Which Is The Best Dash Cam ???

Doh, fat fingers, should read DRV A601W
I got a Kenwood dashcam when the Nextbase cameras went back. The Kenwood look OK at first but when I played back the video I couldn't read licence plate numbers when doing 30 mph...might have just been mine but since I bought the 12"Toguard front and rear cameras I have had no problems

Hi, I have a Viofo A129 plus duo fitted to my 2020 6.1 with a hardwire kit that cuts the power to the camera if the power drops below a certain voltage, my question is what is the lowest voltage I can set it to so I can start my van with no issues.

thumbnail.jpg

I have a Blackvue DR900 dual camera. 4K front camera and a full HD rear camera.
When I first got it I had problems with the Wifi connection to my phone, but firmware updates since then seem to have fixed this. I’ve wired it up to my leisure battery (except for the ignition feed) so the starter battery is never drained when in Parking mode. It also announces all sorts, but there are options to mute these.

I have a Blackvue DR900 dual camera. 4K front camera and a full HD rear camera.
When I first got it I had problems with the Wifi connection to my phone, but firmware updates since then seem to have fixed this. I’ve wired it up to my leisure battery (except for the ignition feed) so the starter battery is never drained when in Parking mode. It also announces all sorts, but there are options to mute these.
Hi @Shaun Witts do you use the mobile app much. I'm looking for a front and rear with GPS and WiFi but all the apps seem to get bad reviews.

Will be collecting lwb 150 kombi dsg in October and looking to buy a dash cam and if anyone has any recommendations to which one to look at please let me know
I’m happy with my BlackVue front and rear system 4K front 720 rear . Runs off leisure battery and on 24 hours a day .

I can't praise autovox highly enough. Prurchased the V5 pro last year and here's what Vicky (customer support) at autovox has done for me.

1. Sent a VW specific mirror mount at no charge.
2. Sent a 5m extension cable at no extra charge.
3. Is sending me a replacement camara 14 months after the purchase after someone rear ended me and damaged the camera, again, at no extra charge.

I've never known customer service like it.

Just to add, the footage from the front and rear cameras is pin sharp clear and after my recent accident I have both front and rear footage as evidence for my claim against the 3rd party.
I just took the SD card from the camera and loaded it onto my mac and there was all the footage in .mov format which my mac recognises instantly.

The third party has caused over 6k worth of damage to my van and with the evidence from the cameras there is absolutely no way they can wriggle out of the claim.

Must be the best £200 I've ever spent.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the comments above about Auto-Vox Customer Support - they're brilliant and Vicky in particular deserved a mention.
Now revised to pose a question as a separate post!

Last edited:
Has anybody on here had a Kenwood dash cam or reversing camera fitted? I'm looking at at the DRV-N520 dash camera and CMOS-230 rear camera (both to be paired with a Kenwood DMX 8020 head unit) and would like to hear about any first hand user experiences. Cheers.

Am very happy with the Vantrue N4 ... footage is clear with number plates readable in almost all situations .... but it wasn't $80 :confused:

20220403_134556.jpg

RearCamera.JPG

Reactions: CAB
Garmin cameras are pretty good and the app works flawlessly. (The mini had overheating issues on park mode) The older W series were 4k. Anything with 60hz 1080p gives a nice crisp video

I’m happy with my Nextbase 622gw. Hardwired in, with rear camera. It’s not perfect. The app is slow and clumsy. But it’s worked perfectly when I need it. The video quality is really good. It collects and displays loads of data.

I have a Nextbase 422GW which is really good and has GPS. Image quality is pretty good too

Hey everyone had my camera (F770 Fro nt and Rear) fitted and hard wired in today by Chameleon. Really good job...... but it took the fitter about 4 hours to do - he told me he normally does a fit in about 90 mins. He said he wont be volunteering to do a T6 again. Had a nightmare getting the camera into the tailgate. Best £50 I spent on the van so far!!! The cameras are very good too - gave them a quick test, updated the firmware and added the speed cameras. Apps and Windows/Mac player is pretty good too.

View attachment 1032 View attachment 1032 View attachment 1033 View attachment 1034
Hi David,
Thanks for posting this information and photos, both of which are very helpful. This probably sounds like a stupid question, but when fitting the rear camera, apart from picking up a separate power source, does the rear camera have to be connected to the front one, or do they communicate remotely?
Many thanks.
Steve

Hi David,
Thanks for posting this information and photos, both of which are very helpful. This probably sounds like a stupid question, but when fitting the rear camera, apart from picking up a separate power source, does the rear camera have to be connected to the front one, or do they communicate remotely?
Many thanks.
Steve
Can go two ways.

1. No separate power source required but need wiring all the way up to front camera.
2. Power required for a wireless camera.

I have just ordered a Garmin Mini 2 to collect tomorrow.

I was going to get a second one for the rear view, but I have a Vanshade pod on the rear windscreen and can't see what camera option would work without being a faff when pulling the Vanshade blind.

Anyone got Vanshades and got any tips on how to accommodate a rear view camera?

Back