First van (Caravelle) thoughts: T6, T6.1 or wait for T7???

Russ1979

Hello all, I’d love to get your thoughts and opinions on my van (Caravelle) dilemma as I can’t get my head around the best option…

I am looking to change my wife’s car, current car (2017 XC90) which just isn’t big enough now and we both feel the flexibility and space offered by the Caravelle would suit us perfectly. Test drove a well spec’d mid-2019 T6 4M (£49k at main dealer) at the weekend which was great but then told that the T6.1 has digital dash, more safety features, etc, etc (which we’re used to in the XC90)…. and then after further research this weekend I read that VW are working on a T7 possibly for release in 2021... !!!

My biggest concern is depreciation on the T6 and T6.1 when the T7 comes out.

Am I better of buying a T6 which has already had it’s ‘forecourt’ depreciation, living with it for a year or so and then chop it in for a new T7 or does it make more sense to bite the bullet now with a new T6.1 really enjoy it for a few years and then consider the T7?

…or is it more sensible to be patient and wait for the T7???

Being new to the VW van game, I would greatly appreciate any input and opinions

Thanks in advance.

Well speced Caravelles hold their values really well after the initial years depreciation. Any potential extra loss in value of a T6 as a result of the T6.1 / 7 will be offset against a much lower purchase price of a 6 month old, ex management vehicle now.

When I bought mine, I had initially been looking at much older T5.1s, but even then, 6-7 year old vans with 60+k miles were being advertised at £25k. It didn't seem to make a lot of sense spending all that when a very nearly new one was less that £15k more.

I think I'd hold fire and wait and see what you can get a used 6.1 in about 6 months time.

I’d have a look at both, IMO the t6 caravelle feels more special than the t6.1 caravelle, comfort dash, feels more solid and luxurious plus somewhere to rest your left foot all win over a digital dash! No point waiting for a T7... if and when??

Not sure there will be a T7, but whatever it’s called it’s going to be a platform share with Ford.

6.1 is the last of the pure bred VW Transporters.

I would wait for the 6.1 as I think the digital dash is the way forward and will hold its value better than a T6. Plus as @Insert Coin said, the 6.1 will be the last of the pure bred Transporters.

I bought 68 plate Caravelle (T6) SE ( wanted a LWB) 11 weeks ago with 3.5k on the clock. I did a configuration on the same spec as mine on the VW website and it came back at just under £68k, twice what I paid for mine

I'm not sure the digital dash is worth spending an extra 20k - Have a look on used VW Commercial website.

I can't see the T7 landing in the next 12 months.

Just to add more confusion have you thought about getting a panel van converted?

Last edited:
I would wait for the 6.1 as I think the digital dash is the way forward and will hold its value better than a T6.

But the T6 will be much less money to begin with.

Just to add more confusion have you thought about getting a panel van converted?

Never build a car you can buy. Before settling on a Caravelle, I was considering a Kombi, but by the time I'd added all the trinkets, it would have cost a fortune.

Well speced Caravelles hold their values really well after the initial years depreciation. Any potential extra loss in value of a T6 as a result of the T6.1 / 7 will be offset against a much lower purchase price of a 6 month old, ex management vehicle now.

When I bought mine, I had initially been looking at much older T5.1s, but even then, 6-7 year old vans with 60+k miles were being advertised at £25k. It didn't seem to make a lot of sense spending all that when a very nearly new one was less that £15k more.

I think I'd hold fire and wait and see what you can get a used 6.1 in about 6 months time.
Thanks dubber36... Good to know the Caravelle will hold decent value. I'm starting to think the same, goal-hang over the next 6 months+ and wait for a well spec'd pre-owned T6.1.

I’d have a look at both, IMO the t6 caravelle feels more special than the t6.1 caravelle, comfort dash, feels more solid and luxurious plus somewhere to rest your left foot all win over a digital dash! No point waiting for a T7... if and when??
Thanks T6Paul. I know it's only a small thing but I've got used to (and really like) a digital dash now so gut feel is a T6.1 is the way to go for me. Definitely agree with you on not waiting for T7... I'm already way too overly excited to start my VW van journey but now need to be patient and wait for the right one. Cheers.

53k - I'm not sure I could spend that on a van - Digital Dash does look very nice though!

Before committing that kind of cash I would hire one for the weekend.

Arnt they talking about the T7 being hybrid ?
Not sure I like that idea due to the government not really liking hybrid and wanting full electric. Seems a half way house which might backfire on owners. I'd save my money and go T6. I wont be changing my van until a good full electric model is the norm.

53k - I'm not sure I could spend that on a van - Digital Dash does look very nice though!

Before committing that kind of cash I would hire one for the weekend.
I agree, £53k is a lot of money but as an exercise I went on to the Caravelle configurator on the VW website and a new similarly spec'd van to that £53k one on Auto Trader was over £65k! That's a big chunk of depreciation on a van that's less than 4 months old and covered just 1200 miles. Hopefully, for me there will be more T6.1 examples coming onto the used market over the next handful of months - I'd feel more comfortable picking one up if the price started with a '£4*,***'

I looked and test drove both the T6 & T6.1 Caravelles.

I opted for the T6.1 with all the latest gizmos over the T6 as I also own a Volvo XC with all the toys.

It doesn’t matter what price you come up with if you build one on the VW configurator it’s not the price you pay, you have to negotiate a good discount from the dealer, and that varies considerably. Some dealers are asking more money for there unsold/Pre reg T6 Caravelles than what I paid for the latest T6.1 Caravelle.

I have been looking at loads of new to nearly new Caravelle Executives for sale on all online sites for over 6 months now and see many of the same vehicles still for sale. I think the T6 Caravelles will start dropping in price as the T6.1 starts coming onto the market.

Some of the VW dealers are already advertising their demos for less than some dealers want for their T6’s. I know it depends on the spec, but the latest T6.1 has most of the toys as standard ie. led driving lights, electric tailgate, digital dash etc etc.

Good luck with your search Russ.

Back