New Kombi owner

kingkambo

VIP Member
Hi all! Just joined the forum as I’ve taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a 2017 Deep Black LWB T6 Highline Kombi with BiTDI engine.

My van will mainly be used for work (self employed gardener) but hoping to do some modifications to make it more family friendly for short camping/road trips. All being well, should have the van next Friday . It’s from a used VW van centre.

I’d be super grateful for some advice on what order I should do the following mods and whether I should do anything else:

-Leisure Battery with inverter primarily to charge equipment on the go (DIY or not?)
- Sound proofing, insulation and carpeting (DIY or not?)
- Security upgrade ideas ( I was thinking of Ghost Immobiliser- any thoughts?)
- Bed system which can easily be removed (any recommendations?)
- Front spoiler and lowering- nothing drastic, just to make it look a little sportier without compromising load carrying/ride (any recommendations?)
- thoughts on Diesel heater?

I’m based in Barnet, North London so if anyone can recommend groups/local garages/ suppliers that would also be great!

Thanks all!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase!
I'm a fan of using a van for business and pleasure, you're getting best value from your van.
There will be people along to share their experiences on the points you mentioned, but in the meantime I'd have a browse of the forum, using the search function, top right of your screen, because there is already a huge amount of information on all of the points on this forum.

welcome
Same as me I use my kombi 204 for work and pulling the caravan/family trips.

First upgrade change the interior bulbs for led and fit the door seals
I am looking at sound proofing mine next and a change of wheels/suspension.

I know it’s a drive but I’d recommend @CRS Performance for suspension mods. That’s where I will be going.

Any pics of van?

welcome
Same as me I use my kombi 204 for work and pulling the caravan/family trips.

First upgrade change the interior bulbs for led and fit the door seals
I am looking at sound proofing mine next and a change of wheels/suspension.

I know it’s a drive but I’d recommend @CRS Performance for suspension mods. That’s where I will be going.

Any pics of van?
Thanks also for tip on- door seals! Seems like a no-brainer mod…

Morning , have a good check on the sliding windows. Unfortunately, they are prone to leaking and there is lots of info on this topic on the forum. As to converting , have a look at the thread builds on the forum . I would make a list to start with of the power you need on the van and if you want to be on a site or off grid. Which ever route you choose, I would recommend a solar panel though, a no brainer to keep your battery topped up .

Hi all! Just joined the forum as I’ve taken the plunge and put a deposit down on a 2017 Deep Black LWB T6 Highline Kombi with BiTDI engine.

My van will mainly be used for work (self employed gardener) but hoping to do some modifications to make it more family friendly for short camping/road trips. All being well, should have the van next Friday . It’s from a used VW van centre.

I’d be super grateful for some advice on what order I should do the following mods and whether I should do anything else:

-Leisure Battery with inverter primarily to charge equipment on the go (DIY or not?)
- Sound proofing, insulation and carpeting (DIY or not?)
- Security upgrade ideas ( I was thinking of Ghost Immobiliser- any thoughts?)
- Bed system which can easily be removed (any recommendations?)
- Front spoiler and lowering- nothing drastic, just to make it look a little sportier without compromising load carrying/ride (any recommendations?)
- thoughts on Diesel heater?

I’m based in Barnet, North London so if anyone can recommend groups/local garages/ suppliers that would also be great!

Thanks all!
Lift the sliding windows out each spring, use a wedge plastic trim tool, (You tube for how to), clean the sand, grit and green gunk off the soft rubber seal, lube the seal with Krytox GPL 105, it's a high performance Polyflouropolyether (PFPE) oil, or PFPE equivalent, wet then gently poke out the two drain channels with a v thin zip tie and blow through say aerosol WD40 to clear them out. Lube the window slider channels. Enjoy your van.

Back