Bikerack friendly tailgate roof-spoilers?

stu22

Hi everyone, I am looking to replace the rear spoiler on my T6 for one that accomadates a bike rack - (I have the VW branded version of the Thule Wanderway).

I have seen this topic pop up on threads a few years ago but nothing more recently and I have found two options so wondering if anyone has had a similar change and has any comments or suggestions.

First up a new item (out of stock) on Transporter HQ -

Then the other option is the ABT spoiler (yes bringing back the old Nova GSI memories but I have to say I do quite like the look!
I have found a cheapo version on VeeDub, the normal ones are around £500 so this is much MUCH cheaper - has anyone bought / sprayed / fitted one and any comments?

Any other options out there? I have a T6 Tailgate and want the spoiler in gloss black.

Cheers :)

I think the THQ one has never been in stock... I called about this last month and told a very rough date of Nov for them having stock...

Why not modify a standard T6 tailgate spoiler to fit with the bike rack. There are a few threads on this if you search the forum.

Cheers both for replying- Chris that looks great, thanks for the photo. That is probably the answer then, can I ask how you cut it to get it to look so neat and any chance of a close up pic of the slots you cut.
Ta Stu

Cheers both for replying- Chris that looks great, thanks for the photo. That is probably the answer then, can I ask how you cut it to get it to look so neat and any chance of a close up pic of the slots you cut.
Ta Stu
I cut the slots with a thin metal blade in an angle grinder and a small blade in a multi tool. The hardest job was getting the spoiler off the van!
The slots are not perfect but I could fill the gaps with black silicone. I just placed the spoiler in position over the rack brackets and marked where to cut with masking tape and sharpie.
Cut the slots out too small and make them larger slowly until it is a snug fit.

IMG_9047.jpeg
I will add a better image later.

@Chris Sherwood Can you take a picture of the top of the spoiler to show what it looks like?

I like how snug you have made the fit.... I took my spoiler off due to fitting a bike rack, and intend to put it back on but haven't yet plucked up the courage to cut it!

View attachment 217151
Gary did you spray the bike rack? That looks great on the black van, mines dark grey but all gloss black extras so was contemplating dismantling and spraying the rack..... think that has convinced me its worth it

I stripped it down and had it powdercoated. Its fairly straight forward to do as most of it just bolts together.

All you need for the reassembly is x16 6.4x18mm black rivets - hope this helps!

Gary did you spray the bike rack?
That looks great on the black van, mines dark grey but all gloss black extras so was contemplating dismantling and spraying the rack.....
think that has convinced me its worth it

@stu22 have you cut and fitted your spoiler yet?

@stu22 have you cut and fitted your spoiler yet?
Hi, no not yet! I've got as far as removing the old one without causing paintwork damage, got rid of the adhesive with goo-gone and I have secured an ABT style one second hand from eBay which just needs a tiny bit of paint touching up before fitting. Im 95% confident the bike rack will fit under it but need to tape it up first as a trial, if not Ill have a go cutting one out and then fill it and have it sprayed.

Its never easy is it but more fun than actually trying hard at work etc! :)

Hi I am a fairly new member and just after some advice I have a tailgate with spoiler and looking for a bike rack do I need to remove the spoiler to fit one? also is anyone selling one I am based in Cardiff many thanks Steve

Back