I understood that yep defiantly the CC-SUV for best summer/warmer road holding, more suited to higher performance/faster driving.
But the tread depth of a CC-SUV is hardly 7mm; and around 9.5+mm(I think) on ACC; plus the voids are quite bit wider.
Most of the tyre related element of grip off-road comes from the tread (in silty/clay soils)
The Walls are more highly reinforced/protected on the ACC, and loadings are sky high so I guess the ride could be a tad stiff.
The ACC tyres on our two commercials look pretty aggressive compared to the CC-SUV

I think all tyres are a compromise to some extent, some+, and some-, influenced by personal needs/wants I guess.
So for lots of people the CC-SUV is more suited to their needs imo, just not mine.
I'll take your word for it cos I've never tried them but his exact words to me were "We'e bringing out a van version in about 3 months that will be a bit harder wearing and more aimed at the commercial market who are willing to sacrifice that last 5% of grip for a 30000 mile life as they spend most of their life on the motorway".

I'll take your word for it cos I've never tried them but his exact words to me were "We'e bringing out a van version in about 3 months that will be a bit harder wearing and more aimed at the commercial market who are willing to sacrifice that last 5% of grip for a 30000 mile life as they spend most of their life on the motorway".
To be fair, that statements about right from my understanding, but I think "grip" relates to on road grip.
I would have thought you would get 30k miles from your CC-SUV with rotation, good tyre care, and not driving too hard.
What milage do you think you'll get?

Just out of interest, did the rep mention the difference between CC & CC-SUV?

To be fair, that statements about right from my understanding, but I think "grip" relates to on road grip.
I would have thought you would get 30k miles from your CC-SUV with rotation, good tyre care, and not driving too hard.
What milage do you think you'll get?
I told him that I'd be using them in wet muddy fields and that was when he recommended the SUVs, though to be fair advising someone to buy a product you currently sell over one that hasn't come out yet is a bit of a no-brainer for a rep! He told me I should "easily" get 18-20k+ out of the SUVs, with maybe a little bit less on the driven axle depending how I drive. I rotated them 2 weeks ago after 6000 miles and they were showing virtually no wear on the back and about 1mm on the front (it's 2wd)

VW Amarok 18" re-finished in "Warm Smoked Chrome"

View attachment 52386

Hi Chris. What size are these tyres? I'm picking up a set of the same wheels and have ordered some Nokian weatherproofs 225/45/18. I couldn't find any 225/55s. Is that going to work okay? Is the drop from 45 to 55 really noticeable?

Also, do you know if I'll need spacers with this setup if I'm having it lowered 40mm?

Many thanks.

I'm running 235/55/18's
These work fine with a 30mm drop; I think they would be OK with a 40mm drop also.
Mine have a 25mm spacers on each wheel, although given that the Amarok has 10mm more off-set (10mm less ET), than the VW T6 wheels such as Devonports; the better spacer solution for my set up would be " 25mm on each rear: 10mm or 15mm on each front "

... in Italy there is only the Cargo model with load index 106-109th .... I have the model on the right in the picture ... it's good on the road, snow, I don't know in off-road ...

I'm running 235/55/18's
These work fine with a 30mm drop; I think they would be OK with a 40mm drop also.
Mine have a 25mm spacers on each wheel, although given that the Amarok has 10mm more off-set (10mm less ET), than the VW T6 wheels such as Devonports; the better spacer solution for my set up would be " 25mm on each rear: 10mm or 15mm on each front "
Okay. Brill. Thanks for that, Chris. I've got the same tyres and have ordered 15mm spacers all round... it's booked in next week for fitting and lowering 40mm! So hopefully it will all look okay :thumbsdown:

... in Italy there is only the Cargo model with load index 106-109th .... I have the model on the right in the picture ... it's good on the road, snow, I don't know in off-road ...
Can't you get the Nokian Weatherproof SUV ? in italy

IMG_20191021_144246.jpg IMG_20191021_144254.jpg Nokian Weatherproof fitted 235 55 18 on 18" X 8 Dezent TE Dark wheels and standard suspension. More comfortable than the original Devonports, Speedo now matches GPS speed exactly.

... the tire dealer has ordered the model with a herringbone tread three times ... and all the other tires have arrived three times ... at that point I took advantage and asked for a super discount ... it is me went well .. 400 euros 4 tires mounted ...

Good question, I'm running mine at 45 psi but I might increase them. My fuel consumption worsened by 4 mpg when i changed the 16 inch van wheels and tyres for the 18 inch wheels and Nokians. I rarely carry more than 200 kg in the back and often none at all. I guess van specific tyres are designed with durability and fuel economy in mind.

Thanks. I'm not sure what's even in mine - I forgot to ask the garage that fit them last week! I haven't checked the fuel consumption yet, but I did notice that the acceleration wasn't as good when pulling onto the motorway.

Please don't assume that 45 psi is the correct or optimum pressure, its just my best guess and I think I might try a slight increase to hopefully improve economy as long as it isn't at the expense of handling or safety. I'd be interested to see what pressures others with 235/55/18 are using.

I've gone with the 235/55/17 - light load pressures 44F:39R (I run lightly loaded)
Then because the tyre 235/55/18 is slightly larger & it's maximum load is slightly larger(104); the foot print is therefore slightly larger, so the ground pressure is slightly less; therefore the pressure can/should be reduced slightly; so I've gone with 44-1=43F:39-1=38R

Back