Any experiences with the CamperVanParts pop top roof rack?

Stan Dingup

VIP Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to fit a roof rack to the pop top of my '17 LWB T6. Will be for transporting surfboards/windsurf boards if the whole family is away for the weekend or longer, if i'm just heading down to the beach for the day kit goes inside with no issues. As such, I'd like the cross bars to be fairly easily removable.

The kit is bulky but not heavy, probably less than 25kg if carrying everything and not too much aerodynamic drag!

I've seen the system that CamperVan Parts do a set which looks like exactly what I'm after but wanted to check in with the experience on here to see if anyone has fitted these and if they had any feedback?

1709122122541.png

Thanks very much and appreciate any tips/advice..!

Guess not then..! Have ordered one as it looks ideal for what i need. Will update the post once fitted. :cool:

I have the Reimo leisure active rails on my pop top for windsurf gear sea kayaks etc and they are mounted closer to the sides of the pop top than in the picture above. This positions the mounting bolts/nuts outside the canvas of the pop top so that they are not visible from inside so might be an option.

Thanks for the tip but ordered now..! CVP do an outside the canvas version as well but i went for inside as my pop top has raised sections along each side. The inside the canvas version should sit the rails just inside of the higher section of the roof so should be no increase in height when the cross bars aren't fitted.

Didn’t see your 1st post, I usually pay attention when “windsurf” is mentioned anywhere but I will blame the heavy duty pain meds I was on following hip replacement op. Our sea kayaks are 23 kgs each and even with a board or two as well we are still within the roof manufacturers 100 kg load limit, but I like that the bit of pop top holding the bars up is closest to the bit of van holding the pop top up,if that makes any sense (or just my OCD). But as you said windsurf kit isn’t that heavy so overall height and other factors more relevant. The inside the canvas fitment looks neat.

I see your point re having the weight as close to the support as possible but it looks to be well spread by the rails so reckon it'll be ok.

This will only be for carrying windsurf kit when I'm away with the family and the rear is needed for my daughter, awnings, dog etc. I have been working with The Ply Guys on an install to carry kit inside the van that is then removable for camping trips. Going in to have that fitted next week so I'll stick some photos up once done if you're interested..?

Guess not then..! Have ordered one as it looks ideal for what i need. Will update the post once fitted.
I had this rack fitted about a year ago, Not much to say really, does the job, looks neat and low profile, plenty of adjustment along the rail length for moving the bars. Adds 8cm height from roof to top of cross bar.
We mainly use it for a couple of inflated paddle boards.
You will need to think about how you reach up to strap things down, I use a small step ladder which also makes fitting our poptop thermo cover a bit easier.
Each foot has two bolts to fit with an Allen key, so bars can be removed in a few minutes, (with step ladder)
Rails obviously stay fitted to van,which are barley noticeable at 1.5cm high

Mine was fitted outside of canvas, cross bars are 150cm wide7856D174-7DEA-49B5-9B62-625D36EF03CB.jpeg7856D174-7DEA-49B5-9B62-625D36EF03CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Stan dingup please post photos, it’s good to see people’s different solutions for using their vans. We originally got our T 6 to to tow our caravan and lug all our water sports/climbing gear bikes etc around. Made a metal rack system for inside the van but got fed up towing a big box of air around, sold the caravan and converted the T 6 to a camper. Rethink how to carry all the gear. Went for the Karitek system which bolts on to the leisure active rails. Mainly to save the aging shoulder joints hoisting sea kayaks on to the roof. J cradles eye bolts roof boxes all fit on to the cross rails. It does add some height so not a good solution if that’s an issue. We had a small trailer which we used with a roof tent but now modified to carry wind surf kit, bikes, camping gear etc. Leaves more space in the van for bringing back beer and wine.E052C118-00AC-43EF-A07D-28C1805FC064.jpeg

Back