First van (Caravelle) thoughts: T6, T6.1 or wait for T7???

I’m Semi looking for one too and believe me they are not selling, I’m fortunate I have a van at the minute. People are frightened with the current climate And next year will be worse. Some real bargains will be had.. I will give you an example. i got in a negotiation with a seller of a low mileage 2017 caravelle and got him to 25000 from his original 32500 and the only reason we didn’t buy it was my wife would not live with the colour.

Hello all, I’d love to get your thoughts and opinions on my van (Caravelle) dilemma as I can’t get my head around the best option…

I am looking to change my wife’s car, current car (2017 XC90) which just isn’t big enough now and we both feel the flexibility and space offered by the Caravelle would suit us perfectly. Test drove a well spec’d mid-2019 T6 4M (£49k at main dealer) at the weekend which was great but then told that the T6.1 has digital dash, more safety features, etc, etc (which we’re used to in the XC90)…. and then after further research this weekend I read that VW are working on a T7 possibly for release in 2021... !!!

My biggest concern is depreciation on the T6 and T6.1 when the T7 comes out.

Am I better of buying a T6 which has already had it’s ‘forecourt’ depreciation, living with it for a year or so and then chop it in for a new T7 or does it make more sense to bite the bullet now with a new T6.1 really enjoy it for a few years and then consider the T7?

…or is it more sensible to be patient and wait for the T7???

Being new to the VW van game, I would greatly appreciate any input and opinions

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there's any clear-cut answer to this one. All I can say is that I was in the same boat as you at the end of last year and went to look at a used T6 Caravelle with the options I was after (not that many around), and the finance quote I got meant that for a few quid more I could have a brand new t6.1 for almost the same as a used t6. The only downside was I'd have to wait a bit for it because it was brand new. I spent a couple of months wrangling over what to do (I'm not massively sold on the digital dash) - the spec I wanted meant the used options were few and far between and were already the 'old' model. So, I decided to order a new T6.1 in March... just in time for manufacturing to stop.

I intend to keep this one for a while (4 years free servicing/warranty extension were included as an incentive back then), so I'll be only a single revision behind for a while. Mind you, if the new T7 looks anything like the artists impressions knocking about, I won't be looking to 'upgrade'! :sick:

I looked and test drove both the T6 & T6.1 Caravelles.

I opted for the T6.1 with all the latest gizmos over the T6 as I also own a Volvo XC with all the toys.

It doesn’t matter what price you come up with if you build one on the VW configurator it’s not the price you pay, you have to negotiate a good discount from the dealer, and that varies considerably. Some dealers are asking more money for there unsold/Pre reg T6 Caravelles than what I paid for the latest T6.1 Caravelle.

I have been looking at loads of new to nearly new Caravelle Executives for sale on all online sites for over 6 months now and see many of the same vehicles still for sale. I think the T6 Caravelles will start dropping in price as the T6.1 starts coming onto the market.

Some of the VW dealers are already advertising their demos for less than some dealers want for their T6’s. I know it depends on the spec, but the latest T6.1 has most of the toys as standard ie. led driving lights, electric tailgate, digital dash etc etc.

Good luck with your search Russ.

Thanks Yeatsy, very helpful indeed. I've always had company cars/lease cars or bought nearly-new second hand in the past, so a brand-spanker is a new process. I was definitely getting put off by the escalating price as I added extras on the configurator to get to a comparable spec to our current XC90. I hadn't realised there were discounts and deals to be done if spec'ing a car in the showroom - food for thought there.

I'm guessing, what with the state of the wider-economy, there'll be even better deals to be done on a brand new car as we get into the later stages of Q3 and into Q4.

How are you liking the T6.1?

I don't think there's any clear-cut answer to this one. All I can say is that I was in the same boat as you at the end of last year and went to look at a used T6 Caravelle with the options I was after (not that many around), and the finance quote I got meant that for a few quid more I could have a brand new t6.1 for almost the same as a used t6. The only downside was I'd have to wait a bit for it because it was brand new. I spent a couple of months wrangling over what to do (I'm not massively sold on the digital dash) - the spec I wanted meant the used options were few and far between and were already the 'old' model. So, I decided to order a new T6.1 in March... just in time for manufacturing to stop.

I intend to keep this one for a while (4 years free servicing/warranty extension were included as an incentive back then), so I'll be only a single revision behind for a while. Mind you, if the new T7 looks anything like the artists impressions knocking about, I won't be looking to 'upgrade'! :sick:

Thanks ScottyMac. I'm definitely decided on a T6.1 now but like you, I have a fairly specific list of what options I want (4Motion being top) which massively narrows down nearly-new/ex-demo options as they seem to be relatively rare, which is why brand new is starting to feel like the only way to go.

I'm with you on the initial renders of the T7 and from what I've read, the new digital/safety features now in the T6.1 have been developed for the T7, so tech-wise the T6.1 seems pretty future proof for the time being.

Depending how you are financing it, choose your options wisely.

With PCPs, options are rarely taken into account when it comes to the GFV. You end up paying for them in full over the term of the deal, whereas with the van element of the deal, you just pay the depreciation plus interest.

Thanks Yeatsy, very helpful indeed. I've always had company cars/lease cars or bought nearly-new second hand in the past, so a brand-spanker is a new process. I was definitely getting put off by the escalating price as I added extras on the configurator to get to a comparable spec to our current XC90. I hadn't realised there were discounts and deals to be done if spec'ing a car in the showroom - food for thought there.

I'm guessing, what with the state of the wider-economy, there'll be even better deals to be done on a brand new car as we get into the later stages of Q3 and into Q4.

How are you liking the T6.1?

Hi Russ.

Haven’t got it yet. It was ordered beginning of February with delivery in April. Factory closed due to virus. Apparently it was built at the end of May and is sitting in Germany awaiting shipping but there is a back log. Called dealer this week and he said another 4 to 5 weeks so looking at early August. I just as well wait until 1st September for new reg. Waited this long another couple of weeks won’t hurt.

Good luck with your search.

Well on the 15th July the Pukka Van was due to go back, all excited about the 6.1 however it seems I have yet to appreciate the new look. To that end for the first time ever I extended my lease and kept the T6.

Back