rear Aircon and heater (the windows don't open so quite a bit of a benefit when it's very hot.
They have car like interior so less tinny and echoey, though you can easily fit sound deadening yourself.
Then have a secondary diesel heater, which heats the coolant to get it hotter faster and hence heat the interior earlier.
They come with a thick flooring carpet.
They have double sided doors.
They have three singles in the middle where as the Kombi has a twin and a single.

Their downsides appear to be no MFSW, no heated seats, only a bench passenger seat in front.

You can easily source the rear bench and mounting plates as folk are always converting shuttles. Ultimately it's your choice and budget.
I'd test drive a Kombi and Shuttle back to back, as I have a feeling the Kombi (when standard as it was delivered) might be slightly noiser then the Shuttle.

Disclaimer, I drive a 2017 Shuttle SE, without MFSW, but with Climatic heating and Aircon. Heated seats are nice in winter, but I don't miss them.

Last edited:
I do like the fully fitted headlining with air vents and side panels. I'm not a massive fan of using cruise control. Led lights would be great along with heated windscreen but I suppose I've lived with it till now. Heated seats are not a massive miss but nice to have on a cold morning struggle to find a shuttle near carlisle to see what there like.
The Shuttle has other benefits over a Combi other than an extra row of three seats.

It is a car classed as M1 so can drive legally at 70 mph on dual carriageway and motorways.
It has the rear Aircon and heater (the windows don't open so quite a bit of a benefit when it's very hot.
They have car like interior so less tinny and echoey, though you can easily fit sound deadening yourself.
Then have a secondary diesel heater, which heats the coolant to get it hotter faster and hence heat the interior earlier.
They have three singles in the middle where as the Kombi has a twin and a single.

Their downsides appear to be no MFSW, no heated seats, only a bench passenger seat in front. They are a commercial vehicle so limited to 60 mph on dual carriageway and motorways.

You can easily source the rear bench and mounting plates as folk are always converting shuttles. Ultimately it's your choice and budget.
I'd test drive a Kombi and Shuttle back to back, as I have a feeling the Kombi (when standard as it was delivered) might be slightly noiser then the Shuttle.

Disclaimer, I drive a 2017 Shuttle SE, without MFSW, but with Climatic heating and Aircon. Heated seats are nice in winter, but I don't miss them.

Ask if anyone nearby would let you see theirs.
LED lights are a simple swap out, there are plenty of aftermarket lights on offer.
I had Cruise control fitted but never really used it. I have the 7 speed auto, which idles the engine when you take you foot off the accelerator. This saves on fuel. With CC on the engine maintains the revs. Plus no one drives at the same speed as you so you have to go on and off CC all the time.
I live in Edinburgh and bought my Shuttle from Boston, unseen. I paid the AA to carry out an inspection which came back fine, and then just popped a deposit down and took the train to collect it.

Road Legal LED lights aren't that common or cheap though so if you have them on the one you buy already that's an advantage. The H4 standard halogen are infamously bad.

I do long trips in the 6.1 Caravelle and I wouldn't be without the ACC. Certainly on mine you can see the engine consumption dive on the live data to 300mpg or off scale when it's drifting and it also down shifts the DSG box to do engine braking on hills (and regen on the smart alternator - you can hear the fans spin up as the voltage rises)

End of the day go and drive a bunch of options to find out what works for you, also don't set your heart on getting it right first time and wait for the the perfect solution. I think for many folks the first T6/6.1 is the one you find out what you really want but better to find out by enjoying one rather than reading lots of adverts and specs.

Cheers for the info I currently drive a nissan x-trail that's the top spec but not awd. It's mostly space we're looking for as we have 3 dogs and 3 kids. I've seen that THQ do the led light upgrades so that's not to bad.

Their downsides appear to be no MFSW, no heated seats, only a bench passenger seat in front.

Dave, most of the points that you make are very valid and the soundproofing and heating aspects make a big difference.
However, for the sake of clarity;

- Kombi's can be T32 and will have a 3200kg MGW. However, some Shuttles can be classed a T32 but the MGW can be as low as 3080 kg. Some will even have T30 suspension. Given that the additional soundproofing and extra seats will make the Shuttle heavier than an equivalent Kombi, the load capacity could be much less in a Shuttle.
- The whole speed limit thing has been done to death. Ultimately the Kombi can be classed as a dual purpose vehicle (factory fit rear seats and windows) and if the unladen weight is below 2040kg it can be exempt from all commercial vehicle speed restrictions. Furthermore, all Transporters can drive at 70mph on the motorway regardless of their weight.
- Kombi's are also available with twin sliders, but it is rare and therefore will likely incur a decent premium.

As far as I know anyway!!
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back