VW closes T6.1 order book today (3/3/23) !!!! - T7 Next? or T8?

TBH franchise sales people (manager or customer facing) are bottom of the food chain WRT this sort of info, & I have taken everything ‘sales’ people say with a giant heap of salt for very good reason….

Doesn’t everyone??

(Obviously with the very odd exception to this rule of thumb)
Not sure I'd trust what a dealer told me, even if they had a direct line to the VW boardroom... or am I being unfair?

I wonder if any of the conversion companies have done a large bulk order of vehicles prior to the order books closing.
Twisted, the LandRover Defender convertor, near me bought 300 of the last Defenders and are rumoured to have them holed up in a secret bunker on a disused airfield somewhere in North Yorkshire

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat !!

so what de we get for the T7?
My question to the group is one i'm sure many are asking.

1) What's going to happen to the hundred's of businesses (converters/mods etc...) that have either taken orders for new conversions (lets not forget it was the big NEC show only 2 weeks ago when i'm sure many orders were placed) and will not be able to now (apparently) source any new vans until the as yet unknown T7 in 2024?

2) will used prices increase? Especially as dealers/converters become desperate for stock.

A couple of other rumours i've heard.....VW will be releasing some T6.1's before the summer, but they will come as supplied, with no options/choices available. Effectively parts specials to use up current stock.

Crafters are also currently suffering the same fate as all other new vehicles with massive waiting lists to almost a year!!

No more 4 motions of either T6.1 or Crafter due to parts. Same for LED lights, upgraded satnavs and virtual dashes etc.....

New half way house 'Surf' edition of current California/Beach with various bits missing until parts run out.

Suppose VW to do something to increase Grand California sales and it finally looks like Ford drivers will get something decent (ouch! contentious, joking of course )

1. VW don’t care too much about customers who’ve actually bought vans let alone those who just ordered them.
2. Only if the customer is willing to pay

No manufacturer is going to continue to invest in a product that governments will price off the road in the not so distant future. Diesel cars getting 35MPG will be the next dinosaurs.

slight side step:

but i saw the EU passed the thing that said manufactures had to stop selling PETROL cars by 2035.

and that the UK would also follow the same guide lines.

but i though it was interesting that the said petrol only and not diesel as well.

i think EV is going well for cars . .

but I'm not seeing the same from EV light and heavy commercial. . .

though there are inroads, I'm seeing a lot of EV vans about London now from the like of DPD, DHL and other courier firms. . .

the local ESSO EV charge points now are a joke and constantly full up with commercial vehicles sitting there for a quick top upcharge .

+++++++++

so I'm assuming the commercial diesel engine will have to carry on for vans . . . for at least the next 10-15years.

++++++++++

so hoping for the next transporter to offer Hybrid / EV - but also a good old smoker of a derv engine.

Last edited:
Until you want to sell.

No surprises here, surely?

New electric cars are overpriced; the technology is immature; the infrastructure is woefully inadequate; and now that the keen, the green and browbeaten have bought-in to the segment, there's only the indifferent, the sceptical and the downright hostile left to sell to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just when I thought buying my last vehicle and first camper van couldn’t get any more bewildering-this!
Realistically, we have 10 to 15 years driving left, so NO room for error because we won’t have £70kish twice ( that will go on care homes and two wakes)
My questions for the panel:-
-ULEZ, is the only future proof solution all electric? Or will a 6.1 get us into the zones for 10 years?
-ULEZ, what happens with hybrids? Does the carbon engine disqualify them?
All the kids and most of our friends in the UK and Europe live in cities, so we have to be able to drive as my wife is disabled.

VW premium. Will 6.1 go like Tesla and the last new builds get sold off? Or the opposite? Crucial question as we don’t have anything on order, so I’m chasing what’s in the pipeline.

T7 pricing. I confess, 30 years of Audi, a double premium charge for a Golf in a posh A3 frock.
How can T7 charge like T6.1? It’s actually the blue oval…so hang on and pay less? Or pay a bi t more for a lot more?

Lastly, reliability.
Is it riskier sticking with the last 6.1s from Hanover-who might be more concerned with a new job than build quality?
Will Turkey be able to cope with building Transit AND Transporter too? That’s a lot more to make…and speed leads to mistakes…only saying…

Sorry for the long message. I’ve waited 60 years to by a new vehicle. Should I wait for T7.?

ULEZ stipulation is min Euro6 standard for diesel.

So all T6 > varients are compliant and don't pay the charge..........for now.

Untill .GOV decide to move the goal posts.

TFL run the roads in London . . . Who knows what they will come up with next.

Bus lanes, cycle lanes, pedestrian lanes, LEZ, ULEZ, Congestion charge, . . . . . .

Don't get me started on that.... This is about the end of the T6 & T6.1 and what will come next.

ULEZ stipulation is min Euro6 standard for diesel.

So all T6 > varients are compliant and don't pay the charge..........for now.

Untill .GOV decide to move the goal posts.

TFL run the roads in London . . . Who knows what they will come up with next.

Bus lanes, cycle lanes, pedestrian lanes, LEZ, ULEZ, Congestion charge, . . . . . .

Don't get me started on that.... This is about the end of the T6 & T6.1 and what will come next.

Thanks Dellmassive,
I did warn that I was a camper virgin asking dumb questions, here goes
Does ULEZ 6 = T6 and 6.1 only? Nothing older?
More concerned about being refused entry altogether with a diesel. We want to be able to bring the van to the kids, then take them out, also use rent a driveway for London?
We’re resisting all electric until there’s anything remotely like enough charge points!
Thanks again
Shrimps on tour

Reactions: CAB
Thanks Dellmassive,
More concerned about being refused entry altogether with a diesel. We want to be able to bring the van to the kids, then take them out, also use rent a driveway for London?
We’re resisting all electric until there’s anything remotely like enough charge points!
Thanks again
Shrimps on tour
MY17 September 2016 onwards

Thanks Dellmassive,
Thanks again
Shrimps on tour
For ULEZ it's not a case of being refused entry, more that non-compliant vehicles will be charged for entry - after all, how could Khan and his ilk generate additional revenue if they simply adopted an exclusion policy?

Back