Why is my 204PS so thirsty?

This is not a porshe. I had same vw 150hp and event not take a drip of oil. Construction nearly the same. This one take that one doesn’t. Silly answer. I looking for logic answer and some solution not like silly customer listening what vw service say. Topping up topping up. Bullshit.
When you find this mythical magical cure for one of the downfalls of the internal combustion engine let the world know and make millions

It’s down to (at least):

Cylinder bore tolerances
Piston tolerances
Piston ring tolerances
Oil level
Driving style
Turbo pressure tolerances
Valve stem tolerances
Valve guide tolerances
Bedding in procedure

No-one is saying VW is perfect, but that’s your logical answer.

Pete

I am bit disappointed. If consumption is higher then 0.7l then vw recommend replacement engine. So there is a problem or not?

I am bit disappointed. If consumption is higher then 0.7l then vw recommend replacement engine. So there is a problem or not?
If I were you, I would open a case with your dealer and press to have the engine replaced under warranty.

On the plus side all this extra oil your putting in at least the oil quality will be better as your always diluting the dirty oil with fresh

My 180ps CFCA dipstick doesn’t register any oil consumption ever. I suspect it is running a slightly lower max boost pressure than a 204ps but it can’t be that much lower.
I was reading some VW doc’ the other day stating that one of the engines has offset gudgeon pins to reduce the piston thrust on the bore under high load. I can’t help but wonder if that maybe OK under high load but anything other than that would result in the oil control rings effectiveness being compromised.

Oil traps are for old bangers like my 2001 A4, well over 200K and still going strong with just oil and filter changes. They only help with blow by carrying oil mist, they won’t help with oil passing the piston rings.

I had to fit an oil trap as my car took off one day like that latest NASA engine test, rev counter well into the red and a full on smoke screen behind. I’ve seen some big runaway marine Diesels but that little 1.9L tiddler nearly made me shit my pants.
It was only then that I remembered that I hadn’t drained the sludge out of the intercooler in a while.

I know that guys modify pistons by tooling them and fitting 3mm oil rings.
There you go then that’s your answer you knew it all along now you’ve only partially stop your engine down to machine your pistons get and fitted the modified rings and fingers crossed after that expense it’s better ( wise old man once said oil is cheaper than repair )

It’s all fun and games till a two stroke diesel runs away on its own, that really is shit your pants time
One thing I’ve learnt about engine rooms (ships) is always know at least two ways out with your eyes shut. Had a supercharger explode on a submarine generator and breathing hot oil mist while being effectively blind and temporarily deafened is a bit of a bugger.

Hello,
I Up this thread, because I have some informations about oil consumption on the 204 engine.

Just come back from my VW dealer for a oil weighing because of lot of oil consuption on my 2017 T6 204ps.
The van had 133k km, from 04-2017, the weighing give our 1,2l of oil consuption on 1000km. (had done on high load^^)
It's the workshop chief of the dealership who tell me to do the weighing because there is some faulty engine for the 2016/2017 204ps...
The service note frome VW Deutschland is know since approx December 2020, the workshop chief had found faulty engine just before this date and had open an engine.
Since this date, he swap one or two 204ps engine every month on his workshop !
For what he know and had found, it's a piston problem, who start to melt... and newer engine had renforced pistons.
Therefore, it's not the same pb than the 180ps T5 engine.

Now he will tell VW DE for engine swap price participation, normally, 100% of parts will be supported, and at least 50% of labour. (100% of labour was supported on the firsts swap he done, but since this summer, he no longer has that...)

For the moment, I just found some informations about this engine swap on TX-board forum (De) Ölverbrauch T6 150 KW
But no others informations about it elsewhere...

I'm interested if other member has this problem and engine swaped on you T6 204 ?
I will give you some more informations when I will have it.
(Sorry for my not perfect english..)
Flavien

Hi All. has anyone had high oil consumption with their T6 around 1litre per 1000 miles or worse?
I have read on some forums that VW have advised that this is acceptable and on others that VW have offered a discounted engine replacement despite being out of warranty.
I have a 2016 204 DSG 4-motion with 45k on the clock, oil analysis showing 277ppm of iron which indicates a bit of wear of bores and rings.
FSH (not VW), owned from new.
I'm not considering engine replacement yet, but if the consumption gets worse I was wondering if anyone has had a discounted engine from VW and under what terms or an engine replacement by any other company?
Thanks.

Is it using any coolant? I’ve read the egr cooler can leak coolant into the combustion side of the engine causing lots of damage.

If you had worn bores you would also have high aluminium content on the oil analysis (pistons) and reduced cylinder pressure / high blow-by rate.
Is that the case?

Back