Best tailgate bike rack - bang for buck

I dont know if it would be of use, but I have a Fiamma T5 two bike rack which is looking for a home. I've used it twice before realising that Im happier on a motorbike.

That's a awesome start for someone. Snap it up people, look at the forum delivery service.
Thanks @Graeme and welcome to the forum.

I was about to update a similar post I created a few months ago. As I have a roof spoiler I went for the Westfalia towbar with the Atera Strada for 4 bikes.

This is my first tester, about to go pick up the new bikes to fill it up !!!BikeRack.jpg

I have an Atera Strada for 3 bikes. Tried the makes but they wouldn't allow the tailgate to open fully

Hi guys. Im after a bike rack and thinking of VW one. Only thing putting me off a little is how high the bikes look to sit. Anyone have any issues getting under any carpark barriers with bikes ? Cheers

I’ve not tried, but it certainly is higher than the roof when there’s a bike on there. I’d guess it makes it about 2.5m with my bike on there.

Hi guys. Im after a bike rack and thinking of VW one. Only thing putting me off a little is how high the bikes look to sit. Anyone have any issues getting under any carpark barriers with bikes ? Cheers
Yeah you’re not getting under any height barrier with a bike on the rack. Unless you get a tow bar rack.

I have an altera rack which does hold the bike high but aside from the entrance to my own parking area I've been able to get into all parking areas, very, very slowly. Without damaging the saddle, just a little scrape. All at 2.1m. won't try 2.0m or less.
Try going for the ones with chain hung bars to avoid this. :thumbsup:
:D

I have an altera rack which does hold the bike high but aside from the entrance to my own parking area I've been able to get into all parking areas, very, very slowly. Without damaging the saddle, just a little scrape. All at 2.1m. won't try 2.0m or less.
Try going for the ones with chain hung bars to avoid this. :thumbsup:
:D

Which model is this that keeps the bikes that low? Thanks.

I was about to update a similar post I created a few months ago. As I have a roof spoiler I went for the Westfalia towbar with the Atera Strada for 4 bikes.

This is my first tester, about to go pick up the new bikes to fill it up !!!View attachment 46076

Looks good... and can you still open the tailgate with bikes on? Which tow bar model have you got? Thanks.

Hi there yes
I bought a tilting altera three bike holder and it tilts the bikes far enough to open my tailgate
It is tight and if the bike mounted nearest to the tailgate has straight handlebars even tighter. Basically I made it work and we have just had a very successful trip to Greece and back.Also my wife could operate it which was pleading Jamie if you want to speak I can give you my number

Last edited:
I got the Atera Strada having read that it's really the only option with a tailgate. And it works fine. But having used it, and in the past uses Thule's equivalent, I would say the Thule is much better quality and easier to use.

Back