Which engine output to go for?

From my experience a higher powered engine actually ends up being more efficient because you're not wringing it's neck all day long to try and keep up with the traffic.

I can imagine this isn't the case in rural areas when you can just pootle at your own pace but round here everyone is always in a hurry and you often have to give it some to get into that little gap in the traffic.

I would say not, mixed driving my 199 get half the miles my 102 got :eek:

I got a full camper conversion on a 102 startline as didn’t have the budget for bigger. It’s true as @Sackmycook cook says…it’ll do the job and is economical. I live in the city so loads of grunt is unnecessary for everyday use. However I travel a lot to all corners of the UK and found it lacking the torque for safe motorway work. What I mean is not top speed but the low down power needed to stay in top gear on long hills and to confidently move out into middle lane then maintain enough momentum to get past the bow wave created by lorries. Too many times I’ve got stuck driving a low powered vehicle with the cabs alongside each other and of course…the driver being overtaken won’t lift off! So I had it remapped to 175. I now think I’ve got the best of both worlds. Much cheaper option than bigger engine and still economical to run as I’m not pushing throttle pedal through the floor all the time.

You need to decide on your budget. Mines a 204 with Pendle remap - does bring a smile and enjoyable to drive. I’ve had 102‘s and 150’s before and remapped them all. They’re not race cars but more power makes things ‘easier’. As for fuel consumption, I don’t know.

I got a full camper conversion on a 102 startline as didn’t have the budget for bigger. It’s true as @Sackmycook cook says…it’ll do the job and is economical. I live in the city so loads of grunt is unnecessary for everyday use. However I travel a lot to all corners of the UK and found it lacking the torque for safe motorway work. What I mean is not top speed but the low down power needed to stay in top gear on long hills and to confidently move out into middle lane then maintain enough momentum to get past the bow wave created by lorries. Too many times I’ve got stuck driving a low powered vehicle with the cabs alongside each other and of course…the driver being overtaken won’t lift off! So I had it remapped to 175. I now think I’ve got the best of both worlds. Much cheaper option than bigger engine and still economical to run as I’m not pushing throttle pedal through the floor all the time.
I presume a Startline 102 comes with 5 speed box? If so, is that box a happy bunny with 175, or is it likely to cause issues further down the line? (Genuinely curious - not trying to dis your setup).

It does @Bav. As long as the gears are used sensibly. It doesn't need high revs. Had to show my son, who's used to
small high revving engines and dropping down gears that's not the way to do it. Different power curve. Takes a while to adapt but engine and passengers appreciate it.

Reactions: Bav
The answer is…there is no answer. It’s all relative & is purely personal. If there was a “right answer” then VW wouldn’t give us a choice of engines.
And every van would be the same colour how boring would that be!

150, and you get the stronger 6 speed gearbox, If you feel you need more power get it chipped.
If i bought new and could afford to upgrade every 3 years or so i would go for the DSG, But if it is a long term keeper and second hand i personally wouldn't choose DSG.

Back