Who’s Mapped Their 150s?!

Veering off-topic, but I'm not keen on suction pump oil changes or long life services. I get my local garage (non-main dealer, but two of the lads own T5's)) to do a conventional oil/filter change every 5k and the main dealer to do a full service at 10k or 12 months.

I have no plans to sell my T6, it's a van to grow old with, hence changing the oil far more frequently than I would with a lease vehicle or something I planned to change every 3 years.

Back on-topic, when the extended warranty is up I'd look at getting a map, the Pendle guy comes across as a bit of a doofus, not sure I'd let him boil a kettle. I think Revo would be the route to take, they seem more professional.

Shall I be the first to say. 205bhp from a 150?
I know pendle extract the safest possible boost the turbos and drivetrain can handle without smoking and that's 180bhp out of the 150 and around 320lbft of torquage. Same with revo too.

Veering off-topic, but I'm not keen on suction pump oil changes or long life services. I get my local garage (non-main dealer, but two of the lads own T5's)) to do a conventional oil/filter change every 5k and the main dealer to do a full service at 10k or 12 months.

I have no plans to sell my T6, it's a van to grow old with, hence changing the oil far more frequently than I would with a lease vehicle or something I planned to change every 3 years.

Back on-topic, when the extended warranty is up I'd look at getting a map, the Pendle guy comes across as a bit of a doofus, not sure I'd let him boil a kettle. I think Revo would be the route to take, they seem more professional.
A mate of mine used the guy in Havent and he said he's the Dogs and is really pleased with his T5

To me it seems completely dishonest to deliberately hide from VW that you've substantially increased the power of your
engine from standard. More power means more wear on parts that were intended to have an easier life, and to me,
twisting your driveshafts to a pretzel with your "secret switch" remap and then claiming under the 102ps warranty is
just not cricket
shrug.gif

Its not even just a tiny little white lie, its a stinker which the tuning companies seem to encourage - so they're equally dishonest.
I expect them to say that the switch isnt there to deceive VW, its so the driver can compare maps. So why is it hidden?
grin.gif

Or maybe it could be just me getting old !
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it seems completely dishonest to deliberately hide from VW that you've substantially increased the power of your
engine from standard. More power means more wear on parts that were intended to have an easier life, and to me,
twisting your driveshafts to a pretzel with your "secret switch" remap and then claiming under the 102ps warranty is
just not cricket
shrug.gif

Its not even just a tiny little white lie, its a stinker which the tuning companies seem to encourage - so they're equally dishonest.
I expect them to say that the switch isnt there to deceive VW, its so the driver can compare maps. So why is it hidden?
grin.gif

Cheers
Phil
Without wanting to come across as a bit of a dork, I kinda agree. If the 150 was meant to achieve 200bhp, then why don’t (or do they?) VW offer it? I mean, they extract every penny that they can from us when we buy/spec the things, so have they missed a trick, or do they know otherwise.....?

Without wanting to come across as a bit of a dork, I kinda agree. If the 150 was meant to achieve 200bhp, then why don’t (or do they?) VW offer it? I mean, they extract every penny that they can from us when we buy/spec the things, so have they missed a trick, or do they know otherwise.....?

Engines are never tuned to there potential its about emissions, fuel economy and performance. If a 100bhp model can go to 140-150bhp then 205bhp is probably well within the tolerences of a 150. As a rule of thumb id say 25% increase is safe option.

When I built my 1340 Mini engine up it had been lightened and balanced to take the increase in BHP but now all the modern cars seem to be able to be chipped to get the performance That means when a manufacturer builds the engine it must be capable of that power . I presume the engine that goes into your transporter, kombi or cali is the same engine only in different states of tune. Mine is a 150 so can be tunes more if needed or remapped so the 102 engine is the same block only detuned. The 204 has twin turbos if I am right which gives it the extra umph . The start out with the same basic unit and tune to suite, it not the same as what I used to do which was bore the block out to get the umph. Years ago a car was lucky to be able to rev above 5000 RMP and a Diesel would be very lucky to see 4000. Now it is common place for cars to rev to 6000+ and you can see 5000 with a diesel. Engines are now built with in their capability's of handling the power and if VW did their job properly the tuners would be out of a job. Face it would you cover repairing some one else's work

just not cricket
shrug.gif

grin.gif

Cheers
Phil

You could apply that ethos to many things we do to our vehicles.
We could put wheels on that are bigger and wider than the manufacture advises, it might put extra strain on the suspension, we swap them back for a warranty claim. (Vauxhall rejected a claim for leaking struts on my Vivaro at 20k because of this)
We could overload them on a regular basis, putting extra wear on components, but we remove this load for a warranty claim. (I have a mate who often overloads his as a courier)
We could thrash the hell out of the engine and gearbox, but don't tell VW this when something goes wrong.
And so on....
On the flip side of that.
You take it in to the dealer for an issue, and they tell you it's normal and to not worry. (would they say this if it was out of warranty, or would they spend hours trying to find the issue, so it can be fixed and charged?)
They could charge you for a service, and not change things that you assume are standard. (something i've experienced)
You could end up with defects in your paintwork, something you know is rust, but they tell you it's not and it's your fault. (again personal experience)

It's all Tit for Tat, and something many people do to their own vehicles, but wind back if it goes in for a warranty claim. The dealers are not daft, they can apply a little common sense to certain situations, but often they choose to assume we are all stupid, so we often do the same back.
Sadly the way of the modern world.
Some agree, some don't.

You could apply that ethos to many things we do to our vehicles.
We could put wheels on that are bigger and wider than the manufacture advises, it might put extra strain on the suspension, we swap them back for a warranty claim. (Vauxhall rejected a claim for leaking struts on my Vivaro at 20k because of this)
We could overload them on a regular basis, putting extra wear on components, but we remove this load for a warranty claim. (I have a mate who often overloads his as a courier)
We could thrash the hell out of the engine and gearbox, but don't tell VW this when something goes wrong.
And so on....
On the flip side of that.
You take it in to the dealer for an issue, and they tell you it's normal and to not worry. (would they say this if it was out of warranty, or would they spend hours trying to find the issue, so it can be fixed and charged?)
They could charge you for a service, and not change things that you assume are standard. (something i've experienced)
You could end up with defects in your paintwork, something you know is rust, but they tell you it's not and it's your fault. (again personal experience)

It's all Tit for Tat, and something many people do to their own vehicles, but wind back if it goes in for a warranty claim. The dealers are not daft, they can apply a little common sense to certain situations, but often they choose to assume we are all stupid, so we often do the same back.
Sadly the way of the modern world.
Some agree, some don't.
Good point-well made TS.

When I built my 1340 Mini engine up it had been lightened and balanced to take the increase in BHP but now all the modern cars seem to be able to be chipped to get the performance That means when a manufacturer builds the engine it must be capable of that power . I presume the engine that goes into your transporter, kombi or cali is the same engine only in different states of tune. Mine is a 150 so can be tunes more if needed or remapped so the 102 engine is the same block only detuned. The 204 has twin turbos if I am right which gives it the extra umph . The start out with the same basic unit and tune to suite, it not the same as what I used to do which was bore the block out to get the umph. Years ago a car was lucky to be able to rev above 5000 RMP and a Diesel would be very lucky to see 4000. Now it is common place for cars to rev to 6000+ and you can see 5000 with a diesel. Engines are now built with in their capability's of handling the power and if VW did their job properly the tuners would be out of a job. Face it would you cover repairing some one else's work

Your concerns still apply today. I worked for a company that designed and manufactured diesel engines and although some ratings could be performed by the same basic engine and the torque increase was done in the calibration, there was a threshold when a different set of base engine parts was used so that reliability was maintained (improved internal component lubrication and cooling). The twin turbo of the 204 (and 180) is more to do with getting the emission approvals rather than performance.

You don't hear of many remapped engines suffering from internal failures so you don't know as a consumer how close to the mechanical component limit these calibrations are but from my knowledge in the industry I choose to keep my engine at a stock 140 which was the top spec for my base engine from VW. Putting aside my overly cautious approach to internal components and the likely increased emissions (a statement that caused some direct offensive abuse in my direction in a different thread), if I was going to go along the calibration route it would probably be with REVO as they appear to have better R&D capabilities than the 'usual suspects' that get mentioned so I'd have more confidence in their product.

Has no one tried the plug and play route? There is a company local to me 'Tdi-Tuning' that offer a plug in box system with no remapping, the box can be un plugged and you are back to standard power again. They have quoted me £370 to take my 150bhp T6 up to 198 bhp and from 340 to 415nm. Seems to me to be a much simpler way of doing it or am i missing something? You also get a 30 day full money back if youre not happy with it :)

Has no one tried the plug and play route? There is a company local to me 'Tdi-Tuning' that offer a plug in box system with no remapping, the box can be un plugged and you are back to standard power again. They have quoted me £370 to take my 150bhp T6 up to 198 bhp and from 340 to 415nm. Seems to me to be a much simpler way of doing it or am i missing something? You also get a 30 day full money back if youre not happy with it :)
They work a little differently and rely on the original calibration in the ECU, but in basic terms they intercept the values from a few engine sensors such as fuel rail pressure and intake manifold pressure and tell the ECU a slightly different value so that, for example, fuel pressure is increased. For the price quoted, if you really do need more power get it remapped by a reputable company.

Have tried plug in boxes before and no good experiences, for me it’s a remap or nothing

I need my 102BMT van remapping. It struggles to pull my trailer and race car up hill. On the motorway it drops to 45mph on the hills.

Racevans / customvanz offer a remap from 102 to 205bhp. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? The torque increase will help towing.

I need my 102BMT van remapping. It struggles to pull my trailer and race car up hill. On the motorway it drops to 45mph on the hills.

Racevans / customvanz offer a remap from 102 to 205bhp. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? The torque increase will help towing.

You're in Bognor Motors back garden, i'd be putting my money with those guys. Oli is a member on here @BognorMotors and has a huge VW following, plus in a better position to give you honest advice when it comes to re-mapping.

They worked on my van, and I live a 6hr round trip from them, so you know they must be doing something right.

Back