Which engine output to go for?

I’d agree. I looked at all options and wanted a manual. As Oli says, the 150 gives you a 6 speed gearbox which you won’t get on the 110, plus more poke. Was an easy choice for me

I have a 150 DSG, it is better than I expected (13 days in), it's enough for the van I think. I may feel it needs a chip once I get used to the handling but for now it feels fine.

Hi all, new here and my first post.

I’m looking for a T6 and have a budget of £35kish. The van will be my daily drive, so a 22 mile round trip to work 4 days a week, odd shopping runs and then it’ll be used as a family “outing“ van a few times a month. My question is, is this usage enough for the tdi or bitdi engine? Am I likely to run into troubles with the short runs or is the 22 mile work commute long enough to give it a run. Is the 204bhp bitdi engine worth holding out for over the 150tdi?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciate.

Hi @IIISAMIII and welcome.

This is very subjective, but here's my take (others may disagree):
  • The 102bhp engine is adequate, but I wouldn't recommend it for a full camper conversion, carrying heavy loads or for use in particularly hilly areas,
  • The 150bhp engine provides all the power you'd need, including for campers, heavy loads and on steep hills.
  • The 199/204bhp engine provides all the power you'd want and is very responsive in just about all situations (for a van), with only a small hit on mpg,
If money were no object, I'd have gone for the 199, but money was a constraining factor for me, so I went for the 150 and spent more on options instead.

As for short runs, I guess you're alluding to DPF issues. If the engine regularly isn't getting up up to temperature, or you're constantly in stop/start traffic, then this can cause issues with regen. There are, however, steps you can take to minimise this. These include using premium diesel, using a diesel additive, using high quality oil and changing it regularly (every 10k), and taking the van for a long run periodically. I'm no expert in this field, but there's lots of info on this forum if you look (use the search function top-right).

Happy reading!

Had my 150 one week and I wish I had more torque and power .
I think the Dsg is better than the engine. It keeps changing gear when torque or power is not enough.
150 it’s about sufficient with 4 people and luggage on board. I don’t know how it can be enough with camper conversion.
My old T5 2.5 130 was a lot more torquey and felt more powerful.

Had my 150 one week and I wish I had more torque and power .
Is this a brand new van @Crazymind? If so, it might be worth revisiting this assessment after 2000 miles or so, as the engine will be super-tight at the moment.

Reactions: Ozi
150 is more than enough and we have a full conversion. It’s still fast and no problems with steep hills
I agree. Also have a full conversion and no issues at all with the 150.

But mine‘s a manual, so wonder if what you describe @Crazymind is more a feature of the standard DSG settings? I’ve read a lot on here about the DSG driving better after a “driveability” remap. Someone who's had that done will be better placed to comment.

Seems crazy that a standard factory spec DSG setting isn’t what you might expect, but guess that has more to do with meeting emissions standards. But there are certainly a good few on here who will swear that the driveability remap has transformed how the van drives.

Van not new, 42k miles on the clock.
DGS is smooth as hot butter, however not very smart when it comes to select the correct gear. I would love the ECU to make use of torque instead of downshifting.
I will definitely look for engine and dsg remap.
340nm of torque is not just enough. 450nm of the btdi it’s probably the right amount for this van.
However it also depend on what you are used to and expectation when it comes to opinion about power.
For some 150 will be enough, not for me.

Reactions: Bav
Hi @IIISAMIII and welcome.

This is very subjective, but here's my take (others may disagree):
  • The 102bhp engine is adequate, but I wouldn't recommend it for a full camper conversion, carrying heavy loads or for use in particularly hilly areas,
  • The 150bhp engine provides all the power you'd need, including for campers, heavy loads and on steep hills.
  • The 199/204bhp engine provides all the power you'd want and is very responsive in just about all situations (for a van), with only a small hit on mpg,
If money were no object, I'd have gone for the 199, but money was a constraining factor for me, so I went for the 150 and spent more on options instead.

As for short runs, I guess you're alluding to DPF issues. If the engine regularly isn't getting up up to temperature, or you're constantly in stop/start traffic, then this can cause issues with regen. There are, however, steps you can take to minimise this. These include using premium diesel, using a diesel additive, using high quality oil and changing it regularly (every 10k), and taking the van for a long run periodically. I'm no expert in this field, but there's lots of info on this forum if you look (use the search function top-right).

Happy reading!
Thanks for your reply.

Yes my main concern is the van not getting a good enough run on my commute, is 11 miles of main road at 70 enough to give it a run? I hear the 180 bitdi had problems but aren’t they supposed to be fix in the 204 variant?
Or would a 150bhp be happy with my commute, are they less prone to the DPF problems?
Thanks

Having had a 102 Manual and now a Revo 199 DSG 4 Motion, I Definitely wouldn't suggest anything else than the 150.

From my experience a higher powered engine actually ends up being more efficient because you're not wringing it's neck all day long to try and keep up with the traffic.

I can imagine this isn't the case in rural areas when you can just pootle at your own pace but round here everyone is always in a hurry and you often have to give it some to get into that little gap in the traffic.

Back