The Big Bike Carrier Topic - Hoping to build a FAQ and list of Racks

peter1987t

Hi Everyone!

I was looking for information about how to carry bikes with me on my T6, ofcourse I started with the Search function and there is A LOT of information in all the different topics.
I am dutch, therefor apologies for the grammar which might be incorrect. Feel free to point it out.

Proposal;
Can we create a 'one big topic' with the build-up of a FAQ and maybe a list of racks which are compatible, saying; "The Tailgate / barndoors, can still open"
@administrators, is this allowed? Beneficial?

Tailgate Racks
>Working solutions for racks mounted on the tailgate (to be added)>
  1. Fiamma
    1. ...
  2. Thule
    1. ...
  3. Which heavy duty tailgate shocks can be bought?
    1. ...

Towbar Carriers
Adding Open and Closed examples (as proof)

FAQ
  1. What do I need to take into account when loading bikes on my tailgate rack?
    1. Weight (max 60, depending on rack)
    2. There are reports of Dents in the tailgate when loading?
    3. When loading more than X bikes, it is adviced to strenghten the arms (heavy load)
  2. Can the Tailgate be opened with bikes (MTB? Wide handlebars)?
    1. Thule VeloSpace XT 3 Or Atera STRADA DL 3 - bike rack
  3. How about Ebikes on a tailgate rack?
    1. VW tailgate bike rack -eMTB?
  4. What is better when using Enduro/larger MTB's?
    1. Thule VeloSpace XT 3 Or Atera STRADA DL 3 - bike rack

What do I ask you:
  1. 1 picture works better than 1000 opinions, please post pictures of your setups (open/closed), brands and maybe which towbar you have. We can use these pictures as "proven" solutions.
  2. Ofcourse, this topic is also for questions, the answers we can list in the FAQ
  3. If you have reference topics, please post them, so we can list them here aswell.
  4. If you see a topic/question related to this topic, maybe link it to this topic?

Last edited:
Back