Altro Flooring Alternatives, Karndean Or Similar?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Is anyone using Karndean flooring (or Karndean style) in their van?
I've noticed quite a few convertors are using it now and it does look good.

Any pros/cons?
How hard wearing is it?
Do you bond it to the ply when laying it?

Cheers.

Is anyone using Karndean flooring (or Karndean style) in their van?
I've noticed quite a few convertors are using it now and it does look good.

Any pros/cons?
How hard wearing is it?
Do you bond it to the ply when laying it?

Cheers.
Hello.

I laid Karndean down on a ply floor, bonding it with epoxy (after assuming high temperature stuff would suit, but being advised that epoxy was better for temperature changes).

It was my first time laying it and was a bit of a task, but I’m happy with it (wouldn’t want to do someone else’s floor, though).

I have Karndean indoors and it’s very hard wearing. Haven’t finished the van so haven’t had time to use it in anger.

Hello.

I laid Karndean down on a ply floor, bonding it with epoxy (after assuming high temperature stuff would suit, but being advised that epoxy was better for temperature changes).

It was my first time laying it and was a bit of a task, but I’m happy with it (wouldn’t want to do someone else’s floor, though).

I have Karndean indoors and it’s very hard wearing. Haven’t finished the van so haven’t had time to use it in anger.

Cheers.
Any pics at all?

I was after a wooden style in a plank pattern, I believe this isn't available in altro hence my questions about Karndean.

I’ll get you one, but in the meantime @JaySal had this done at Bus Stop VW (and I’ve copied):

b9e5b175-bf4e-43c3-aedb-f7a578aed7b7-jpeg.22778

Karndean flooring with the detail strips to look boat-deck like.

Is the Altro better as thats what everyone seems to use. I saw some Gerflor I quite like, is the quality as good?

I asked this in a different thread.

But no replies :(

These are some Im looking at.

iHC2JjZURYug73obg2FsLg.jpg

Altro do a few wood effects:

5EeHnqwjQYum8f30eOAXYw.jpg

Its all about the wear layer on the top.
I fitted Karndean in my house about 15 years ago, and even with 3 children and three dogs, its worn very well.
Gerflor is very good, we fit a similar product of theres in gyms, which are open 24/7 365, and it will last 5-7 years even in that environment.
There is no need to use epoxy, its a real pain in the arse to use, Uzin KE66 is an excellent adhesive, and very temperature tolerant.
Tarkett, Altro, Gerflor, Polyflor all make sheet vinyl, with a wood design, and there all good.

E66F01C5-8205-4B61-8237-798685C05646.jpeg
I bought Karndean and supplied it for my converter to fit as I didn’t want Altro flooring - reminded me of my work floors too much. I was after a natural look to the interior and I’m more than happy with it.

Good thread, I've been thinking about redoing the floor in my caravelle to a wood effect.

Edit: just found this at Kiravans. Looks good and not a bad price.

wood_pre-cut.jpg

Last edited:
That looks brilliant. I had a look on Karndean website and whilst I could find loads of different types of wood effect I couldn't find one like yours with the strips.

One of my favourite floor finishing Adam. The black strips finish it off nicely. What width are the planks as they fit nicely within the rails?
Having just fitted bamboo tops to my Evo furniture, the winter project is a bamboo affect floor..... in Karndean

That looks brilliant. I had a look on Karndean website and whilst I could find loads of different types of wood effect I couldn't find one like yours with the strips.

Their website isn’t that great when searching for specifics. I’m going to a local supplier to check on what’s available. The black strips are sold separately

Their website isn’t that great when searching for specifics. I’m going to a local supplier to check on what’s available.
The black strips are sold separately
Yes, the website isn’t that great is it. I found eBay suppliers placed more info on their adverts.

One of my favourite floor finishing Adam. The black strips finish it off nicely.
What width are the planks as they fit nicely within the rails?
Having just fitted bamboo tops to my Evo furniture, the winter project is a bamboo affect floor..... in Karndean

Thanks mate. I don’t think I’d lay it again in a rush.. the pro’s make it look easy!

Something tells me the planks are 100mm and the strips 5mm, but I’d have to double-check.
I’ve just dropped the van in to the garage for coilovers so can’t measure, but remind me in a few days and I’ll let you know.

Ah, so they are 'plank' like in their application? I thought that they were more like a sheet.

I’ve just checked my eBay account and it looks like the specs were:

Karndean American Oak - Knight range (KP40) 150mm x 914mm x 2mm
1 & ½ boxes.

Karndean black feature strip 5mm x 2500mm x 2mm

Just in to two packs (literally just - I think I used two or three strips).

Ah, so they are 'plank' like in their application? I thought that they were more like a sheet.
Yup, planks, which makes them “easier to cut and fit”. I’ve used their contact adhesive in the past, which again makes for easier installation

I’ve just checked my eBay account and it looks like the specs were:

Karndean American Oak - Knight range (KP40) 150mm x 914mm x 2mm
1 & ½ boxes.

Karndean black feature strip 5mm x 2500mm x 2mm

Just in to two packs (literally just - I think I used two or three strips).

Cheers Adam

Back