Sliding Window Placement

abunnyuk

Bunny
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all. I'm looking to have two sliding windows installed in my LWB Shuttle and I'm trying to decide on placement.

The whole point is for air flow when sleeping, allowing for the window(s) to be slightly cracked open to let fresh cool air in whilst also being able to generally air the van out.

Option 1 - Both rear quarter windows

The way I have the van set up for sleeping, heads will always be next to the tailgate so I thought it made the most sense to replacing both of the rear quarter windows with sliding ones. This then allows for either side to be opened without having to disturb the other people sleeping.
  • Pros:
    • Allows each sleeper to open their own window without disturbing the other
    • Symmetric (and satisfying)
  • Cons:
    • Might not provide the best air flow
    • Doesn't cater for passengers
Option 2 - Sliding door and opposite rear quarter

I'm also thinking that maybe having one sliding window on the sliding door and then the opposite rear quarter would make sense as this might provide better airflow from middle-to-rear and allow for a passenger to open a window, but it's extremely rare that I have passengers so I'm not looking to accommodate that.
  • Pros:
    • Might give better airflow through the van
    • Caters for passengers
  • Cons:
    • Asymmetric (this would me twitch for a while)
    • Cannot be opened without getting up and disturbing other sleeper
What have other people done?

I'm also aware of the issues with OEM windows leaking but still want sliding windows installing, so any recommendations for reliable windows would be great. I'll be looking to have a reputable company install them for me who will guarantee the work, and I had a sliding window installed in my old T5 SWB which had no problems for the 6 years I had it.

Thanks,
Bunny

If you have the sliding windows open and it rains you’ll wreck the door card and any furniture underneath them.
Fitting wind deflectors on the cab windows and opening them about an inch works fine. In addition a tailgate bar will create enough airflow in really hot conditions and still keep the van secure.
There is no way I would fit OEM windows, there are better options (can’t be worse) available.
Most importantly insulate the van and preferably don’t buy a dark colour, silver or white is the most practical when it comes to no creating an oven on wheels.

Don’t forget you can get an attatchment to keep the tailgate open a notch too for the airflow …. Oops he said that above

I'll look into a tailgate bar which is a good shout. I already have wind deflectors on the front doors and slightly open the windows at night which helps keep the condensation down, but it does nothing for keeping the inside of the van cool. Regarding when it rains, I wouldn't have the windows open which is a mistake you only tend to make once.

I am in the process of adding insulation to the roof (already done the tailgate, sliding doors, and rear panels) but I've found that the Indium Grey paint gets ridiculously hot and having windows all the way around the van lets the heat in, even with thermal screens used inside the van.

Even in my old white SWB, where I added a decent amount of insulation and didn't have rear quarter windows, I found that a single sliding window made a world of difference with allowing fresh air in.

I absolutely appreciate the advice but I'm looking for feedback on sliding window placement rather than whether or not I should go for them :)

I’m having windows all around and have two sliding window sets. Opposite each other (sliding door and behind driver). But they’re not fitted yet so I can’t comment on airflow, although I hope it will create some as that’s why I got them :)

For a personal aesthetic look I would have them opposite each other. I guess you are thinking practical rather than the look though.

I’m having windows all around and have two sliding window sets. Opposite each other (sliding door and behind driver). But they’re not fitted yet so I can’t comment on airflow, although I hope it will create some as that’s why I got them :)

For a personal aesthetic look I would have them opposite each other. I guess you are thinking practical rather than the look though.

Exciting! Did you go for any particular make of sliding window?

I'd prefer aesthetic, so facing each other and symmetric, but I was wondering what other people thought before settling on it.

Exciting! Did you go for any particular make of sliding window?

I'd prefer aesthetic, so facing each other and symmetric, but I was wondering what other people thought before settling on it.
I got the windows from Transporter HQ (Camper Glass).

Last year whilst camping in France it hit 28' in the van in the middle of the night. We had a tailgate spacer fitted, sliding door wide open, front windows cracked a couple of inches and sliding window open. It made very little difference as the air was so still. Best solution was to add two small USB fans clipped to the poptop inner rails directed towards and over us. The fans combined with the tailgate spacer were the best solution for night time air flow (and much much cheaper than getting windows fitted). Personally I think sliding windows come more into play for the comfort of any rear passengers when travelling (both for visibility and fresh air).

Last year whilst camping in France it hit 28' in the van in the middle of the night. We had a tailgate spacer fitted, sliding door wide open, front windows cracked a couple of inches and sliding window open. It made very little difference as the air was so still. Best solution was to add two small USB fans clipped to the poptop inner rails directed towards and over us. The fans combined with the tailgate spacer were the best solution for night time air flow (and much much cheaper than getting windows fitted). Personally I think sliding windows come more into play for the comfort of any rear passengers when travelling (both for visibility and fresh air).
This is very helpful, thank you. I have 2 USB fans on the back of the driver and passenger seats which helps circulate air around.

So I think I'll get a tailgate spacer and try that along with the usual cracking open of the front windows and using USB fans to see how that goes.

So I think I'll get a tailgate spacer and try that along with the usual cracking open of the front windows and using USB fans to see how that goes.
I think you’ll be surprised just how much air is pulled through the van with this method.
The bar can be fiddly to fit, I posted a quick adaptation on the Forum on how to guarantee it engages first time by using a piece of fishing line / string.

Should of also added ... I'm just building a prototype double fan unit (two computer fans powered by a USB power bank) to fit into the open sliding window space, just to keep the air circulating by drawing cooler air into the van. Thoughts are to make the fan mounts non permanent so they can be reversed to act as a kitchen extractor if I ever cook in the van.

Should of also added ... I'm just building a prototype double fan unit (two computer fans powered by a USB power bank) to fit into the open sliding window space, just to keep the air circulating by drawing cooler air into the van. Thoughts are to make the fan mounts non permanent so they can be reversed to act as a kitchen extractor if I ever cook in

Might help you.

I got the windows from Transporter HQ (Camper Glass).
Did you get recessed or flush?
I'm planning to order some Monday from them. Wanted to see what the normal recessed ones look like from the outside.
I've had other recessed ones on another van in the past didn't look great but some look better them others. Their website didn't have decent pics.
(The flush looks good from outside but I've got kids in the back and looks like their flush fit is a much smaller window to see out so sacrificing their visibility if go for flush.)

Back