Best tailgate bike rack - bang for buck

Hi All,

Im looking at getting a spoiler and a Bike rack for the tailgate of my T6.

Is there any racks you would recommend?

I've seen a Fiamma Pro rack, would this work?

Thanks in advance.

If you're going down the spoiler then sadly you won't be able to get any racks to fit as they hook over the top of the tailgate. The spoiler will prevent this from happening. If you're set on a spoiler then you're only left with tow bar mounted bike racks as an option.

As Ed says, if you want a bike rack that hangs on the top of the door then you can’t have a spoiler. There is an alternative though. Get something like a Thule tow bar mounted bike rack and then you can fit a spoiler as there is nothing to interfere with it.

Does anyone know a company that makes a black one?

Oooooo I like your thinking... If they aren't available, it might be worth getting it painted or coated, but it would have to be a pretty robust finish to withstand the bikes and straps potentially scratching it. I guess that's why most are just the aluminium finish.

Powder coating would be an option but you'd have to disassemble it.

I've totally stripped down two Fiamma bike racks to custom build one for the garage of my Motorhome to house five bikes.
They come apart very easily, but some parts and caps were riveted, which again isn't a huge issue.

There is a T5 tailgate driving around locally to me with a black bike rack (4 bikes) i had a cheeky peek at it when I saw it in Sainsbury's car park. To me it looks black anodized. It certainly didn't look like a powdercoat.

Hi, anybody manage to adapt the standard VW bike rack to first the van when a VW roof spoiler is already fitted? I would like the range, but impossible to remove the spoiler.

If you have a towbar, then you do have another option.

LINKY

Not used mine in anger yet, just fitted, put bikes on, opened tailgate, bikes off and put it away. But seems well made, keeps the bikes well away from paintwork and avoids having to lift the bu66ers high up onto a rack. At £350 is reasonable to, that is if you have a tow bar fitted!

I'm pretty sure there's a tow bar mounted rack that you can use as well as towing...maybe a maxxrax (sp?)

I'm looking at a bike rack for 3 mountain bikes and wanted to ask for recommendations under £500?

Back