Karndean flooring what adhesive to use

i have enjoyed some of the threads on the karndean flooring options and plan to install the narrow oak planks with the black strips which seams to be popular with some.
I haven't laid vinyl flooring before so wanted to check what adhesive people use for the karndean planks and is suitable for a Van, the best option seemed to be high temp so something like F48plus but this only come in 5liter which is way to much, anyone know of less quantity or more affordable option
Thanks

I can't find the details of my order but you want epoxy adhesive. Horrible two pack stuff, like Araldite, and really messy to use but has a good temperature and moisture range. Needs to go on really thin because it leaches up through the joints which of course ensures it's all sealed but I used a fair bit of white spirit cleaning up... I can't remember the size of the tub but I used quite a bit of it (I probably laid it too thick!)

thanks for reply…wow epoxy sounds a bit overkill I was considering high temp stuff but you reckon epoxy is best ? I had assumed it wasn’t necessary. Was it difficult to work with?…. I’m guess a mask and gloves are needed which makes it harder to lay…..It’s my first time lying floor and it probably a bit harder than average as I will have the black strips so want it to be as stress free as possible but I do also want it to last

Epoxy was what was recommended by a load of people when I did mine. Gloves definitely needed though! I have black strips in mine too, and it's been fine, wearing really well over the last 18 months that it's been down. Easy enough to work with apart from the mess, the floor did tend to creep whilst it was setting so I weighted it down in sections to hold it in place. Not too challenging all in all.

Thanks for all your replies, i think i will probably go with the F48+ and just be left with half a tub left over, seems a bit easier and sounds less stressful than epoxy

I'm based in south london and plan to complete the flooring in the next week or so, just ordering what i need atm

this will be my process,,,,,,
stick down some 9mm battons, Then cover whole floor with Dodo matt deadnduo pro over the top

Screw a 9mm 2 piece ply floor from custom designs on top

dry lay karndean, 1 pack of da vinci american oak RP11 and 2 packs of ebony strips,

Trowel F48+ then lay the karndean floor. start from the middle and work to edges

finish off with deep komb step and premium threshold from THQ

sit back and look at a great job well done.......

Quick questions.
What does every do about the transition from cab to rear. any threshold or ideas for a smooth finish from where the karndean floor starts, just behind the frot seats?
How easy are the rear threshold and currrent step to remove and any techniques for getting the new ones to fit ?
I'm hoping the Deadduo plus 9mm ply floor and then karndean should get me up to the high if the deep kombi step? i know most people go for 12mm
Any particular adheisve for the 9mm batons to stick to metal?
Will 2.5sqm of dodo cover the whole of the back floor (swb)?

Thanks

Use a hairdryer on curved bits to warm it up a bit. Easier to cut then. Like others have said F48 is fine. Just trowel it on then when it turns from white to beige start laying. Get the proper trowel though as some are too notched and the adhesive will sqidge (is that a word lol) through the joints.
Good luck!

BJ

Took me a while but i've finally got around to and completed the dry laying the kardean floor......looks good and 1 pack of planks and 2 pack of strips was just about enough.....
Going to put down the F48+ next to stick it down, not used before so any last tips let me know, i guess i start with furtherest away and move closest to the door and do it in one go....Will trowel with A2 as suggested and wait for it to turn beige..... any tips welcome...

Glue the whole area mate. Take your time otherwise it’ll go everywhere. It won’t go off that fast. When you get to the last bit check every once in a while to see if it tacky and not wet then start laying at the bit you glued 1st. Lay the planks in the glue and away you go.
You can use a rubber roller to help if you have one. Excess glue you can remove with white spirit but use sparingly as you don’t want to get it in the joints and then under them.
It’s easier than you think mate so you’ll be fine!

Glue the whole area mate. Take your time otherwise it’ll go everywhere. It won’t go off that fast. When you get to the last bit check every once in a while to see if it tacky and not wet then start laying at the bit you glued 1st. Lay the planks in the glue and away you go.
You can use a rubber roller to help if you have one. Excess glue you can remove with white spirit but use sparingly as you don’t want to get it in the joints and then under them.
It’s easier than you think mate so you’ll be fine!
F48 is water based so no need to use white spirit, that will strip the west layer on the Karndean.

There needs to be transfer of adhesive to the back of the Karndean too, so don’t let your glue off too much or it will be as useful as bluetac, enough grab to hold it, but as soon as your van heats up on a sunny day, it’ll just let go as the Karndean expands.

You could use Uzin KE2000s, it’s available in a 2kg tub, give it 5 minutes to air off and then lay into it. Give it 24hrs before you load it or try & drill / screw through it.

And be careful if you heat it. The wear layer will “bloom” (go real shiny) with too much heat, and changing the dimensional stability will lead to issues further down the line unless you can heat it to the right temp, shape it, and then return it to the ambient temp straight after.

White spirit to get the glue off your hands as once it dries it’s a bugger to get off. As I said use sparingly.
To be fair it’s a van floor and you’re not gonna see much of it once the vans full.
It’s not like it’s gonna be a Aston Martin Showroom :fast rofl:

White spirit to get the glue off your hands as once it dries it’s a bugger to get off. As I said use sparingly.
To be fair it’s a van floor and you’re not gonna see much of it once the vans full.
It’s not like it’s gonna be a Aston Martin Showroom :fast rofl:
Screw that. Wouldn’t want that stuff on my hands. Water based adhesive, wet or dry on your hands will come off with warm soapy water.

As for the showroom…think there’s a fair few in here who would disagree with you!

So am I but you and I are professionals. Beginners can make a mess like my apprentice.
He dropped the trowel straight in the tub the other day. :think smile bounce:

So i completed the floor yesterday and it was quite simple in the end, even for a novice like me. I did use the the f48plus adhesive which worked a treat and not that difficult....i used a wet sponge to remove any excess adhesive........And now i have about 3/4 of a tub left tho so if any one wants let me know.

My next question is about the rear thresholds and step ... i think i will get the following one as it's longer and wider than the trasnporter hq (which i sent back)

Also struggled to fit the kombi step so sent that back but apparently a lot of people struggle fitting the step.. Anyone git suggestions on the deepest step or easiest to fit..

And finally does any one use a threshold strip or similar for behind the seats

Thanks for everyone's advice as it gave me the confidence to do it myself ....

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

Back