Altro Flooring Alternatives, Karndean Or Similar?

Ah, so they are 'plank' like in their application? I thought that they were more like a sheet.
No mate, planks that are 2mm thick. You stick them down with whichever adhesive suits the environment. I was advised to use epoxy instead of high-temperature stuff, as the high-temp wouldn’t be great when it gets really cold apparently.
The planks and strips are flexible to a degree - you can heat and bend them, and they’re pretty resilient to scratches.

I’ve just checked my eBay account and it looks like the specs were:

Karndean American Oak - Knight range (KP40) 150mm x 914mm x 2mm
1 & ½ boxes.

Karndean black feature strip 5mm x 2500mm x 2mm

Just in to two packs (literally just - I think I used two or three strips).

Cheers Adam

I was rather confused when choosing my flooring planks as the KP40’s looked too slim for 150mm.. they are in fact 102mm. @j4ckal has used 150mm planks, which provides the view of how the Amtico will look :):):)

I have a bloody great roll of Altro going ,its wood effect £30 I can email a picture over if anyone is interested collection from shropshire .

Karndean / Amtico/ polyfloor / Altro/k trade /LVT /Fusion to list a few all do a wide range of vinyl plank and tile effect with different surface wear thicknesses and feature strips so there are loads to look at it just depends on your taste as some wood planks come with a bevel aswell which gives the floor a better more natural look ! It’s easy enough to fit if you have good diy skills ! There is no need for the high temp adhesive in a van so the karndean pressure sensitive adhesive is what I use in 90 % of applications which has to be applied with a A2 notched trowel and then left to go tacky ( around an hour ) depending on ambient temperature then the floor can be laid but remember once a plank has been laid there is no lifting it back off again as it will pull splinters off your ply !
Hope that helps

Bloody keen for this flooring. Prices, accessibility ? Go nicely with our Slidepod when get it

Bloody keen for this flooring. Prices, accessibility ? Go nicely with our Slidepod when get it

I got mine from a local flooring shop that I use for the house. Think it was around £160 included the design strips, they did a deal on it as they had some in stock (well they said it was a good deal, I'm guessing a cancelled order or surplus from a job). You need adhesive, not much, they chucked me some in a tub as I know them. Oh and a 2mm (iirc) notched trowel, I had to order one off tinternet.

Folks I'm going to go with Karndean KP40 but have been watching installation videos and they all suggest you need to put a skim coat/levelling screed down to both seal the ply and take out any inconsistencies... Have you guys done that and if so what materials did you use?

The Karndean own products (pressure sensitive adhesive and skim coat) together cost almost as much as the floor itself!

I'm laying it on a new ply floor but because theres silent coat and insulation foam underneath there are minor inconsistencies in height across the boards (1-2mm max) and a few gaps/screw heads to fill.

Did you just use adhesive and let that fill any minor variances or did you put a levelling compound like feather coat down?? Feels like overkill for a van but equally don't want to do it wrong and waste the expensive Karndean...

Any help on specific products (sealers/levelling/adhesives) would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Folks I'm going to go with Karndean KP40 but have been watching installation videos and they all suggest you need to put a skim coat/levelling screed down to both seal the ply and take out any inconsistencies... Have you guys done that and if so what materials did you use?

The Karndean own products (pressure sensitive adhesive and skim coat) together cost almost as much as the floor itself!

I'm laying it on a new ply floor but because theres silent coat and insulation foam underneath there are minor inconsistencies in height across the boards (1-2mm max) and a few gaps/screw heads to fill.

Did you just use adhesive and let that fill any minor variances or did you put a levelling compound like feather coat down?? Feels like overkill for a van but equally don't want to do it wrong and waste the expensive Karndean...

Any help on specific products (sealers/levelling/adhesives) would be much appreciated!

Thanks
You could use Ardex Feather finish, but it is expensive, about £50 a bag, and you will only need a cupful.
Are there any joins in the ply ? Is that what its for ? If so could you just run a planer over the high spots ?
So long as the screw heads are below the top of the ply, they will fill with adhesive.
5 litres of adhesive will be about £30. F-Ball F46 or F44 will be as good as Karndeans own adhesive.

Where abouts are you ?

As above no need for a skim cost unless you have a step between two pieces of ply , no need to fill screw holes as these will never show through the flooring , if you do use something like feather finish then you will need to prime this afterwards as the glue does not stick well to it

As above no need for a skim cost unless you have a step between two pieces of ply , no need to fill screw holes as these will never show through the flooring , if you do use something like feather finish then you will need to prime this afterwards as the glue does not stick well to it
It will stick to it perfectly, its what the product is designed for.

Straight onto the ply with mine, but it is a one piece floor.
Adhesive wise they chucked me some in a container (out of one of their bulk tubs) when I collected the flooring, you don't need much at all. I had to order the knotched trowel, couldn't find one in any shops.

Thanks will have a look into the F-Ball stuff you mentioned. The difference in heights is really minimal it was more about gaps between the board but they're only 2mm at the most, the adhesive should sort it.

I'm based over in Manchester, Salford.

Kp40 night tile is a very flat no texture with no Bevil to the wear layer that plyboard needs to be a minimum of 6mm marine ply fixing 100mm apart with a minimum of 19mm ringshank or 20mm screw if it's one sheet of ply with no joints your be ok with no feather and use fball 48 high temperature glue don't use f46 or f44.

Hard floor fitter used to do some of dirty weekenders karndean in there vans years back and seen bad fitting by not correctly installing

Kp40 night tile is a very flat no texture with no Bevil to the wear layer that plyboard needs to be a minimum of 6mm marine ply fixing 100mm apart with a minimum of 19mm ringshank or 20mm screw if it's one sheet of ply with no joints your be ok with no feather and use fball 48 high temperature glue don't use f46 or f44.

Hard floor fitter used to do some of dirty weekenders karndean in there vans years back and seen bad fitting by not correctly installing
I doubt they will be fixing at 100mm centres in a van floor ?
Why marine grade ? Any floor grade ply would be fine.....

No you won't get it to 100mm apart but try and get it as close to that just because of bounce and movement. Marine/sp101 ply is developed for the installation of floor coverings. Just don't use cheap or the wrong ply for the job because of delamination or to much moisture in the ply

Back