Who’s Mapped Their 150s?!

Can't they (VW) simply tell the last time the ECU was written to? So for instance a 2017 van that has had a remap installed in 2018 would set alarm bells ringing.

They can. But it’s not accurate. We always recommend a flash back a few days before a dealer visit then the vehicle re-learns all the stock parameters.

But the date of the flash would show the ecu has been subsequently flashed after leaving the factory, which I know is feasible as dealers do flash for updates etc, but the flash dates wouldn't match up.

Vehicles can have software updates done at dealers, VW assistance and independents. They are not always logged. Their computers check for the stock flash, which if its running they generally dont have to look any further.

When we signed up with Revo, this was something I mentioned - They say they have never had a warranty claim refused, in the last five years, with a vehicle that has had the stock flash re-applied.

HTH

There's an interesting piece from Revo here -

Is Revo Software Undetectable - Only Revo

VW Group TD1 Code
NOTE: As of 2013, the VW Group online dealer tools have the ability to see software on any modified vehicle. When a modified vehicle is plugged in online it is flagged on the system, this flag is called TD1 please read the below overview:

TD1is the VW Audi Group warranty ‘Flag’ for a vehicle that has been modified, this is something you should all be well aware of. If you’re not then please note; since the change in the main dealer on-line diagnostic tools throughout 2013 performance software can and will be seen when a vehicle is plugged into online at the main dealer. This is the case even if it’s switched to ‘stock’ mode, it is possible although not confirmed that TD1 could be flagged if a vehicle has been flashed with any tool other than the OEM online system. Our recommendation to all our dealers is to make the vehicle owner aware that their warranty will be affected if they have the software installed on their vehicle; this isn’t anything new as we’ve never claimed software is undetectable however prior to the new main dealer systems Revo software did tend to go unnoticed.egacy

..... I would like to see the change in some time, how to blend '... with such a big increase in power ...

Judging by the varying prices different people are getting, i'm actually glad I didn't go ahead with mine.
I don't recall them offering me different packages, or switches to turn off the programming, so one would assume a re=map is a re-map, and the extreme variations in price just leads me to think they just start off with a daft price like I had, and drop it to get the work. This might be how some run businesses, and i'm taking nothing away from DMS, but it just stinks of double glazing sales tactics, a style of selling that should of died out in the 1990s.

I actually feel a little foolish to think I was going to pay £1000 for something some have been quoted half that for, and most other companies offer for half what I was quoted initially.

The guy who called me said he had someone in the area so could do at that price, however I think that chance would have been remote, more like sending someone round local to me with the relevant software. I was away at the time so declined but said that price would stand at any date thereafter

I'm torn over remap or getting the VW 30mm lowering kit done with some different wheels, also this re flashing etc prior to a service or warranty work is spooking me a little, my luck I'd get caught out :(

I'm torn over remap or getting the VW 30mm lowering kit done with some different wheels, also this re flashing etc prior to a service or warranty work is spooking me a little, my luck I'd get caught out :(
Mine is out of warranty in a couple of months, so wil look to get mine done. Will probably look to go with Pendle.

Mine is out of warranty in a couple of months, so wil look to get mine done. Will probably look to go with Pendle.

Will probably wait for mine to reach warranty end albeit light years away, couldn't afford for anything to go wrong. I guess I've got the power already, maybe a case of just getting a little greedy too soon :D

If you are at all worried about warranty, then my advise is to wait

Thanks, probably right :thumbsup: need to concentrate on lowering then wheels, assuming if get VW lowering no warranty issue there either.

Slightly off topic, if I choose to change engine oil regular 10k is there any potential issues there?

No issues at all in more regular oil changes. MY18 vans seem to get an early oil change anyway.

No issues at all in more regular oil changes. MY18 vans seem to get an early oil change anyway.

I also meant to add that I would do the oil changes, also guessing you would need to use same brand/grade oil as VW commercial use

I also meant to add that I would do the oil changes, also guessing you would need to use same brand/grade oil as VW commercial use

Changed mine yesterday.
Used a genuine filter and VW approved Castrol Edge 5W-30. (8lts to max on dipstick)
Strangely, this is my 3rd service, first 2 by main dealers, and it didn't look like the undertray or sump bung had ever been touched by anyone since new.
It's an easy job with the right tools and takes about 30 mins.

Main dealers use suction pump so no need to remove sump bolt

Main dealers use suction pump so no need to remove sump bolt

You see, now that's where I disagree with how things are done, if this is true.
Back in my mechanic days this method was frowned upon. It was seen as a last resort if there was no other way, or a bodgy method for those that were just plain lazy. I don't know if things have moved on, but personally I prefer to remove a bung (something that's designed to be at the engines lowest point) and therefor let every drop of old oil be removed.
Now, if this is actually true and this is why the engine tray hadn't been removed either, that means that 2 oil services and not once had the filter been changed, because you cannot remove the filter housing without removing the tray, because it's bolted from underneath.
Personally, I don't believe this would be the case because it makes no sense. The tray takes 2 minutes to remove, and I was on the floor, not on a ramp.

It may be naive, but I don't think a main dealer would do this, risking any future issues from a lack of servicing. However, I still don't think the tray had ever been removed, and neither had the bung, plus my oil was as thin as water and very dirty. (yes I know that's how old oil comes out, but i've changed oil on many vehicles in my life, and this looked like oil that had been in a vehicle for a long time, not the 3 months since it was last changed)

In conclusion, it would seem i'm doing the right thing by actually doing the job myself, properly, because the piece of mind is far more satisfying than the free service I would of had from the main dealers.

Back