Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Can you tell I’ve been watching Forensic Detailer on YouTube lol
well yes and read your but he will have to be good for me to loose faith in me wash n wax im getting superb results with it the pic just don't do it justice and a few other motors i'v washed come out so nice with a long lasting shine

shine 3.JPG

Reactions: CAB
Ok you detailing buffs, I've got a theory I'd like one or more of you to test......

Modern car wash shampoo is rubbish, it's just a lubricant. (steady, @JOG !)
It's designed to not remove your wax or sealant.
But it doesn't remove the road traffic film either. So it's compromised. (Feel free to disagree!)

Today I washed my van with McGuiars Wash plus.

This stuff gets your paint properly clean, and removes wax and sealants. I'm not suggesting it replaces decontamination processes, but it's a good start. I've removed tar spots and tree sap with it today.

Then I just go in with a gentle polish / wax, like good old style Autoglym Super Resin Polish and AG HD wax.

The results are awesome, a better shine than a sealant. Yes, I know it won't last as long, but I'm retired, I've got plenty of time to re wax it!

I wouldn't use Mcguiars wash plus unless I intended to put some paint protection such as a wax or sealant back on, and I won't be doing this every wash, (perhaps every two months?) but it works for me.

I could have taken a few photos but I heard the sound of a beer can being opened............

Ok you detailing buffs, I've got a theory I'd like one or more of you to test......

Modern car wash shampoo is rubbish, it's just a lubricant. (steady, @JOG !)
It's designed to not remove your wax or sealant.
But it doesn't remove the road traffic film either. So it's compromised. (Feel free to disagree!)

Today I washed my van with McGuiars Wash plus.

This stuff gets your paint properly clean, and removes wax and sealants. I'm not suggesting it replaces decontamination processes, but it's a good start. I've removed tar spots and tree sap with it today.

Then I just go in with a gentle polish / wax, like good old style Autoglym Super Resin Polish and AG HD wax.

The results are awesome, a better shine than a sealant. Yes, I know it won't last as long, but I'm retired, I've got plenty of time to re wax it!

I wouldn't use Mcguiars wash plus unless I intended to put some paint protection such as a wax or sealant back on, and I won't be doing this every wash, (perhaps every two months?) but it works for me.

I could have taken a few photos but I heard the sound of a beer can being opened............
Never mind the lube, how does it bead?!!

Never mind the lube, how does it bead?!!
Oh it beads like the sweat on a........ no, never mind!
I'm just cynical about all these things that claim to do two contradictory things.
How can a shampoo remove oily deposits off your paint, but not remove your wax? It can't.
Layabouts like me have time to wash the van properly and start again with a new protective layer.
It's not a quick and convenient way to make your van shine, but there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Edit - @JOG, you're a man of integrity, give my method a go and report back!

Oh it beads like the sweat on a........ no, never mind!
I'm just cynical about all these things that claim to do two contradictory things.
How can a shampoo remove oily deposits off your paint, but not remove your wax? It can't.
Layabouts like me have time to wash the van properly and start again with a new protective layer.
It's not a quick and convenient way to make your van shine, but there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Edit - @JOG, you're a man of integrity, give my method a go and report back!
I’m with @Mud Digger - wash n wax does the trick. Beads like a fat boy outside a cake shop!

I will give your method a go….when I have a lazy weekend or back-to-back conference calls!

I did the shampoo then AG srp followed by a AG uhd wax
Van looks and feels lovely , but that’s probably because my hand was numb afterwards

Very interested to see how long it lasts

A small dab of parafin on a rag removes tar spots effortlessly.
Don’t forget to reapply wax though

I’m with @Mud Digger - wash n wax does the trick. Beads like a fat boy outside a cake shop!

I will give your method a go….when I have a lazy weekend or back-to-back conference calls!
@JOG ...........Cake.........where's the Cake ............. Save me 2 slices lol

i did have a look at F.D was good some great cutting and polishing tips but as always most brands are good do what they say on the tin

the touchless snow foam it worked good in tests and is a good idea that 1st wash over all that grit without it

i had great results on my bike (Custom Cruiser) with Farecla products G range and super gloss wax paste

Hopefully not a stupid question but my disks go brown straight after washing and then that brown ends up on the alloys on the next drive
Is this normal ?

I get this on my ‘weekend’ car and accelerated corrosion on the discs can occur. This is because owners usually wash their cars and put them in the garage till next time.

I’ve adapted the washing process a) only wipe down the face of the wheels with a micro fibre cloth - no hosing, b) take it around the block and get the brakes hot or c) leave them and wash just before I go out.

b) might be the best option for a daily driver.

I’ve got a garage full of detailing products and tools, I used to take it really seriously, but don’t have the time or effort to really do much these days.

I give my van one good mop just before winter where I’ll decontaminate, deswirl and then polish + seal all in one process with Rupes Uno Protect which I swear by.

Final step is Gyeon Wet Coat which is so easy to apply and absolutely brilliant for beading and subsequent quick washes.

This for mopping - DPO600RTE - 18V Brushless Random Orbit Polisher LXT
This for one step polish/seal - RUPES DA Fine High Performance Foam Pad (Yellow)

DEF02244-1B2E-4916-AC36-76E35B99DF79.jpeg

Back