Aux Battery Location - Multivan

amb217

Hi all, I am awaiting a 2018 Multivan SWB for the growing family. Unfortunately the dealer didnt tell me about the OEM VW factory fitted second battery option. Now I have been doing some research and come across this forum.

They are offering to put one behind the rear wheel arch in the boot but that doesnt seem practical.

I have seen this thread; https://www.t6forum.com/threads/2nd-battery.7908/

A few questions;
  1. Where is OEM Factory 2nd located when installed? Any pictures of this?
  2. Has anyone had any luck fitting an OEM one post factory by a dealer?
  3. TravelVolts seems to do the aftermarket kits, Does anyone have any pictures of this? I am reluctant to do this at the moment to avoid warranty issues.
Cheers
Anthony

Our factory AUX battery in under the double passenger bench. (Panel van). Some pics in the link you quoted.

They are normaly fitted under the front seat. Ie drivers seat. The Calli version has additional batteries in the rear also.

@travelvolts can install the OEM kit (BCM fed relay) or the updated Dc-dc charger (BCM/IGN fed charger) kit that is better than the OEM kit. (Again normally under the front seat/s)

For what it's worth, we have replaced the OEM relay with a Redarc dc-dc charger (from travelvolts) as the OEM solution didn't keep our Aux battery charged sufficiently.

I'd be interested to see what the dealer quoted you to fit the Aux battery......that s if they even will do it.

https://www.travelvolts.net/gallery

Our factory AUX battery in under the double passenger bench. (Panel van). Some pics in the link you quoted.

They are normaly fitted under the front seat. Ie drivers seat. The Calli version has additional batteries in the rear also.

@travelvolts can install the OEM kit (BCM fed relay) or the updated Dc-dc charger (BCM/IGN fed charger) kit that is better than the OEM kit. (Again normally under the front seat/s)

Thanks @Dellmassive, firstly, the Multivan here in Australia has a captains passenger chair (I cant remember if it swivels), so slightly different to your double bench so I dont know if it can be done the same?

Ill go find the quote and let you know.

Single or double its still factory fitted under the front passenger seat
Not having it factory is not the end of the world, VW use a very basic split charge system that will charge the battery but not fully/very well, IMO you are better off with an aftermarket DC-DC charger than can deal with the variable voltage the smart alternator supplies
As long as it is installed correctly it will not affect your warranty, i know its a bit stricter in aus when it comes to modifying and can require certifying etc but adding a second battery is quite a common process
Im sure a few of our aus members may have more info having already walked this path @Bryn23 @GarryM ?

Thanks @Pauly

@Dellmassive - Last nights conversation with the dealer was slightly different, from fitted, $1400 behind the rear wheel arch, to $1000 under the front passenger seat.

Possibly thinking to get them to install, then myself swapping the relay out for the DC-DC charger (I hope I read the other thread correctly, i am primitive)
Is there any questions I should be asking them?

As @Pauly said factory install are under front seats,

so i suppose if depends if you want to loose space in the rear?
what kit you will be connecting to it?

our factory kit had an 80amp fuse and 100amp relay . . . . (w=vxa) (1000w=12.6v x 80a) so about 800w usable max draw and about 50amps before things start to heat up.

if you have it in the rear it will mean more volt drop across the longer cable and reduce the max power that can be drawn for a given size of cable.

i doubt the Dealer will fir a 0AWG or 4AWG cable, prob just a 8AWG

you could possibly ask them:

what gauge cable?
what size fuse?
what rating relay?
whats the max power can be drawn though it?

though id imagine this info may be a bit too technical for the sales guys.

under the front seats is beneficial because:

less cable - less volt drop
its out of the way
you dont loose rear load space
easy to add your extra electrical kit next to the battery under the seats.

hers an example from @travelvolts

Capture.JPG

@Dellmassive, thank you for your great input.
I dont want the battery im the back, definately like the picture you posted. I struggled to find a good picture of the batteries under the seats.

I mainly futureproofing, and need to check power buy being Australia, mainly a Fridge, maybe a fan if parked up, and probably the kids electronics charging.

Hi I am in the process of receiving new 4 motion 400 lwb - 2nd batt option from dealer included in vehicle. I was told batt would be under drivers seat and even saw one fitted under drivers seat. Mine however is under the double front seat - dealer option ticked

Not having it factory is not the end of the world, VW use a very basic split charge system that will charge the battery but not fully/very well, IMO you are better off with an aftermarket DC-DC charger than can deal with the variable voltage the smart alternator supplies
As long as it is installed correctly it will not affect your warranty, i know its a bit stricter in aus when it comes to modifying and can require certifying etc but adding a second battery is quite a common process
Im sure a few of our aus members may have more info having already walked this path @Bryn23 @GarryM ?

I only just saw this.

If you are running a fused cable from the starter battery for a DC-DC charger, then i can't see how it would effect the warranty here in Aus.

The Aux battery option is quite reasonable thats why i selected it, but it is now redundant as i installed a DC-DC charger to fully charge my Lithium Battery.

I had issues with the factory battery size interference when the Australia made ADR swivel seats were added, so keep that in mind if you add swivel seats in the future.

I'd look at Redarc DC-DC, as its locally made and warranty work would be simpler

An auto electrician could knock it over quick, i'd prefer trusting them over an dealership apprentice

@Pauly / @Dellmassive

I’ve been sound deadening my T6 and was about to look at leisure battery and split charge but have found the second battery under my passenger seat.

Is there a reason this would have been fitted at factory for the spec of the van and secondly, can I use this as my split charged leisure battery or do I need an additional. Van is a 67 plate and I bought it 6 months ago so still finding things with a little help on here.

I had planned to do the leisure battery under passenger seat and sub / amp Under drivers.

The van is a 204 dsg LWB 4 motion, with elec tailgate and twin elec sliding doors. Also has the auxiliary heater for cold warm up.

Thanks guys.

I think the second battery is a standard fitting with your spec of vehicle and yes it should be connected via VW's simple split charge relay which will be fitted to the seat box and have two stout red wires and a couple of other thin ones.

The VW split charge is very basic and if you have a Blue Motion vehicle with intelligent alternator it won't be charging to 100%. You can remedy this by changing the simple split charge relay for a Battery to Battery unit. There is lots of info about this on this forum.

@Pauly / @Dellmassive

I’ve been sound deadening my T6 and was about to look at leisure battery and split charge but have found the second battery under my passenger seat.

Is there a reason this would have been fitted at factory for the spec of the van and secondly, can I use this as my split charged leisure battery or do I need an additional. Van is a 67 plate and I bought it 6 months ago so still finding things with a little help on here.

I had planned to do the leisure battery under passenger seat and sub / amp Under drivers.

The van is a 204 dsg LWB 4 motion, with elec tailgate and twin elec sliding doors. Also has the auxiliary heater for cold warm up.

Thanks guys.
The second battery comes standard with the aux heater. It’s perfect to use as your leisure battery although you’ll probably want to swap it out for a larger one. From the factory it’s a 75ah you can comfortably fit a 110ah in its place.

The charging is controlled by a simple BCM controlled relay, again this is not ideal and can easily be swapped for a DC-DC charger as all the wiring and necessary fuses are already in place :thumbsup:

I think the second battery is a standard fitting with your spec of vehicle and yes it should be connected via VW's simple split charge relay which will be fitted to the seat box and have two stout red wires and a couple of other thin ones.

The VW split charge is very basic and if you have a Blue Motion vehicle with intelligent alternator it won't be charging to 100%. You can remedy this by changing the simple split charge relay for a Battery to Battery unit. There is lots of info about this on this forum.

@rod_vw

Thank you for that, much appreciated. Well that’s good news.

The second battery comes standard with the aux heater. It’s perfect to use as your leisure battery although you’ll probably want to swap it out for a larger one. From the factory it’s a 75ah you can comfortably fit a 110ah in its place.

The charging is controlled by a simple BCM controlled relay, again this is not ideal and can easily be swapped for a DC-DC charger as all the wiring and necessary fuses are already in place :thumbsup:

@Deaky

Thanks Deaky. That’s good news and hopefully save me a bit. Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Really appreciate the advise above.

I want to upgrade this split charger as advised further up this feed but wanted to ask if there is any specific recommendations as will want to add solar.
The solar won’t be until next year possibly but would rather do the correct install ahead and add the solar later.

Any suggestions on the dc-dc for this would be greatly appreciate.

:thumbsup:

Back