Altro Flooring Alternatives, Karndean Or Similar?

It will be quite hard to cut all pieces first as they will move while trying to set them out , I usually cut the first couple before glueing then you can measure and cut them as you go the straight cuts just need scoring with a Stanley knife then they will snap , but some of the higher price ranges like van gough are harder to work with as the are thicker ,
Yeah I think I’ll be sticking them as I go but could you bond all the Karndean on to the ply before fitting the ply with the Karndean fitted into the van? Thinking it might be easier as I could just fit the Karndean with a overhang then scribe and cut around the profile of the ply or use a router to trim it to the ply.

Take a look at “click vinyl” 100% waterproof and no adhesive needed. Very hard wearing too.

Take a look at “click vinyl” 100% waterproof and no adhesive needed. Very hard wearing too.
Click vinyl can expand dramatically with heat, so just be careful.
It can be stuck down, which does away with expansion, but sort of defeats the object.

Just curious if your using a one piece floor, have you’s been fitting the Karndean to the floor and trimming it to the ply before bonding the floor in the van?
yes, once piece ply, shape that to fit to van, then remove and lay flooring. There are a few little places where I let the Karndean overlap, like the area beneath the drivers seatbelt, as that was a pain to scribe near.
The ply was such a snug and heavy fit that, with the furniture and bed on top, didn’t need bonding down.

yes, once piece ply, shape that to fit to van, then remove and lay flooring. There are a few little places where I let the Karndean overlap, like the area beneath the drivers seatbelt, as that was a pain to scribe near.
The ply was such a snug and heavy fit that, with the furniture and bed on top, didn’t need bonding down.
Nice one. So the floor is literally just down, no screws or glue. Any flex when walking on it?

Nice one. So the floor is literally just down, no screws or glue.
Any flex when walking on it?
Yes.
No - only a creak where I didn’t cut enough out beside one of the clips of the floor rail.

Yes.
No - only a creak where I didn’t cut enough out beside one of the clips of the floor rail.
I screwed mine down and I thought they were flush but over time they have protruded into the vinyl a bit so I'm thinking of removing the screws and just having it sit there like yours. Mine is a 1 piece too.
Then I will re vinyl the floor most probably with Karndean this time round!

I've ordered some Karndean flooring for my van so just researching adhesives at the moment. There seems to be conflicting advice on whether high temp adhesive is required!

It looks like I need some form of hand roller too. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking at this one on Amazon:

Screenshot_20230211_072319_Amazon Shopping.jpg

A high temp is a good idea, Uzin KE66 is ideal.
You need a notched trowel, maybe a 1.5mm notch or a A2.
Spread the adhesive, and lay the tiles into it wet. Work back on yourself, so you don`t need to crawl around on the tiles you have just laid, as the adhesive will come through the sides.
You don`t need a roller.

That's similar money to the Karndean HT adhesive.

Any thoughts on this Mapei adhesive? It's cheaper, gets good reviews and available in my local Screwfix, that's all!

Ultimately if the Uzin KE66 or Karndean HT will be much better for the extra £25, I'll go for it as it's negligible given the cost of the whole project. If they'll be similar then may as well go for the Mapei as that's also a good brand?

Screenshot_20230212_210832_Screwfix.jpg

Back