204 remap (likely Revo) - feedback from those who have had it done

I’ve been debating the Pendle vs Revo thing for my Ford Ranger. Spoke with my local Revo agent and he was really helpful and spent a while on the phone. Called Martin at Pendles and the call was under a minute and really of very little help other then being told to take it to Pendle HQ.

I also find Pendle whole thing about you must have a custom map, when in reality there’s two 4WD dynos in the Pendle group, but a bunch of agents that will happily take your money for a generic map of theirs. I also don’t understand why a 4WD dyno is needed when may Ranger has been in 2WD for 99% of the time I have owned it. All adds up to a Revo to me at the minute.

I’ve been debating the Pendle vs Revo thing for my Ford Ranger. Spoke with my local Revo agent and he was really helpful and spent a while on the phone. Called Martin at Pendles and the call was under a minute and really of very little help other then being told to take it to Pendle HQ.

I also find Pendle whole thing about you must have a custom map, when in reality there’s two 4WD dynos in the Pendle group, but a bunch of agents that will happily take your money for a generic map of theirs. I also don’t understand why a 4WD dyno is needed when may Ranger has been in 2WD for 99% of the time I have owned it. All adds up to a Revo to me at the minute.
If it helps my first sport line dmf was toast @ 20k pp remap
Revo on my t6 & 36k happy miles totally different league to me

Had my manual 204 4motion done yesterday at Collins of probus in cornwall absolutely loving it

Did they give any indication on what the standard clutch can take in regards to extra power / torque?
Tempted to get our manual 204 mapped, but there isn't much info out there on how well the standard clutch copes..

Did they give any indication on what the standard clutch can take in regards to extra power / torque?
Tempted to get our manual 204 mapped, but there isn't much info out there on how well the standard clutch copes..
Have you checked the download section? I know it tells you how much torque the gearbox can take, I assume the clutch would be the same? but I don't know for sure

Have you checked the download section? I know it tells you how much torque the gearbox can take, I assume the clutch would be the same? but I don't know for sure
Not the clutch but the DMF figures on page 10 in --> https://www.t6forum.com/downloads/the-t6-2-0l-tdi-ssp-564.49/
Also here --> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/euro-6-remap.1494/post-42389

I was looking at the 6 speed gearbox page in the download section, it says 500nm max ?

Yeah, its all fine and well what the gearbox can take.. Even what Vw may say it can take, but sometimes its better to hear from companies that have experienced how much more power they can cope with before slipping. Don't really want to be a guinea pig for testing the limits.

Yeah, its all fine and well what the gearbox can take.. Even what Vw may say it can take, but sometimes its better to hear from companies that have experienced how much more power they can cope with before slipping. Don't really want to be a guinea pig for testing the limits.
Probably best to speak to a tuner then.

Probably best to speak to a tuner then.
Which is why I was asking someone that has literally just had their 204 manual remapped, if the company tuning it had given them any indication of how well the clutches cope with the increase in power.

Which is why I was asking someone that has literally just had their 204 manual remapped, if the company tuning it had given them any indication of how well the clutches cope with the increase in power.
Every clutch, gear box, dmf is different that's why Pendle custom tune, it'll all be tuned to a safe level of torque. If the clutch didn't respond well to the increase in power they would of altered it.

Every clutch, gear box, dmf is different that's why Pendle custom tune, it'll all be tuned to a safe level of torque. If the clutch didn't respond well to the increase in power they would of altered it.

Ok, I'll just wait until I hear back from who it is that's had the van remapped.

I fully understand every vehicle is different. What I'm asking is whether or not Pendle has found that the clutches on the 204's cope ok with the remap. If he hasn't been told by the tuner, then that will be fine, I can get in touch with a Pendle dealer. But if they did tell him, and he can let me know.. then it stops me from waisting a dealers time asking.

I didn't expect this to cause such a massive issue if i'm honest. So like I say, Ill just wait for a reply.

Ok, I'll just wait until I hear back from who it is that's had the van remapped.

I fully understand every vehicle is different. What I'm asking is whether or not Pendle has found that the clutches on the 204's cope ok with the remap. If he hasn't been told by the tuner, then that will be fine, I can get in touch with a Pendle dealer. But if they did tell him, and he can let me know.. then it stops me from waisting a dealers time asking.

I didn't expect this to cause such a massive issue if i'm honest. So like I say, Ill just wait for a reply.

I have literally just had my 204 remapped on Revo at bognor. It's a DSG though. I'm very happy with it everything feels really nice and smooth and getting no weird vibrations. One of the things that swung me towards Revo was that it's a "genetic" map that has been run in lots of vans. If parts we're going pop in the first 5000 miles I'm pretty sure it would have popped up on here quickly. (As it did on the 102? Revo map) Both the power and torque build very smoothly which in my head that feels a good thing. Under 1.5k I couldn't tell the difference. 2.5k-3k it really makes a difference. I couldn't find anything negative about the Revo 204 map before I had it done.

I get what carpyt6 is saying above about having it on a dyno however I'm not entirely convinced but just because a dmf isn't doing weird things on a dyno run it won't cause a problem 10k down the line.

If you're adding extra output to an engine then surely it's logical that you would beef up everything else in the drive train?
It's a lot cheaper in the long run to just make a van look like it goes faster, after all who's going to call you out on it when you're both at the ragged edge of the speed limit be that 30 or 70mph?

If you're adding extra output to an engine then surely it's logical that you would beef up everything else in the drive train?
It's a lot cheaper in the long run to just make a van look like it goes faster, after all who's going to call you out on it when you're both at the ragged edge of the speed limit be that 30 or 70mph?

I think there is spare capacity in my drivetrain, otherwise we will be seeing problems early on. Similar parts seem to be used in much more powerful vehicles from VW group. That says it does look like the Revo map goes above but the dmf officially says it's designed to handle.

There is also a big question on how you drive. If you have a vehicle on a 3-year lease. Leave it completely stock and treat every start like a Grand Prix, you're either going to break something or the next person to own it is going to have a big bill.

You do have a valid point but I don't think it's a black and white answer that adding more power instantly means you have to start changing drive train parts.

Another way of looking at it is when was the last time you raced another T6, it doesn't happen because we're family and rubbing up another family member generally is a bit uncool... as uncool as bragging about racing an M3 flat out or Tesla Model 3 away from the lights and believing you "had him cold!"
Don't get me wrong I'd like a bit more power (102hp here) another gear maybe, be 40 odd yrs old again, bit more hair and be taller but I know that an extra 40hp won't address a single item on that list worth the hassle or improve how my tin tent performs it's holiday making duties during this glorious weather.

Another way of looking at it is when was the last time you raced another T6, it doesn't happen because we're family and rubbing up another family member generally is a bit uncool... as uncool as bragging about racing an M3 flat out or Tesla Model 3 away from the lights and believing you "had him cold!"
Don't get me wrong I'd like a bit more power (102hp here) another gear maybe, be 40 odd yrs old again, bit more hair and be taller but I know that an extra 40hp won't address a single item on that list worth the hassle or improve how my tin tent performs it's holiday making duties during this glorious weather.

Thanks for your input into the remapping debate. I really appreciate that you've taken time out of your day to tell me what a stupid thing I've done.

It's great that almost every question about remapping (or lowering) is accompanied by a load of replies from people who say it's a stupid idea.

I would like to say I will think about it, but apparently I should be concentrating on my 0- 60 times right now.....

Thanks for your input into the remapping debate. I really appreciate that you've taken time out of your day to tell me what a stupid thing I've done.

It's great that almost every question about remapping (or lowering) is accompanied by a load of replies from people who say it's a stupid idea.

I would like to say I will think about it, but apparently I should be concentrating on my 0- 60 times right now.....

Can’t see anywhere where he says you have done something stupid ?
Just presented another opinion in a thread full of opinions.

Pete

Don't worry about me preaching from the kerbside, so far and bearing in mind my T6 is a modest 102hp camper I've got the B14s, the H&R Arbs, some 18" Momo wheels but feel that asking a 2.5 ton van with a drag coefficient of 3.2 to achieve 60mph in 7 seconds is just cruel... it looks fast hooked up on the campsite... faster than the guy in the Hymer!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I’m not sure what changes I should make so that I am more attractive to members of the opposite sex!!!

Back