Why is my 204PS so thirsty?

Tombradford

I’ve had a 204 dsg around 6-7 months and I’m constantly topping it up with oil, there’s no visible leaks. Is this a common problem, will it get worse?

how much oil? - how often? - how many miles on the van?

Bought it a 78k it’s now on 88k putting about a litre of oil in every 1000-1500 miles. Performance seems fine

I’ve got a 67reg 204 on 28,000 miles and frequently need to top up the oil.
First vehicle I’ve ever had that needs so much oil, and I’ve had a few.

Not leaking?

If not it must be being burned,

Any issues with regens?

Any blue smoke out back?

Any oily sooty gunk on the tailpipe?

I wouldn’t regard that as anywhere near normal. Have a look under the free end of the engine (below cambelt) and check that the crankshaft oil seal isn’t leaking as it seems to be a common problem.
Check for an excessively sooty exhaust tail pipe or smoking, although the DPF will mask some of this.
If the van is burning oil you should see more frequent DPF re-generations, if you have Carista you can monitor the DPF ash level.

Ours was a leaking crankshaft seal £800 fix! But still under warranty so covered, we use a little oil but no more than other vehicles.

Not leaking?

If not it must be being burned,

Any issues with regens?

Any blue smoke out back?

Any oily sooty gunk on the tailpipe?
No not noticed anything. But will keep an eye out now

I wouldn’t regard that as anywhere near normal. Have a look under the free end of the engine (below cambelt) and check that the crankshaft oil seal isn’t leaking as it seems to be a common problem.
Check for an excessively sooty exhaust tail pipe or smoking, although the DPF will mask some of this.
If the van is burning oil you should see more frequent DPF re-generations, if you have Carista you can monitor the DPF ash level.
Cheers I’ll have a look later not noticed any smoke or soot though

Bought it a 78k it’s now on 88k putting about a litre of oil in every 1000-1500 miles. Performance seems fine
That is normal according to the manual supplement 05.2016

Engine oil consumption can vary from engine to engine and can change during the working life of an engine.
The vehicle may consume up to 1 L of engine oil per 2000 km depending on how you drive and the conditions in which the car is used.
In new vehicles, consumption is likely to be higher for the first 5000 km.
The engine oil level must therefore be checked at regular intervals, preferably each time the vehicle is refuelled and before long journeys.
When the engine is working hard, the engine oil level must be kept within the upper permissible area shown in figure 1, for instance during extended motorway cruising in summer, when towing a trailer, or when climbing mountain passes.

My 204 same from new burns oil. Just wondering why some of my friends doesn’t burn? There should be some logic answer. Where the oil disappears? Is there any solution how to stop it?

My 204 has used 1lt of oil per 10,000 miles from new, it's now showing over 100k. No leaks and no smoke at all.

It's not a big deal and I just see it as part of the running of such a hard working commercial vehicle.

This has no sense. There is some way where oil disappearing. Rings, valves, or some other way. I would be a very appreciate for straight answer.

As @Loz has pointed out that is classed as normal. However it seems different on every van. Some burn some don’t.

As many cars and vans i had in my life I never ever had to topping oil constantly. So vw made some mistakes and made problematic engines. I don’t minde take out engine and regenerate or mesure all cilinders with ring but i would like to save some time. If someone came a cross that route I would much appreciate for any tips. I cant just constantly topping oil. I won’t agreed with anybody with answer- its normal.

Every engine uses oil, there is permissible guide lines all in black and white easy to find and research , if it’s a problem buy a skate board
Biggest waste of a techs time is a customer asking for consumption tests ball ache and boring, there’s only a problem if oil is gushing out on the floor or your using more than is stated, have a look at Porsche’s figures

This is not a porshe. I had same vw 150hp and event not take a drip of oil. Construction nearly the same. This one take that one doesn’t. Silly answer. I looking for logic answer and some solution not like silly customer listening what vw service say. Topping up topping up. Bullshit.

Back