Why is my 204PS so thirsty?

180ps, 2016 MY, Euro 5. I‘ve never needed to top up between oil changes.
Physically checking your oil is a very good habit to get into, you might just catch fuel dilution / coolant emulsification before it damages your engine.
Unless you have an external leak the consumed oil is ending up forming carbon in the engine, EGR system and DPF, none of which is good for the wallet or the environment.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So im new to the VW Transporter ownership and my van drinks oil like nobodies business.
I've owned high performance cars in the past, both petrol and diesel and nothing like this.
Literally every few hundred miles and it needs more oil...

What is the normal quantity usage against miles?
Any thoughts?

Thanks,

VW seem to say that 1 litre per 1000 miles is acceptable but i would say that rubbish, if an engine is using that amount then its either leaking or getting burned off somewhere and neither is good
If i were you i would be talking to a local garage and seeing what your options are, a compression test is relatively cheap and will give you an idea of the condition of the cylinders/piston rings things like this may help to paint a picture of whats going on and where that oil is going

Have you got any idea if the consumption is increasing or not?

It sounds like you might be over the 1l/1k standard that VW think is fine.

Mine uses about 250ml/1k. Seems to have started about 30k.

oil use on mine is nonsense… serviced about a month ago, done just over 1000miles, oil light already on. EGR cooler replaced last year, no visible oil leaks, no oil in water, is this really normal / to be expected?!

I’m sorry to say I have the same issue. 1L every 1,000 miles. Gutted.

I put in 1L in first 10k miles on my 204 DSG T6.1. Seems fair to me in my van. Could have kept an eye on it sooner and topped up at 5k perhaps. I will check every 2k onwards now

Just waiting for the bad news today as my van goes in for its oil use check. It had already been in for a level check and told to do 600miles before returning.
I had to take it away with me on holiday which was in excess of 600miles on its own, plus the 300miles ish just before going on holiday.

The day before i left i checked the level, and it was 1/2 way down the stick, i called and let them know that isf it has used that much in 300miles, then i suspect ill have to top it up when im down there and asked if that would void the test. they said, if you have to top it up, top it up dont let it run if you get the check oil level warning.

On getting to holiday, sure enough i got the check oil light. i put in 1L of oil. before returning home, check it again, sure enough it was showing min on the stick. Knowing it was a 300+mile drive back, i took another 1L to bring it back up to near max.

Today before getting to the VW garage the check oil light was back on, so by my guess, if they had filled it to max on the first visit to vw as the test started i have used 3-4L of oil in approx 1100miles.... i will find out later what the actual result is. They said it should be possible to add in the 2L i added into the calculations since it was 2x1L bottles exactly...

Just waiting for the bad news today as my van goes in for its oil use check. It had already been in for a level check and told to do 600miles before returning.
I had to take it away with me on holiday which was in excess of 600miles on its own, plus the 300miles ish just before going on holiday.

The day before i left i checked the level, and it was 1/2 way down the stick, i called and let them know that isf it has used that much in 300miles, then i suspect ill have to top it up when im down there and asked if that would void the test. they said, if you have to top it up, top it up dont let it run if you get the check oil level warning.

On getting to holiday, sure enough i got the check oil light. i put in 1L of oil. before returning home, check it again, sure enough it was showing min on the stick. Knowing it was a 300+mile drive back, i took another 1L to bring it back up to near max.

Today before getting to the VW garage the check oil light was back on, so by my guess, if they had filled it to max on the first visit to vw as the test started i have used 3-4L of oil in approx 1100miles.... i will find out later what the actual result is. They said it should be possible to add in the 2L i added into the calculations since it was 2x1L bottles exactly...
Is this a 204PS (CXEB)?

Ok, so the results are in......

Its confirmed.... new engine. the results are 0.7L per 620miles, not sure how that works when after 1100miles i put in 2x 1L bottles and then the light came back on for a second time just before i dropped it off, but hay ho.... the dip stick min to max is only 1L and it went past the min causing the check oil light twice!!!

they are yet to confirm price of the replacement block (they estimated £11k +vat) and they will start a conversation with VW regarding goodwill, but since its only got 53k and it started to drink at 40k i will be wanting them to cover the entire cost or i will pursue with small claims court if its not covered by my third party warranty.

the conversation with the guys at my dealer confirm there was indeed a bulletin released regarding my engine code and build date for a step by step preventative if close to excessive usage and then resolution if there is excessive oil usage. the detail includes the cause is piston rings scoring the bores due to tolerance. The replacement engine block includes revised pistons and rings (funny that) and anything post combustion (except turbo - tbc) is replaced as part of the new block.

so it continues......

Ok, so the results are in......

Its confirmed.... new engine. the results are 0.7L per 620miles, not sure how that works when after 1100miles i put in 2x 1L bottles and then the light came back on for a second time just before i dropped it off, but hay ho.... the dip stick min to max is only 1L and it went past the min causing the check oil light twice!!!

they are yet to confirm price of the replacement block (they estimated £11k +vat) and they will start a conversation with VW regarding goodwill, but since its only got 53k and it started to drink at 40k i will be wanting them to cover the entire cost or i will pursue with small claims court if its not covered by my third party warranty.

the conversation with the guys at my dealer confirm there was indeed a bulletin released regarding my engine code and build date for a step by step preventative if close to excessive usage and then resolution if there is excessive oil usage. the detail includes the cause is piston rings scoring the bores due to tolerance. The replacement engine block includes revised pistons and rings (funny that) and anything post combustion (except turbo - tbc) is replaced as part of the new block.

so it continues......
That's fairly crap to hear!

Just out of interest what kind of miles do you normally do?

Are you on the long life servicing every 16k oil changes or the more frequent one?

That’s really worrying. My van has at times used 1L per 1000 miles. I wonder if I need to investigate, though it’s certainly never been as bad as you describe!
Take it to VW, tell them your roughly putting in 1l per 1000miles and ask them to perform a "excessive oil consumption test" they will want it in initially to measure the current oil and fill to their test level. Get you to take it and drive for at min 600miles (do 1000), then take it back for them to measure the oil once again. they will calculate usage and let you know the result, depending if you want the results to be exaggerated either drive like a pussy, or tow something heavy!

It will cost you approx £180 + 2 visits for them to do the test.

That's fairly crap to hear!

Just out of interest what kind of miles do you normally do?

Are you on the long life servicing every 16k oil changes or the more frequent one?
i have owned from new (ex demo, pre registered with only 100miles on it), has been a daily driver no tools etc, had a caravelle conversion done approx. 2-3 years ago. i hadn't been towing etc either and do approx. 10-12k miles a year, didnt use a drop of oil until 40k, when at the same time the crankshaft seal started to weep and initially put the usage down to that. that was done, but then gradually got worse and worse.

i had my service warnings changed from long life to fixed 12months, and have had a full service done every year using long life oil, so if anything its been over serviced.

Take it to VW, tell them your roughly putting in 1l per 1000miles and ask them to perform a "excessive oil consumption test" they will want it in initially to measure the current oil and fill to their test level. Get you to take it and drive for at min 600miles (do 1000), then take it back for them to measure the oil once again. they will calculate usage and let you know the result, depending if you want the results to be exaggerated either drive like a pussy, or tow something heavy!

It will cost you approx £180 + 2 visits for them to do the test.
I don’t know what I’ll gain if they agree the oil use is excessive. 120,000 miles. I don’t think they’ll be offering me anything on the house.

Back