Campsite Cooking - - How I done it - -

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master

To Grill or not to Grill . . . . . . . . That is the Question.

I love Camping and Outdoors stuff . . whether is a Motor racing weekend meet with the lads or a family weeks holiday it normally involves outdoor cooking.

BBQ is another one of my favourite summer passtimes, going through about 15BBq`s over the years i currently have a Gas Monster and Coal Monstyer - The missus thinks i got a problem . . . LOL.

Traditionally camping for us has meant a Tent as the Van is setup as a work van . . . . so no poptop for us.

so that has ment Gas camp stoves and coal BBq`s,

we had four of these little Gems

1594277078993.png

which have worked great over the years, but find they drink Gas like nothing and run out oftern.

1594277156363.png

this was the kinda setup . .

1594277240987.png

1594277258187.png

two burners for food cooking and a third for the kettle, tea, coffee etc . .

1594277342104.png

which has worked well enough . . .

1594277407558.png

The question was to Cadac or Not To Cadac . . . . ?

id been watching the Cadac camp guys over the years . .

The caravaners loved them as they could be easily connected to the caravans gas supply.

the campers liked them because the packed down relatively small.

The gastro chefs liked them because they were powerful and run HOT.

so after seeing the Cadac guys at Rutlant last year i thought it was time to Upgrade - again . . .

This was the kit we were looking at:

The Cadac Carri Chef 2 "Gourmet Cobo"

1594277684972.png

A highly versatile barbecue set-up that's fit for any occasion.

Whether you're planning a camping trip or cooking up an outdoor feast at home, the Cadac Carri Chef 2 Gourmet Combo is more than capable of feeding your needs.

It's easy to set up - no tools are required - and simple to light using the automatic Piezo ignition. It comes complete with a number of interchangeable cooking surfaces - including a Paella Pan - for a variety of cooking options.

The large 48cm cooking surface means that there's ample room for food for all of the family.

• Quick and easy to use - swap one top for another without any additional parts
  • Integrated lid and thermometer with a 48cm diameter cooking surface area
  • Dome hooks onto the side to act as a windshield and splashback protector
  • Comes with convenient carry/storage bag
Please note that to use this product you will need a gas regulator and hose (sold separately)

with the Cadac Dual Power Pak . . .

1594277796135.png

. . .

deciding do, we grabbed one.

nice and easy to assemble . . ., job done . .

1594277864210.png

or so we thought . . .

on testing and the first test cook . . . . some fried tomatoes . . lol.

we say that only one can was getting old/empty and the grill went out . . . ?

a bit of fidilling later and some Alien Vision Tech we found out that the Regulator was at fault, only allowing gas from one can . . .

1594277970617.png

the next day the Regulator was swapped out and retested . . . .,

1594278041509.png

1594278064399.png

much better with both cans performing great . . .

1594278096950.png

1594278135362.png

Cadac Carri Chef 2 8910-80-EU Carri Chef 2

1594278323228.png

have a look at the Dual Fuel adapter here:

Cadac Dual Power Pak - Gas Regulator and Hose Kit

1594278302696.png

what about Gas? . . . . . . . we found this great bulk deal - these seem a good deal for EN417 C500 gas..

Coleman Extra Value 6 x C500 Gas Cartridge (Pack of 6)

1594278391409.png

what about some extras . . . ?

just starting my Cadac Journey,

I've got one of these bags for the legs . .

Cadac Carri Chef 2 Leg Bag Black: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
Great prices on your favourite Gardening brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.
www.amazon.co.uk

1594196119875.png

I also Love DucksBack kit, got loads of there bags.

ill be looking at one of the large round ones below.

Ducksback Heavy Duty Storage Bag for camping BBQ Legs BLUE: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
Ducksback Heavy Duty Storage Bag for camping BBQ Legs BLUE: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
amzn.to

Amazon.co.uk : cadac bag

1594196213559.png

i got a cover too for when leaving it setup at camp . . .

Amazon.co.uk : cadac carri chef 2 cover

1594196481791.png

Caravan Covers | Motorhome Covers | Camping Bags | Ducks Back

duck_fav-100x100.png ducksback.co.uk

1594196714554.png

1594196734093.png

and,

https://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk/search/CADAC

1594196599650.png

Credits to:
@Dellmassive
@czmate1999
@CAB

links:
Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

what about this little guy . . .

it works on the same EN417 canisters . . . and is great for boiling up a brew, and its a ferocious little thing . .

1594278864996.png

i got mine from GoOutdoors . . . . but its cheaper on Amazon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

just found this little monster . . .

3500w (1ltr 3mins)
windproof

and comes with an adapter for normall push-in-cans . . . (that i have a ton of already)

1594279174785.png

1594279189948.png

1594279239221.png

1594279258321.png

how long will the gas last?

Gas stoves are rated in Watts or BTU/hr or Gas mg/hr or boil 1Ltr water . . . . .

so 3500W of equivalent power. gas>heat.

3500W = 12000BTU/hr

The Vango one above is listed as 2600W

2600W is 9000BTU/hr

Burn rate @ 215 g/h / 3Kw

Boils 1Ltr water in 5mins.

with the Watt or BTU or Burn rate rating . . . .

you can calculate the run tim of a gass bottle.

so one of these small 3kw burners will run 215g/h so last 2.5hrs on a C500 EN417 can.

now i need to work out how long the Cadac will run on the Duel C500 can setup.

here we go:

Cadac CARRI CHEF 2 BBQ . . .

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
DIMENSIONS
Width: 70 cm
Height: 93 cm
Depth: 70 cm
TECHNICAL INFO
Approximate weight: 12 Kg
Total heat output: 3.7 kW
Total average gas consumption: 270 g/H
Average operating pressure: 28-37 mBar
ARTICLE
Article Number: 8910-40-EU
EAN: 6001773104753

consumption: 270 g/H -

so that means with 2x C500 EN417 cans = 1000g

1000g / 270g/h = 3.7hrs

so i can run the cadac for 3.7hrs before the two cans are done.

6xcan pack will last (3.7hr x 3) = 11.1hrs.

that means a 6x pack should easy last a 4day weekend.

cadac specs:

Last edited:
Cadac Transport option have been ordered and will be shown here when they arrive . . . .

here are some Mods that weve done . . .

wanna grill and egg on the BBQ grate . . . . . no worries.

here we have BBQ mat and an egg ring . . . . or a small 1egg fry pan.

1594279720203.png

dont want a messy grill to clean . . . . . more grill mat cooking. - just cut it with scissors - easy.

1594279815477.png

1594279864115.png

I love this stuff so much I've bought two packs. . . .

GQC Grill Mat, Set of 6 BBQ Grill Mat Nonstick Reusable Barbecue Baking Mat Teflon Cooking Mats for Electric Grill Gas Charcoal BBQ, FDA-Approved, PFOA-Free, 15.75 * 13Inch, Black

• 【Healthy and Safe Choice】These teflon grill mats are FDA approved, PFOA-free, non-toxic, with no harmful chemicals. Made from fiberglass fabric coated PTFE that features rapid thermal conductivity, perfect to food heated evenly and maintain food moisture
  • 【High Temperature Resistance】Thanks to the advanced heat-resistant technologically materials, this BBQ grill mat come with unique 2mm ultra-thick design, yet thick enough to provide ultimate heat resistance up to 500℉, won't burn or shrink, go through microwave quite well
  • 【A Good helper to BBQ & Baking】Never worry about your food sticking to the grates or falling through the cracks again. Our cooking mat works with any kind of barbecue grill like gas, electric, charcoal grills and even can serving as oven liners. Best for grilling steak, pork, bacon, seafood, vegetables, pizza, kebabs, and even frying an egg.
  • 【Secret to Save Money】Set of 6, 100% non-stick, each barbecue mat can be utilized up to 500 times, make sure you have plenty for the BBQ season. Easily trim to any size to fit any need. They can be applies in oven, frying pan, electric grill, barbecue, etc. Easier to carry for camping, picnic, backyard party, indoor & outdoor activities
  • 【No Mess, Easy to Clean】Dishwasher safe means clean-up is a breeze! Don't waste anymore time scraping the "crud" off your grill. This grill mat set is an ideal gift for BBQ & baking lover on BBQ season or other special holiday.

Last edited:
what are your outdoor cooking / camping / pitch up cooking solutions . . . . . . ?

share them with us below:

****************************************************************************************

other options . . . .

I love Weber,

and have been drooling over the Weber Q for years . . . . . but its got a Premium price . . .

this is an example of the Q2200

20200708_123139.jpg20200708_123142.jpg20200708_123145.jpg20200708_123147.jpg

Last edited:
Almost all of my camp cooking has been in wilderness camps on the side of a mountain or equivalent so my requirement for cook kit has largely been:
1. Small enough to fit in a 35l backpack
2. Light enough to carry on my back all day
3. Easy to use in a tent porch in any weather
4. Powerful enough that it will heat/cook properly in any weather
5. Be able to get gas for it anywhere

I have two ‘go to’ options, one I’ve had for 20+ years and never fails me which is:
  • A three legged foldable stove similar to the one @Dellmassive has in the thread above which uses butane/propane canisters
  • two Trangia aluminium/stainless tins. These fit inside each other and the stove fits inside these with the legs folded. They serve both as cookpots, kettle and plates, the larger one will fit over the smaller one to act as a lid. I cook in the pot and eat straight out of it
  • A clip on handle thing for the Trangia pots
  • A NATO tin opener (can you still get these?)
  • a plastic mug
  • a plastic fork and spoon - i always use a Swiss Army knife With me if i need a knife
  • a box of windproof matches
The newer option is a JetBoil. Call me old fashioned, the jetBoil is a brilliant bit of kit but i still like my old setup
I would take a few pictures but its all in a box in the garage with a load of junk stacked up in front of it just now.

To Grill or not to Grill . . . . . . . . That is the Question.

I love Camping and Outdoors stuff . . whether is a Motor racing weekend meet with the lads or a family weeks holiday it normally involves outdoor cooking.

BBQ is another one of my favourite summer passtimes, going through about 15BBq`s over the years i currently have a Gas Monster and Coal Monstyer - The missus thinks i got a problem . . . LOL.

Traditionally camping for us has meant a Tent as the Van is setup as a work van . . . . so no poptop for us.

so that has ment Gas camp stoves and coal BBq`s,

we had four of these little Gems

View attachment 76695

which have worked great over the years, but find they drink Gas like nothing and run out oftern.

View attachment 76696

this was the kinda setup . .

View attachment 76697

View attachment 76698

two burners for food cooking and a third for the kettle, tea, coffee etc . .

View attachment 76699

which has worked well enough . . .

View attachment 76700

The question was to Cadac or Not To Cadac . . . . ?

id been watching the Cadac camp guys over the years . .

The caravaners loved them as they could be easily connected to the caravans gas supply.

the campers liked them because the packed down relatively small.

The gastro chefs liked them because they were powerful and run HOT.

so after seeing the Cadac guys at Rutlant last year i thought it was time to Upgrade - again . . .

This was the kit we were looking at:

The Cadac Carri Chef 2 "Gourmet Cobo"

View attachment 76701

A highly versatile barbecue set-up that's fit for any occasion.

Whether you're planning a camping trip or cooking up an outdoor feast at home, the Cadac Carri Chef 2 Gourmet Combo is more than capable of feeding your needs.

It's easy to set up - no tools are required - and simple to light using the automatic Piezo ignition. It comes complete with a number of interchangeable cooking surfaces - including a Paella Pan - for a variety of cooking options.

The large 48cm cooking surface means that there's ample room for food for all of the family.

• Quick and easy to use - swap one top for another without any additional parts
  • Integrated lid and thermometer with a 48cm diameter cooking surface area
  • Dome hooks onto the side to act as a windshield and splashback protector
  • Comes with convenient carry/storage bag
Please note that to use this product you will need a gas regulator and hose (sold separately)

with the Cadac Dual Power Pak . . .

View attachment 76702

. . .

deciding do, we grabbed one.

nice and easy to assemble . . ., job done . .

View attachment 76703

or so we thought . . .

on testing and the first test cook . . . . some fried tomatoes . . lol.

we say that only one can was getting old/empty and the grill went out . . . ?

a bit of fidilling later and some Alien Vision Tech we found out that the Regulator was at fault, only allowing gas from one can . . .

View attachment 76704

the next day the Regulator was swapped out and retested . . . .,

View attachment 76705

View attachment 76706

much better with both cans performing great . . .

View attachment 76707

View attachment 76708

Cadac Carri Chef 2 8910-80-EU Carri Chef 2

View attachment 76710

have a look at the Dual Fuel adapter here:

Cadac Dual Power Pak - Gas Regulator and Hose Kit

View attachment 76709

what about Gas? . . . . . . . we found this great bulk deal - these seem a good deal for EN417 C500 gas..

Coleman Extra Value 6 x C500 Gas Cartridge (Pack of 6)

View attachment 76711

what about some extras . . . ?

just starting my Cadac Journey,

I've got one of these bags for the legs . .

Cadac Carri Chef 2 Leg Bag Black: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
Great prices on your favourite Gardening brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.
www.amazon.co.uk

1594196119875.png

I also Love DucksBack kit, got loads of there bags.

ill be looking at one of the large round ones below.

amzn.to

Amazon.co.uk : cadac bag

1594196213559.png

i got a cover too for when leaving it setup at camp . . .

Amazon.co.uk : cadac carri chef 2 cover

1594196481791.png

Caravan Covers | Motorhome Covers | Camping Bags | Ducks Back

View attachment 76712 ducksback.co.uk

1594196714554.png

1594196734093.png

and,

https://www.bagsandcoversdirect.co.uk/search/CADAC

1594196599650.png

Credits to:
@Dellmassive
@czmate1999
@CAB

links:
Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
Great post as ever DM! Can’t wait to taste your cooking, in fact sent my cadac back today as planning to camp next to you ;).

very nice . . .

my Leg Bag arrived today . . . . .

I Hadent seen the tool holder . . . . . .

hold on . . . . . .

Ordered . . . . Good find =]

weve been using the lower tray, but its not ideal.

1594378945816.png

At home, after numerous gas BBQs, it now has to be charcoal - usually on our Big Green Egg but we also have an old Webber one touch kettle that we use sometimes if we are cooking for bigger groups and/or have vegetarian friends to cook for. Having tried lots of solutions (Cassette stoves, double burners, small BBQs, Cobb, etc.), we converted to Cadac for camping years ago (currently have a Carri Chef 2 and a Grillogas, which is on semi-permanent loan to a friend) - think I was probably responsible for getting of lot of T6F members using them over the last few years :)

Top tip would be to get hold of some quick release connectors - Cadac Brass Quick Release Hose Nozzle We use these to allow quick change between supplies (we primarily use a BBQ point on the van which runs from the 907 in the gas locker but also have a Cadac power pack, a blue 907 regulator and a red patio gas regulator to give us other options). Even if you are only ever going to use one type of supply, another, not so obvious advantage, is that you can leave the short end of the quick release permanently attached to the Cadac rather than disconnecting the long tail and tubing (or risk damaging the tubing if left connected) every time you pack up. I also carry a couple of different lengths of tubing that can be daisy chained if/as required to connect to the van's gas supply and position wherever suits around the van to get out of the wind.

Update: @Dellmassive - sorry - I missed your link to similar on Amazon above!

With the power pack, be careful if you ever disconnect an EN417 canister before it is empty - they are meant to be self sealing but we have had 2 where the seal has failed and the gas has leaked.

The leg bag is a must buy accessory for everyone with a Cadac!

We bought a cover for the Grillo Gas but only ever used it once - didn't bother getting one for the Carri Chef.

I bought the utensil holder a few years ago but stopped using after the first time as, one thing I didn't account for, the hanging tools I've just used to flip a burger with, are too much of a temptation for our own and/or any passing dogs!!

The only thing we don't like about the Carri Chef is that the supplied pot stand is too big for all but the biggest of the sauce pans we use when camping - we have a couple of inserts we use to bridge the gap but not ideal.

Last edited:
new transport & storage kit is in . . .

we started off like this . . .

20200711_121344.jpg

i went for the DucksBack Large in Blue . . .

1594467891893.png

which looks like this . . .

20200711_121557.jpg

20200711_121702.jpg

20200711_121759.jpg20200711_121713.jpg

top quality as always from DB . . . .

looks big enough to take the Paella pan (with handles) too . . .

20200711_121845.jpg

it looks like it will all fit nicely . . .

20200711_121907.jpg20200711_122712.jpg

very happy so far . . .

Now i just need a storage containment system for those c500 gas canisters . . .

so far all I've come up with is a 9ltr storage box . . . .

1594468136005.png

1594468147590.png

1594468223008.png

what is everyone else doing for safe Gas storage and transport?

I wouldn’t store gas in a box like that unless you have drilled some holes in the bottom else, if one of the canisters leaks, it will fill the box from the bottom up and give you a potential bomb.

@Dellmassive just had an idea - you could use an old ski sock/tube to keep them together - I only have 2 of the C500 style canisters to play with at present but looks like it would comfortably take 4 or 5 of them??

IMG_5011.jpeg

Like it....

But I'm looking for some physical protection . . . . As the back of the van is full of sharp pointy things . . . And in a rush or stress..... I just wanna through big duffel bag and gazebos in the back without worrying about gas cans....

If we are carrying any gas in the van that is not in the gas locker we always make sure it is the last thing we put in before leaving home and the first thing we take out on site.

I remember that story....

Another good reason why I'm looking for a good durable storage solution for 4-6 C500 cans.

Back