I’ve done the wiring side of this conversion quite a a few times now, and please be aware that there is no such thing as a plug and play loom, I have considered making a full retrofit loom kit as it seems to be quite a popular conversion.

How much extra wiring involved depends on a few things.

Firstly, the original spec of your van.
Secondly, What you want the finished spec to be.

No matter what, you need to run some wiring from the BCM to the rear left hand side, and unless your van is or is going to be completely stripped out, then don’t even consider trying to run the wiring anywhere other than up and along the roof, it is so much easier and will save you countless hours.

I've seen some horrific attempts at this conversion, many done by so called “proper” camper conversion companies. Everything from bonkers, to downright dangerous.
You DO NOT need any relays, you do not have to cut into the lighting or sidelight loom, although it you want to illuminate an internal release button on the tailgate itself then you can take a supply from the number plate lamp using genuine connectors.

When done correctly all control and power switching is carried out by the BCM only.

if anyone needs any help let me know,

I found it easy to do. I'm amazed why anyone would come up with a relay solution etc when the OEM solution is cheap and so easy.

It gets more complicated when you add heated rear screen and wiper but all doable for a DIY job.

I found it easy to do. I'm amazed why anyone would come up with a relay solution etc when the OEM solution is cheap and so easy.

It gets more complicated when you add heated rear screen and wiper but all doable for a DIY job.
This is one example of what I found, this was done by a very well known conversation company from Devon/Cornwall way.

when I called them up they blamed another company for it!

the owner of the van had paid a fortune for the conversion, what you could see was really nice, it was all the hidden stuff that was terrible.

FD626F23-C9A4-48A3-A41D-E51E14FAD2BA.jpeg

FD5FC2CA-0106-49AB-BAEA-70FD057B653C.jpeg

715ADDFD-DE68-4995-B535-35FC1B7CD71E.jpeg

FA8FD7CF-968A-4184-88F4-EDE1C0F91178.jpeg

0EDB88EE-3D38-49ED-BCFE-78260BA69847.jpeg

27B0F4A0-0E85-4894-B1F6-92B82A4ADEA9.jpeg

90C32BDC-4E30-4A50-B9FB-D5BFE43F71A0.jpeg

0CE1D5E1-F006-414D-8CEA-5CACE8E97ED7.jpeg

4B619743-EEB5-4F75-AC4D-6F5D5FB48656.jpeg

Last edited:
Coding
Now you need to tell the BCM that a tailgate is fitted and it needs to look for the switch signal.
Using VCDS, go to Module 9 Central Electrics and enable these.
Byte 01 Bit 5 Central Locking/Rear Lid: Contact controlled on detent
Byte 01 Bit 7 Central Locking/Rear Lid: Rear Lid Locking/Unlocking via Central Locking
Byte 07 Bit 5 Central Locking/Rear Lid: One-Motor-Lock installed
(This is from memory, hopefully someone can check it)
I too am struggling with the coding, my coding seems correct (see pictures) but the tailgate still won’t operate..

A715E84E-24EB-4B96-8A90-78D9BE98A754.jpeg

3EDF0C2E-54C0-4582-B9ED-D9C953BCA811.jpeg

I'm after a bit of advice from you tailgate installers @Ads_Essex @Littleblackflash . My T6.1 (with a tailgate) was rear ended, (new bumper, tailgate etc) and I've been in a constant fight with the insurance / repair garage as the tailgate isn't aligned in my opinion. Living in France I just get the shrug of the shoulders and the comment that "its only a van, its the best we can do". I've given up on the garage(s) and insurance company, maybe I can fix it !!

The problem I have is the gap between the lights and the tailgate, its about 1.5mm larger on one side, not much but I see it every time I open it. To me it looks like the tailgate needs to move across (left to right) to equal out the gap. Can you advice from your fitting experiences is there is adjustment left / right and where is the best place to make the adjustments

IMG_8801 2.JPG

They did make an improvement on the above, just!! I do wonder if its still bend ......

TIA, Adam

I'm after a bit of advice from you tailgate installers @Ads_Essex @Littleblackflash . My T6.1 (with a tailgate) was rear ended, (new bumper, tailgate etc) and I've been in a constant fight with the insurance / repair garage as the tailgate isn't aligned in my opinion. Living in France I just get the shrug of the shoulders and the comment that "its only a van, its the best we can do". I've given up on the garage(s) and insurance company, maybe I can fix it !!

The problem I have is the gap between the lights and the tailgate, its about 1.5mm larger on one side, not much but I see it every time I open it. To me it looks like the tailgate needs to move across (left to right) to equal out the gap. Can you advice from your fitting experiences is there is adjustment left / right and where is the best place to make the adjustments

View attachment 119701

They did make an improvement on the above, just!! I do wonder if its still bend ......

TIA, Adam
Adam,
Aside from the gap, does the tailgate sit flush with the body? Try looking down the sides of the van to check.
Adjustment isn’t complex, but will probably require a few of you.
Loosen off these nuts with a box spanner and you’ll be able to move the tailgate:
F63BC00C-5D81-4B33-9FE1-C7309E588222.jpeg
First photo taken without nuts fitted.
886B9AF8-6CF5-4F66-A0AC-DDC0982A01AE.jpeg
(Second photo with nuts fitted)

Reactions: mmi
Adam,
Aside from the gap, does the tailgate sit flush with the body? Try looking down the sides of the van to check.
Adjustment isn’t complex, but will probably require a few of you.
Loosen off these nuts with a box spanner and you’ll be able to move the tailgate:
View attachment 119705

View attachment 119706
(Photos taken without nuts fitted)
Thanks for the quick reply @Ads_Essex . No down the side its off too, not so noticeable unless you look / feel carefully. I think it needs to all move about 0.75mm to 1mm to the left. I assumed this would need to be done by the hinges but no one has touched these as the nuts are behind the carpet lining - too much effort for them to access these !! I was going to cut it away carpet lining but I wanted someone to confirm there was adjustment here before I started butchering the lining. Thanks again, Adam

I too am struggling with the coding, my coding seems correct (see pictures) but the tailgate still won’t operate..
Byte 2 - change to 39 (now 30)
Byte 7 - untick bit 5.
Possibly also Byte 1 - untick bit 2.

Some background info:

Fine-tuning, if so desired enable tailgate autolocking by ticking Byte 1 - bit 3.

Byte 2 - change to 39 (now 30)
Byte 7 - untick bit 5.
Possibly also Byte 1 - untick bit 2.

Some background info:

Fine-tuning, if so desired enable tailgate autolocking by ticking Byte 1 - bit 3.
Works a treat! This forum really is the mutts nuts!!

Thankyou everyone so much!

I’ve done the wiring side of this conversion quite a a few times now, and please be aware that there is no such thing as a plug and play loom, I have considered making a full retrofit loom kit as it seems to be quite a popular conversion.

How much extra wiring involved depends on a few things.

Firstly, the original spec of your van.
Secondly, What you want the finished spec to be.

No matter what, you need to run some wiring from the BCM to the rear left hand side, and unless your van is or is going to be completely stripped out, then don’t even consider trying to run the wiring anywhere other than up and along the roof, it is so much easier and will save you countless hours.

I've seen some horrific attempts at this conversion, many done by so called “proper” camper conversion companies. Everything from bonkers, to downright dangerous.
You DO NOT need any relays, you do not have to cut into the lighting or sidelight loom, although it you want to illuminate an internal release button on the tailgate itself then you can take a supply from the number plate lamp using genuine connectors.

When done correctly all control and power switching is carried out by the BCM only.

if anyone needs any help let me know,
I’ve just done a 5.1 > 6 tailgate ‘facelift’ and haven’t been able to get the latch working yet. I’ve read a few things so far about relays and tapping the lighting which didn’t sound quite right so it’s good to read there is a more elegant solution! I’ve dropped you a conversation message so would be great to discuss.

help also needed if possible!

I’ve just done a 5.1 > 6 tailgate ‘facelift’ and haven’t been able to get the latch working yet. I’ve read a few things so far about relays and tapping the lighting which didn’t sound quite right so it’s good to read there is a more elegant solution! I’ve dropped you a conversation message so would be great to discuss.
I'm in the same boat and googled my way to this thread. I have a T5 (2007) with a T6 tailgate and I'm looking for a solution for the latch. I'm going to assume that the BCM has changed drastically from 2007 to 2016, so maybe I won't be able to find a solution via recoding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve just done a 5.1 > 6 tailgate ‘facelift’ and have it working by the latch haven’t been able to get the latch working yet. I’ve read a few things so far about relays and tapping the lighting which didn’t sound quite right so it’s good to read there is a more elegant solution! I’ve dropped you a conversation message so would be great to discuss.
Hi there I’m struggling with the rear lights at the minute. I’ve fitted the tailgate and have it working with the latch but haven’t attempted the handle yet. my 1st problem is the rear lights. I’m going from 6 pin t5 barn door to 5 pin t6 tailgate. I’ve pulled the wires from the socket and tried connecting one at a time to the light cluster but still messing on at the mo. Does anybody know the correct sequence?
thanks In advance There not led

Hi there I’m struggling with the rear lights at the minute. I’ve fitted the tailgate and have it working with the latch but haven’t attempted the handle yet. my 1st problem is the rear lights. I’m going from 6 pin t5 barn door to 5 pin t6 tailgate. I’ve pulled the wires from the socket and tried connecting one at a time to the light cluster but still messing on at the mo. Does anybody know the correct sequence?
thanks In advance There not led
The van is a 2011 t5.1 panel van

T6 also has a 6pin connector. I can't remember a T5 plug set up but the terminals are the same so you should be able to re pin it.

1625169020247.png

This is exactly what I've just done on mine. 2010 5.1GP > T6.1 LEDs. Works perfectly. Just need to add resistors, code out the brake light, and add a feed to get the left hand fog working.

(sorry tried to do as quote but its not having it)

1625169020247.png

This is exactly what I've just done on mine. 2010 5.1GP > T6.1 LEDs. Works perfectly. Just need to add resistors, code out the brake light, and add a feed to get the left hand fog working.

(sorry tried to do as quote but its not having it)

1625169020247.png
Did you t6 lights have 6 pins then Andy as mine only have 5 ? How did you add the feed for the fog light ?

Back