Thank you, is it possible to swap the connector plugs from the barn door loom on to the tailgate loom ? Or is it not long enough, I notice all the wires are white how do you know what goes where?

Thank you, is it possible to swap the connector plugs from the barn door loom on to the tailgate loom ? Or is it not long enough, I notice all the wires are white how do you know what goes where?
See post #4.

On swapping the connectors I can’t remember if the crimp terminal-pin sizes were the same size or not. You could swap out the tailgate connector block for the tailgate connector block.. Worst case is you’d have to re-crimp them.
However.. If you’re selling your doors then the buyer would then need to buy a new connector and work out which pin went where.
Also, if you had to remove it ever, then the barn-door connector would need to fit through the tailgate rubber boot hole, which I think it doesn’t. So buy the corresponding male / female plugs,
make up a metre or so-long loom with the respective plugs to connect them (as opposed to soldering or what have you) and you should be good.

You’ll still need to run some cables back from this loom to the BCM, so you’ll be buying pins anyway.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve contacted a guy I know that makes looms I met on a caddy forum, the tailgate I’ve brought is off a California and has a genuine camera in it so I’ve asked him to make me a loom for that as well as adapter loom including the extra wires to the bcm, I’ll post on here if I’m able to get it off him

Hi everyone, in the home stretch of my T5.1 Barn Door to T6 Tailgate conversion. I have 3 wires remaining to connect, 2 for the rear wiper: Pin 3, wire 26 & Pin 4 wire 12. I cannot for the life of me find anything that tells where these connect. I also have wire 100 from Pin2 and cannot find anything to tell me what thats for or if its even needed. Everything is fitted, coding sorted and all other wiring connected. These are the last 3 bits to do then its done and dusted. Can anyone help me with this last puzzle?

Connecting the Heated Rear Screen.
This sounds easy but it was a pain. You need to change the heater controls for a matching unit but with the extra button for the heated rear screen. This is simply plug and play and no wiring is needed. It uses CAN to send a message to the BCM to turn on the rear screen or not.
I brought a unit from an old Golf for £10 and took minutes to swap over.

Using VCDS, go to Module 9 Central Electrics and enable Byte 15 Bit 7 Heated Rear Window installed.

You can check with VCDS through adaptions if the switched is pressed and recognised by BCM.

You now need to run 1x 2.5mm^2 cable from Pin73 of the white BCM plug to Pin 17 (check, it could be pin16). I'm assuming you already have the earth cable attached or you won't have the brake light or number plate lights.

I couldn't find the correct terminal to go in the BCM. It's the largest size pin 6.3 mm wide. If anyone knows where to get this terminal, please post on here. I used a pin from a BMW who I work for, but it doesn't click in correctly.
Are you sure the rear screen connects to Pin 73 of the white plug (B)? I've just been looking at my BCM and noticed there is no male connector of the BCM side, which is bottom left of the right hand side of the socket B in BCM. My BCM is 087 and I've also checked other versions up to 090 and none have a male connector in that space. Would you be able to double check or share images?

IMG_1999.jpg

@Littleblackflash @mmi Ok, I have one last wire to connect from the T6 tailgate. T17, Pin 2, Wire 100. Whats it for and where does it connect? The only thing I can think of is it's perhaps a trigger to activate interior lighting when the tailgate opens. Can anyone confirm this or otherwise and where it connects? I've worked my way through Tailgate Wiring and Interior Lighting Diagrams in Downloads, so far no luck...

Last edited:
@Littleblackflash @mmi Ok I found what T17o Pin 2 is for. It's the interior release switch and bulb illumination for the tailgate on track 190 to track 15, shown below. I have been through all the wiring diagrams from alarm, locking and lighting and can't find track 15 on any other documents to find its termination point. Do either of you know what it is? e.g. does it connect to BCM?

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 11.04.19.png

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 11.04.19.png

@Littleblackflash @mmi Ok I found what T17o Pin 2 is for. It's the interior release switch and bulb illumination for the tailgate on track 190 to track 15, shown below. I have been through all the wiring diagrams from alarm, locking and lighting and can't find track 15 on any other documents to find its termination point. Do either of you know what it is? e.g. does it connect to BCM?

View attachment 131872

View attachment 131871

Track 15 terminates T73b/4 on the BCM. You can pick this circuit up behind any illuminated switch

Deaks is right. It's only needed if you want the button to illuminate, it should still work as normal without it. I read somewhere that some owners connected the switch illumination to the number plate lights, but obviously this won't dim when you dim all the other controls but it's an easier job.

Did you get your rear wiper working?

Deaks is right. It's only needed if you want the button to illuminate, it should still work as normal without it. I read somewhere that some owners connected the switch illumination to the number plate lights, but obviously this won't dim when you dim all the other controls but it's an easier job.

Did you get your rear wiper working?
I have collected all the coding required just need to program through VCDS. I wanted all the wiring done at once, so I can code it all at the same time. Garage being kind enough to let me play with their computer, so don’t want to waste their time. So will find out next week.

I’ve also already run all the wiring to the BCM / fuse box after building my own loom to do so, so my loom terminates wire 100 at the BCM, so am that far in to it that its worth doing that extra bit while the dash trim and BCM are in bits. I have a thing about everything operating as factory.

On the home stretch with my T5.1 Barn Door to T6 Tailgate conversion. All hardware and electrics installed and on to the coding. Two lines of code that I understand are needed are not present via VCDS:

Byte 01, Bit 5: Central Locking/Rear Lid; Contact Controlled on Detent
Byte 07, Bit 5: Central Locking/Rear Lid; One-Motor-Lock installed

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is this a nuance between the T5.1 and T6? pics attached from VCDS.

Been working on this Since 1st June and thought that was it in the bag today...

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Thanks for the information Dave. How is your tailgate now, have you noticed any fatigue in the hinge area? Where did you get the information from that a genuine tailgated van has a stronger/thicker construction around the tailgate hinge mounting area?

I have a T5.1 that was converted by a previous owner from barn door to tailgate. I installed upgraded gas struts and a Fiamma bike rack a couple of years ago. I recently noticed fatigue in the hinge area and a small split next to the hinge. From what you mentioned, I'm relating that to the potential weakness in that area with the load and conversion? I do notice a slight flex in the roof/hinge area when closing the tailgate on initially pulling against the resistance of the struts. I also noticed some rusting in the hinge bolt area inside, where the tailgate conversion may have caused fatigue and moisture ingress??

View attachment 108132

View attachment 108133

First of all this is an awesome write up and follow on with so much useful stuff so thanks to all.

What's the consensus on the above quoted concern and the earlier post by Dave about the original tailgate chassis having additional thickness in the area of the hinges? I can't see any such difference in ETKA to confirm this, but it has worried me about proceeding with a tailgate conversion never the less.

I plan to use the strongest 1200N struts to hold up the tailgate with a rack and 2 or 3 bikes, so maybe 40-50kg additional to the tailgate itself. Should I be worried about excessive flexing/fatigue or has everyone else had no problems with this?

Cheers

Should I be worried about excessive flexing/fatigue or has everyone else had no problems with this?
Funnily enough I checked for fatigue only this weekend gone, and found none. Couldn’t see any flexing either and I’m using hefty struts for my Cali blind / chair-holder trim-piece.

Reactions: mmi
Hey guys, just read every page and found an issue I don’t think I’ve came across! (So likely my fault Haha)

I’ve started the tailgate swap on my 2017 (66 plate) transporter. Like most people got 99% of it completed but not the release handle / wiring side. I’ve paid to become a member on here to access wiring etc but still difficult for me to understand.

Few issues I've got… if anyone can give me definitive help to get this sorted I ’ll gladly send them a drink via PayPal!

- I naively thought the brand new tailgate harness I had purchased would plug into the new one, obviously we now know it doesn’t. I used the old barn door loom as a guide, cut and joined the wires to make a plug and play oem harness connecting what I can but I’m left with the wires from what originally plugged into the central locking motor, where do they go?

- adding the 2 wires to the bcm. I’ve purchased the pins from VW and checked the plug, seems like I need to connect to pin 10 and pin 23 on the BCM, I checked and pin 10 is empty but pin 23 is already used???

- When I add the wires to pin 10 / 23 where exactly do I connect them to?

I’d really appreciate any help if anybody knows and as said, gladly pay for the knowledge!

Thanks

Hey guys, just read every page and found an issue I don’t think I’ve came across! (So likely my fault Haha)

I’ve started the tailgate swap on my 2017 (66 plate) transporter. Like most people got 99% of it completed but not the release handle / wiring side. I’ve paid to become a member on here to access wiring etc but still difficult for me to understand.

Few issues I've got… if anyone can give me definitive help to get this sorted I ’ll gladly send them a drink via PayPal!

- I naively thought the brand new tailgate harness I had purchased would plug into the new one, obviously we now know it doesn’t. I used the old barn door loom as a guide, cut and joined the wires to make a plug and play oem harness connecting what I can but I’m left with the wires from what originally plugged into the central locking motor, where do they go?

- adding the 2 wires to the bcm. I’ve purchased the pins from VW and checked the plug, seems like I need to connect to pin 10 and pin 23 on the BCM, I checked and pin 10 is empty but pin 23 is already used???

I’d really appreciate any help if anybody knows and as said, gladly pay for the knowledge!

Thanks
There are lots of videos on YT on how to read VW wiring diagrams, I did try to find the one I used and post the link but didn’t recognise any of the hits. As far as connection 10 & 23 are concerned you will need to solder a joint with the wire already present and for the one empty all you need to do is fill the pin slot with the correct size of pin. Hope that helps.

Thanks
I created this table for my T5.1 Barn Door to T6 Tailgate conversion. In your case ignore the T5.1 column, only the Pin Number and T6 wire columns will be relevant. The numbers should correlate directly with pin and wire numbers on your tailgate. The coding can be found on previous posts on this thread. Good Luck.

F61B6C48-1686-4AF3-AB1B-5D8F006340C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back