Which Is The Best Dash Cam ???

Zenfox 3 channel camera if you have tools and no bulkhead. pretty good, as it does front, back and inside.
On the wifes Audi, I have a Thinkware f800pro, none of these o constant monitoring as you need a simcard installed or hotspot/wife.

Hi all
looking to replace my dash cam and there’s so many different available what’s the best reasonable priced dash cam you all recommend?
thanks in advance

I have a Nextbase which works fine but the feature I find most useful, which I hadn’t considered before buying, is that you can set a screensaver which comes on after a minute and it then displays the speed. We find this very useful especially when driving in France as you can change it to KPH.

After doing my research . . i went for the. . . . . . .

BlackVue DR900S-1ch

i got a separate 128GB card for it, it runs on IGN only. . . but can run from the AUX battery if reqd.

Easy to use APP, and can connect to the cloud via the vans wifi if reqd.

you use your phone as the screen to setup the view, a look at footage . . . or just pop the car out and play it back on the computer.

+

it sits nice an discrete behind the rear view mirror. (the wires are for the voltmeters)

1613214486487.png1613214561925.png

BlackVue DR900s - https://amzn.to/3b6eZTw

1613214139796.png

they do a 2 channel version to :

1613214215643.png

After doing my research . . i went for the. . . . . . .

BlackVue DR900S-1ch

i got a separate 128GB card for it, it runs on IGN only. . . but can run from the AUX battery if reqd.

Easy to use APP, and can connect to the cloud via the vans wifi if reqd.

you use your phone as the screen to setup the view, a look at footage . . . or just pop the car out and play it back on the computer.

+

it sits nice an discrete behind the rear view mirror. (the wires are for the voltmeters)

View attachment 103379View attachment 103381

BlackVue DR900s - https://amzn.to/3b6eZTw

View attachment 103372

they do a 2 channel version to :

View attachment 103373

Got the DS750S 2CH. Super bit of kit, not cheap but you get what you pay for. The DR900s wasn’t available when I got mine.

I have a Nextbase which works fine but the feature I find most useful, which I hadn’t considered before buying, is that you can set a screensaver which comes on after a minute and it then displays the speed. We find this very useful especially when driving in France as you can change it to KPH.
I also have a Nextbase. Bought after research (through Which?) indicated that the 4K 612GW was a good model.
Unfortunately, I have had nothing but trouble with it. I first discovered that the internal battery is not sufficient to make use of the Parking mode overnight. This was maybe not helped by passing vehicles triggering the video even on the least sensitive position. Running the battery flat seemed to upset it, meaning it did a reset when power was re-applied. It eventually wouldn’t work at all, despite changing memory card etc and was replaced under warranty (good customer service). However, the replacement has since started playing up (I gave up on Parking mode some time ago) and on a recent drive it was stuck in a continuous power off then on and reset cycle, so was not recording anything.
It has to go and I’ll most likely be buying a Blackvue model now.

Thinkware Q800 Pro - front and rear, remote access, permanent recording (running them off my twin 100Ah leisure batteries), automatic cloud upload of incidents. 1440 QHD front, full HD rear.
Hi @ThreeBridgeT6. I've just had a Thinkware Q800 Front and Rear plumbed in whilst having a pop top fitted. This has been fitted (as I requested) to my leisure battery and turns on fine. However - it never goes into parking mode. At first I assumed this was a setting, but I think it's actually because it's not been wired in correctly so that it senses when the ignition is off. Is that right?
Have you managed to get it set up in such a way that it flips over automatically to parking mode (when ignition is off) even when it's powered from your leisure battery?

Any help on this much appreciated...

Hi @ThreeBridgeT6. I've just had a Thinkware Q800 Front and Rear plumbed in whilst having a pop top fitted. This has been fitted (as I requested) to my leisure battery and turns on fine. However - it never goes into parking mode. At first I assumed this was a setting, but I think it's actually because it's not been wired in correctly so that it senses when the ignition is off. Is that right?
Have you managed to get it set up in such a way that it flips over automatically to parking mode (when ignition is off) even when it's powered from your leisure battery?

Any help on this much appreciated...
Hi @dennismo. A good time to ask your question! I've been running mine on continuous recording but this week discovered that this overwrites files every couple of hours. I had low-life scum trying all the cars in the road last weekend - see thread here: Low life - and was expecting to find a great mug shot of one of them as he tried my wife's boot as her car was parked directly in front of the van. However, as I'd waited until the following morning to look for it I was sadly disappointed. As a result I have changed my record settings to parking with motion detection in the hope that this lasts longer. Mine are also wired into my leisure system as I have twin Lithiums and therefore power reserves aren't a problem, but I haven't yet checked to see if it's doing what I expect. It was however recording still after I made the changes. I'll check in the morning and post on here again.

Hi @dennismo. A good time to ask your question! I've been running mine on continuous recording but this week discovered that this overwrites files every couple of hours. I had low-life scum trying all the cars in the road last weekend - see thread here: Low life - and was expecting to find a great mug shot of one of them as he tried my wife's boot as her car was parked directly in front of the van. However, as I'd waited until the following morning to look for it I was sadly disappointed. As a result I have changed my record settings to parking with motion detection in the hope that this lasts longer. Mine are also wired into my leisure system as I have twin Lithiums and therefore power reserves aren't a problem, but I haven't yet checked to see if it's doing what I expect. It was however recording still after I made the changes. I'll check in the morning and post on here again.
This will be interesting to find out if you’ve got it to work. My understanding is that, it should say “parking mode activated” (or something like that) when you turn ignition off. I’m pretty sure that means it needs a switched feed from ignition, as well as Leisure Battery feed... if yours is already set up like that - I’d love to know where the ignition feed has been picked up from if you can work that out.

This will be interesting to find out if you’ve got it to work. My understanding is that, it should say “parking mode activated” (or something like that) when you turn ignition off. I’m pretty sure that means it needs a switched feed from ignition, as well as Leisure Battery feed... if yours is already set up like that - I’d love to know where the ignition feed has been picked up from if you can work that out.
Well I've investigated further @dennismo and it looks like my setup is the same as yours. I don't seem to have the 'parking' mode available so I'm stuck with my files being overwritten every two hours. It's not ideal (although I guess I could look at getting a larger capacity sd card), so I'll take it up with my converters once lockdown ends.

Well I've investigated further @dennismo and it looks like my setup is the same as yours. I don't seem to have the 'parking' mode available so I'm stuck with my files being overwritten every two hours. It's not ideal (although I guess I could look at getting a larger capacity sd card), so I'll take it up with my converters once lockdown ends.
My suspicion is, having seen the hardwire cable before it went in and having had a quick read of some guides online for installing is that one of the wires needs to be connected to a switched ignition feed, so that the dashcam can sense the on / off (even if running from the leisure setup).
I wonder if @Absolut5 can confirm if this is right, and also if he / anyone can give us a hint about where to pick up that sort of feed under the passenger seat? Here’s hoping...

I’ve always found the Nextbase ones to be pretty good. Currently have a couple of the 522 ones.

Next base or Thinkware. Must haves are parking mode and wifi. You can then download the app and view and save to your phone.

I have a Garmin one, has parking mode and WiFi to connect to it and it's small around half the size of a nextbase. Had it for about a year and find it good, would recommend.

Back