New owner - Looking for expertise from this group!

Jw304

Hi All,
My wife and I have recently taken the plunge and bought a 2019 T6 highline campervan, and we are gearing up for 5 weeks away with our two kids over the summer. In the last minute panic there are a few questions that i could really do with some help on. Apologies that they are slightly scattergun, but couldn't find the obvious existing thread for each:

1. I have just picked up a second hand VW tailgate 4 bike rack. It has three locking arms, but no key. The rack is the VW T6 model. Is it as simple as just ordering a replacement key, or do i need to order 3 new barrel locks with keys - if so, any tips as to where would be best to pick these up from?

2. The van is fitted with the composition colour media system and only has speakers in the front cab. With the two kids in the back they struggle to hear the music unless volume is really high and then i can't hear myself think! Is this media system compatible with having rear speakers wired in? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction of the appropriate wiring loom and a basic speaker set (don't need anything high end!).....alternatively, is there a mechanism of removing the need for wires to a new set of rear speakers, by installing a bluetooth transmitter to the media system connecting to two bluetooth speakers (wishful thinking maybe!)??

3. There is a campingaz 907 cannister installed in a safety box near the rear of the van, which feeds the gas stove. This is fitted with a camping gaz adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-Ad...ocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-699930805621&psc=1), which then has a metal coupling attached to the supply hose and regulator, which eventually connects to the gas stove.....I am keen to take a gas bbq on our trip, and was hoping that i could tap into the gas cannister at the back. Has anyone done this? Is it just a case of buying the right hose and coupling that will connect the camping gaz adaptor to the gas bbq, although it's not obvious what the correct hose and coupling is!? If anyone has any experience of this or inspiration as to where i should look, it would be appreciated.

Any help on any or all of the above would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance, James

Reactions: CAB
Re the speakers, yes you can add rear speakers, the radio has a quad block in the back, you add the rear speaker wires to the quad block. You need to buy some pins off eBay for this. The rear speakers will work fine but for the front rear fader to work you will need to get the settings adjusted by someone with vcds- search on here for more on the speakers/ quad block. I bought cheap pioneers, work well

Welcome to the forum!

For the gas, I would say easiest thing is to take out the cylinder, so just turn off and undo the adapter, then get a separate bottle-top regulatior and hose for the BBQ.

Look at the locks on the bike rack. They have a 3-4 digit number on. Try a local lock shop first as they will be cheaper than VW, but VW should be able to supply the keys. You should have four keys. You could ask the seller if they have the keys?

IMG20230710175442.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

For the gas, I would say easiest thing is to take out the cylinder, so just turn off and undo the adapter, then get a separate bottle-top regulatior and hose for the BBQ.
Thanks very much CAB. I feel a bit stupid! Hadn’t realised that you could unscrew the adapter and gas wouldn’t leak! So hose and regulator should work just fine as you say!!

Reactions: CAB
Look at the locks on the bike rack. They have a 3-4 digit number on. Try a local lock shop first as they will be cheaper than VW, but VW should be able to supply the keys. You should have four keys. You could ask the seller if they have the keys?

View attachment 205075

I'm pretty sure the VW bike rack is made for them by Thule - so I'd try googling for "Spare Thule Keys"

First place I found seemed to do them pretty cheap and might be worth a shot if you know the key number: Replacement Thule Key N001 to N250 from WebKeys - replacement key cutting by mail order

@Jw304,

Welcome to the group... I am also new!

May I make a suggestion regarding the speakers dilemma, albeit perhaps not a permanent solution, but a quick one having some advantages.

I purchased a pair of these Bluetooth speakers.... you can get away with one but as a pair they link up to provide 'stereo' output.

Being that these are fully portable, it extends their general use to beyond the Camper. They are capable of producing quite impressive sound quality and can be sited in the rear of the van. I have mine situated as seen in the photo below.

Distinct advantages are that as independently powered speakers you are not using your vans power, as such. You can hook up to your phone and control them from there. They are powerful enough to give a decent performance throughout the van.

Even if you eventually get around to fitting the rear speakers and then getting the fading sorted, these remain quite useful, I believe.

Best regards, J.

Ps.excuse the bed roll.... just trying it out to see how it fits!!

IMG_5141.jpeg

@Jw304,

Welcome to the group... I am also new!

May I make a suggestion regarding the speakers dilemma, albeit perhaps not a permanent solution, but a quick one having some advantages.

I purchased a pair of these Bluetooth speakers.... you can get away with one but as a pair they link up to provide 'stereo' output.

Being that these are fully portable, it extends their general use to beyond the Camper. They are capable of producing quite impressive sound quality and can be sited in the rear of the van. I have mine situated as seen in the photo below.

Distinct advantages are that as independently powered speakers you are not using your vans power, as such. You can hook up to your phone and control them from there. They are powerful enough to give a decent performance throughout the van.

Even if you eventually get around to fitting the rear speakers and then getting the fading sorted, these remain quite useful, I believe.

Best regards, J.

Ps.excuse the bed roll.... just trying it out to see how it fits!!

View attachment 205077
Thanks for this. I did think about running portable Bluetooth speakers just from phone, but was wondering whether I could link the rear Bluetooth speakers up via the car media unit. But I don’t think the solution exists! Although, given this forum has solved 2 out of 3 nagging queries in a matter of hours, maybe the speaker conundrum will get solved too….??!! Thanks very much all, such a helpful group!

Hi All,
My wife and I have recently taken the plunge and bought a 2019 T6 highline campervan, and we are gearing up for 5 weeks away with our two kids over the summer. In the last minute panic there are a few questions that i could really do with some help on. Apologies that they are slightly scattergun, but couldn't find the obvious existing thread for each:

1. I have just picked up a second hand VW tailgate 4 bike rack. It has three locking arms, but no key. The rack is the VW T6 model. Is it as simple as just ordering a replacement key, or do i need to order 3 new barrel locks with keys - if so, any tips as to where would be best to pick these up from?

2. The van is fitted with the composition colour media system and only has speakers in the front cab. With the two kids in the back they struggle to hear the music unless volume is really high and then i can't hear myself think! Is this media system compatible with having rear speakers wired in? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction of the appropriate wiring loom and a basic speaker set (don't need anything high end!).....alternatively, is there a mechanism of removing the need for wires to a new set of rear speakers, by installing a bluetooth transmitter to the media system connecting to two bluetooth speakers (wishful thinking maybe!)??

3. There is a campingaz 907 cannister installed in a safety box near the rear of the van, which feeds the gas stove. This is fitted with a camping gaz adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camping-Ad...ocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-699930805621&psc=1), which then has a metal coupling attached to the supply hose and regulator, which eventually connects to the gas stove.....I am keen to take a gas bbq on our trip, and was hoping that i could tap into the gas cannister at the back. Has anyone done this? Is it just a case of buying the right hose and coupling that will connect the camping gaz adaptor to the gas bbq, although it's not obvious what the correct hose and coupling is!? If anyone has any experience of this or inspiration as to where i should look, it would be appreciated.

Any help on any or all of the above would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance, James
Post in thread 'T6.1 headunit removal tips?'
T6.1 headunit removal tips?

Welcome.

For the rear speakers you need one of these:

You simply remove the radio, unplug the connector block, plug the connector block into one side of the above and then plug the above into the radio.

Run the rear wires round to the back and install the speakers.

If you want speakers and pods too, then this is an option from the same company:

This is where and what the rear speakers will look like:

The rear speakers will work without coding - but you’ll have no fader function on the radio so sound will be the same volume front and rear. As mentioned by others coding via VCDS will activate the fader functionality.

I got rear speakers fitted in the cupboard over the rear seats, coded them for the fader but now have the fader on the fronts 100% as the kids complain all the time. They listen to their phones on EarPods!

Re. The bike lock. We have the same bike rack & tbh the locks are only basic & for show. We have a bike lock similar to the one in the link below. This goes around the rack & through all the bikes. The advantage is that you can take it with you on a ride & lock the bikes up elsewhere.

As I said above you just need the correct pins to add rear speakers to your quad block. This thread has more details

Re. The bike lock. We have the same bike rack & tbh the locks are only basic & for show. We have a bike lock similar to the one in the link below. This goes around the rack & through all the bikes. The advantage is that you can take it with you on a ride & lock the bikes up elsewhere.
Same here, but with Abus Granite d-locks. They're heavy but very robust (though the "uncroppable" claims may well just be marketing BS).

Back