Campsite Cooking - - How I done it - -

Just drill a few holes in the floor of your van - you’ll be fine :)

I've never managed the leap over to gas BBQs and always stick to Charcoal. We had been buying 'cheap' barbies for years and binning them due to rust etc. after a year or two but about 10 years ago saw a large Weber Kettle jobbie in the aisle of our local Waitrose on an 'end of summer' offer for £60, bought it and it's been used ever since (the cooking grill has been replaced once, two years ago). That experience made me go for Weber when we were looking for a camping barbie and we bought a charcoal Go Anywhere. I mentioned in another post that it's perfect to feed the two of us and the design means that everything else needed to cook (including the charcoal for a couple of nights but, obviously not the meat and fish!) can be stowed in it and it's also OK for use on any surface. If I lost it tomorrow, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Saying all that, we've never wanted to cook for ourselves every night but, if we
did, we might well look for something more versatile.
didBBQ001.jpgBBQ002.jpgBBQ003.jpg

Great thread timing!!

So in my list of cooking devices I’ve got a huge firepit with a grate in my garden, no good for camping.
Webber Go Anywhere gas version and charcoal version, they both work great, but a little the small side for my family now.
Lotus Grill, XXL, brilliant bbq, highly recommended, a little tricky to clean up on site though.

But now looking at a Cadac to keep in the caravan, it’s my 50th shortly and this would make a great pressie from my parents who have no idea what to get me.

The Carri Chef is on offer with the CaMHC, anybody seen it cheaper?

Great thread timing!!

So in my list of cooking devices I’ve got a huge firepit with a grate in my garden, no good for camping.
Webber Go Anywhere gas version and charcoal version, they both work great, but a little the small side for my family now.
Lotus Grill, XXL, brilliant bbq, highly recommended, a little tricky to clean up on site though.

But now looking at a Cadac to keep in the caravan, it’s my 50th shortly and this would make a great pressie from my parents who have no idea what to get me.

In polite circles, that's what we call 'having a barbie problem';)

Gas free in our van....so a low wattage kettle & an Outwell Induction Hob for when on EHU. This is incredibly fast but can be tricky learning the best settings for simmering etc. Then, for off-grid we have a Firebox which uses alcohol/meths in conjunction with a Trangia burner or can be successfully used with wood. It folds away into a tiny pouch and is easy to use with either fuel source. We don't cook inside the van but outside (under an awning if weather not so good).
So far, so good!
Some of the sites that offer campfires or firepits means another option is open to us.

Firebox info - Folding Firebox Campfire Stove (Gen 2) - Deluxe Kit
Prices start at about £64 or there is an even smaller version, the Nano Firebox, which is also excellent.

folding-firebox-campfire-stove-gen-2-deluxe-kit-45677-dv-p.jpg
outwell hob.jpg

Last edited:
What is this Firebaox wizardry? None of this stuff really exists until we see pictures and/or links;);)

I've had a few people ask me about the center ring i had on the Cadac . . .

this one . . .

1594756760827.png

1594756772971.png

they enable you yo have smaller potas on the grill.

this is what we used . . .

1594756855144.png

and this one . . .

1594756920396.png

more pics: . . . .

1594756760827.png1594756772971.png20200709_135224.jpg20200709_135238.jpg20200709_135253.jpg20200709_135312.jpg20200709_135411.jpg20200709_135414.jpg20200709_135539.jpg20200709_142015.jpg20200709_142625.jpg

Last edited:
packed up the Cadac today readuy for campout . . .

it packed away very well.

im very happy so far . . .

20200714_091028.jpg20200714_091035.jpg20200714_091518.jpg20200714_091416.jpg

it all fit perfectly (except the gas . . . which will be separate)

@Dellmassive - thanks for the "insert" link - they arrived on Sunday - exactly what I wanted.

Re your egg rings and grill mat combo - invest in a set of the Cadac Tapas bowls - we use them like mini fry pans on top of whichever plate we are using - great for cooking and containing eggs, beans, etc. - Cadac Tapas Dishes Set of 4

Great thread timing!!

We got the grillo from go outdoors a few weeks ago for £125(click and collect) - was £150 in store. I think it may have gone back up to £150 online but still cheaper then camhc

with our cadac safari chef we use it as an oven for warming up stuff using the pizza stone as a bit of a heat deflector quiche pies pizza croissants garlic bread, do toast on it its the original safari with the wire grill you can do jacket potato's if you par boil them first i have cooked a small chicken on it just to see if i could without cremating it came out perfect but i wouldn't bother on a campsite

Not so much an upgrade as a crusher. If I see you using that to make a brew in the car park field at Malvern, I'll offer my condolences:)

Not so much an upgrade as a crusher. If I see you using that to make a brew in the car park field at Malvern, I'll offer my condolences:)
My dad found it in his shed, we used to use it when we went camping in the 70's & 80's (I think it might be approaching a half century in age). I took it to my local camping shop to see if it was possible to get gas for it and the owner gave me a horrified look and went on to explain that these use high pressure gas and were very unsafe!

My dad found it in his shed, we used to use it when we went camping in the 70's & 80's (I think it might be approaching a half century in age). I took it to my local camping shop to see if it was possible to get gas for it and the owner gave me a horrified look and went on to explain that these use high pressure gas and were very unsafe!
stick a low pressure regulator on it and use the patio gas ;)

I also just picked up my Cadac Carri Chef 2. Managed to get one on ebay for a sensible price and to my surprise it was still boxed and looks like it hasn't been used. Came with a bunch of extras (leg bag, cover, hose and connector etc) and the chap gave me the original receipt as it's still under warranty. One happy camper here :somersault: I got myself a real bargain.

Back