Why is my 204PS so thirsty?

If you had worn bores you would also have high aluminium content on the oil analysis (pistons) and reduced cylinder pressure / high blow-by rate.
Is that the case?
I have not yet done a compression test but there would not necessarily be a high aluminium content if there are worn or scored bores.

Is it using any coolant? I’ve read the egr cooler can leak coolant into the combustion side of the engine causing lots of damage.
No, there is no aluminium in the oil analysis.
The question is not where the oil is going, the question is has anyone had their engine replaced and whether they did this as a result of high oil consumption.

I'd guess that they'd class the usage as normal assuming it was engine wear related. I doubt you'll get a quid off VW. They wouldn't even regas my aircon when the van was a year old and all the gas disappeared... Wear and tear :rolleyes:

question is has anyone had their engine replaced and whether they did this as a result of high oil consumption.
Yes, there was a case on the Forum a few days back, a European member.
Hello,
I Up this thread, because I have some informations about oil consumption on the 204 engine.

Just come back from my VW dealer for a oil weighing because of lot of oil consuption on my 2017 T6 204ps.
The van had 133k km, from 04-2017, the weighing give our 1,2l of oil consuption on 1000km. (had done on high load^^)
It's the workshop chief of the dealership who tell me to do the weighing because there is some faulty engine for the 2016/2017 204ps...
The service note frome VW Deutschland is know since approx December 2020, the workshop chief had found faulty engine just before this date and had open an engine.
Since this date, he swap one or two 204ps engine every month on his workshop !
For what he know and had found, it's a piston problem, who start to melt... and newer engine had renforced pistons.
Therefore, it's not the same pb than the 180ps T5 engine.

Now he will tell VW DE for engine swap price participation, normally, 100% of parts will be supported, and at least 50% of labour. (100% of labour was supported on the firsts swap he done, but since this summer, he no longer has that...)

For the moment, I just found some informations about this engine swap on TX-board forum (De) Ölverbrauch T6 150 KW
But no others informations about it elsewhere...

I'm interested if other member has this problem and engine swaped on you T6 204 ?
I will give you some more informations when I will have it.
(Sorry for my not perfect english..)
Flavien

Hi,

It's me on the other thread, I'm from France, no news from the VW Workshop chief for the moment, waiting for the participation amount from VW to change the engine...

Will give you some news when I have it.
Cheers,
Flavien

Hi, just received the estimation from the workshop :

VW DE take the engine price (13300€) but all labour is for our...
And the engine is delivred without the cambelt and waterpump, therefore we need to pay it new.
The engine is short bloc, without turbo, flywheel, but with catalytic conveter and particulate filter.
So we have a labour + cambelt/waterpump estimation of 3000€ at our charge.

It's not perfect, but ok...
We will try to send a letter to VW France and VW De for reclamation to see if it's not possible to have more participation, because a few month ago, the VW Workshop chief have 100% engine+labour (without belt and pump) participation for VW De.

Cheers,
Flavien

Hi. As you say, it is not perfect but it could be a lot worse. I guess you can offset the pain of your expense with the benefit of having a new engine with zero miles on it and the increase in value of the van from this?
Nevertheless VW should be covering more expenses as it is wholly their problem.
Good luck and thanks for the info. I will continue to monitor my oil consumption - at the moment it is not as bad as yours, 1 litre every 1600kms. Did your VW workshop say what the acceptable consumption rate was?
Did you have an oil analysis performed on it - it would be interesting to know what the mineral count was.
Many thanks, Roger

Yes possible :)
But it was not on the budget when we buy it a fews months ago...
I'm not sure, but I think, the min oil comsuption to have it replaced with participation is 0,5l for 1000km, therefore, you can see with your VW Workshop.
And to be sure that you are on 0,5l+ on 1000km for the test, drive at high load :)
No oil analysis... but the mechanic had open the first 204ch that he have replaced, and it's piston/ring and bore used...
And he says to me that it's a default from ring/pistons.

Cheers,
Flavien

How often do you check and top up your oil? I have a T6.1 204 DSG 6 months old with 6k miles done and just realised I haven’t checked it.

I check my oil about once a week ( I might be a bit old school!) but I do about 500 miles a week. Only needed Topping up once and I've now done about 20,000 miles.

How often do you check and top up your oil? I have a T6.1 204 DSG 6 months old with 6k miles done and just realised I haven’t checked it.
I bought my van with 38K miles on it, I check the oil every week and change it after no more than 10K miles. I've got 60K miles on now, it's never needed a top up.
It only takes a minute to check it and I top up washer fluid and just have a quick look around the engine bay for anything amiss. My wife calls it OCD!

Back