Why is my 204PS so thirsty?

Ok, so the results are in......

Its confirmed.... new engine. the results are 0.7L per 620miles, not sure how that works when after 1100miles i put in 2x 1L bottles and then the light came back on for a second time just before i dropped it off, but hay ho.... the dip stick min to max is only 1L and it went past the min causing the check oil light twice!!!

they are yet to confirm price of the replacement block (they estimated £11k +vat) and they will start a conversation with VW regarding goodwill, but since its only got 53k and it started to drink at 40k i will be wanting them to cover the entire cost or i will pursue with small claims court if its not covered by my third party warranty.

the conversation with the guys at my dealer confirm there was indeed a bulletin released regarding my engine code and build date for a step by step preventative if close to excessive usage and then resolution if there is excessive oil usage. the detail includes the cause is piston rings scoring the bores due to tolerance. The replacement engine block includes revised pistons and rings (funny that) and anything post combustion (except turbo - tbc) is replaced as part of the new block.

so it continues......
Ok...I feel your pain Martin, that's crap news. I just hope VW come clean and agree to put you in the position you should be in without this poor engineering and the time it saps. I have exactly the same symptoms, oil usage and concerns. 2017, T6, T32, 4motion, CXEB with an "A" suffix EGR that was replaced in Feb 2022 at 49,500. It started drinking oil at 54,000 and is about 1 litre/1,000 miles. I've just sent off for an oil analysis. Is there any update from VW as to what they are prepared to offer financially? And which VW dealer you are using? I might be able to use their approach as leverage with the VW dealer I bought mine from at 5 months old...

Ok...I feel your pain Martin, that's crap news. I just hope VW come clean and agree to put you in the position you should be in without this poor engineering and the time it saps. I have exactly the same symptoms, oil usage and concerns. 2017, T6, T32, 4motion, CXEB with an "A" suffix EGR that was replaced in Feb 2022 at 49,500. It started drinking oil at 54,000 and is about 1 litre/1,000 miles. I've just sent off for an oil analysis. Is there any update from VW as to what they are prepared to offer financially? And which VW dealer you are using? I might be able to use their approach as leverage with the VW dealer I bought mine from at 5 months old...
I have pmd you, but until I have it sorted on the 1st November just go and get an oil sample done as well as a oil usage test completed by your local vw van center.

Hi all, just thought I would post an update on my engine oil issue. The oil analysis reported almost maximum soot levels (only 4,000 miles old), silicone/sealant deposits amongst other things. Compression test was within parameters, 27psi. I found an independent VW master technician and he took the engine out and stripped it down. The turbo fins were melted at the tips, presumably caused by hot oil. The inlet manifold was leaking and this is where the oil was passing and then being burned in the engine. The exhaust side of the block was dry but the inlet side was wet, but he took the head off and inspected the cylinders and bores and both were not damaged (phew). Refurbed turbos, new inlet manifold, head gasket, head bolts, timing belt and rebuild. I have travelled about 1,000 miles since and have seen no drop in the oil level, so I am hopeful the issue is now resolved. Cost a smidge under £3,000.

Hi all, just thought I would post an update on my engine oil issue. The oil analysis reported almost maximum soot levels (only 4,000 miles old), silicone/sealant deposits amongst other things. Compression test was within parameters, 27psi. I found an independent VW master technician and he took the engine out and stripped it down. The turbo fins were melted at the tips, presumably caused by hot oil. The inlet manifold was leaking and this is where the oil was passing and then being burned in the engine. The exhaust side of the block was dry but the inlet side was wet, but he took the head off and inspected the cylinders and bores and both were not damaged (phew). Refurbed turbos, new inlet manifold, head gasket, head bolts, timing belt and rebuild. I have travelled about 1,000 miles since and have seen no drop in the oil level, so I am hopeful the issue is now resolved. Cost a smidge under £3,000.
where was the vw technincian you used?

Back