LWB 4Motion “Caravelle” or T6.1 with T7 seats?

I’m looking to upgrade from a 3 row SUV as my 4 kids get older. We currently have an XC90 with a 700L roof box and use a large tow bar rack for water sports kit for holidays, so lots of stuff.

The things I’m looking for:
  1. loads of interior space. LWB looks like the only option here.
  2. Rotatable 2nd row seating. Kids loved this on a Kia Carnival we rented on holiday.
  3. 4 wheel drive. We have a holiday place in a woodland that needs 4x4 in the winter.
  4. Self-driving features. Any T6.1 (they have the electric power steering) that has the adaptive cruise control fits the bill here as you can install comma.ai/openpilot.
  5. ULEZ compliant (we’re in London)
  6. As non-van-like an interior as possible to placate my wife.
  7. 8 seats would be ideal, but 7 is OK.
If VW had made a 4Motion T6.1 LWB Caravelle this would be a no brainer as it would tick all boxes except 8 seat option, but they didn’t make these.

LWB transporter shuttle ticks most boxes, but not rotatable middle row or non-van-like interior (debatable). Also I’m not sure they made 4Motion LWB transporter shuttles?

T7 is too small and has no 4Motion yet.

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on:
  1. Converting a transporter 4Motion LWB to Caravelle seating. What would be the best base vehicle to work with?
  2. [wild card, I think my ideal] Installing T7 seats in a T6.1 4Motion LWB transporter. These are more easily removable (individual seats vs T5/6 massive bench), middle row can be turned around (with “conference pack” seats with built in seat belts), and as all rear seats are the same width I *think* would support adding in an 8th seat.
Does anyone know of anyone/any company that has started installing T7 seats in T6s?

Any other thoughts/ideas? Thanks!

We could convert a 4Motion kombi or panel to caravelle seating. We’ve done quite a few of these conversions.

The only two issues I see are ;

Seating availability - they are getting harder to find and more expensive- but they are out there
No rear air con - not a massive problem but can get hot in the very back.

We could convert a 4Motion kombi or panel to caravelle seating. We’ve done quite a few of these conversions.

The only two issues I see are ;

Seating availability - they are getting harder to find and more expensive- but they are out there
No rear air con - not a massive problem but can get hot in the very back.
Thanks - have you done/heard of anyone who's done a T6 conversion to T7 multivan seating? Given those vehicles are being actively manufactured you'd hope/imagine seating availability might be getting easier?

No and I don’t think anyone would, they are completely different floor pans so hard to certificate it and add the correct reinforcement. The correct route is defo caravelle , although very expensive, or shuttle 8 seater arrangement.

There is a big difference in the interior feel of a Caravelle compared to a van conversion - minimal road noise, rear climate control, charging ports, storage, swivel seats, level of trim/seat cloth, dash and driving features etc that I doubt you'd get on a van conversion unless you put a lot of work into it.
For me it's a Caravelle every time. :thumbsup:

I have a LWB Caravelle and love it. Had Shuttle and kombi before but when a used Caravelle that was the really rare LWB I had to have it.
I regards to 2WD I run winter wheels so that helps in the snow and ice. In summer I don't have any trouble getting my caravan towed accross fields and equally I can get my jetski accross the beach just have to build up some momentum.

Seat wise you can add an extra row in LWB to make 9 seats. Not sure of the legality though but have seen it done.

Possibly - that would certainly be the easiest single thing to drop. How do you find the FWD T6 performs on wet/soft grass (quite muddy underneath it) with mud/snow tyres?
We were camped in the lakes on a wet slope and got off
I borrowed a 23 6.1 panel when my 19 caravelle went in for service …. I wouldn’t swap … as above the factory interior makes a huge difference

Depending on budget would a 4motion conversion of a caravelle be cheaper than a full caravelle conversion of a van

But not as straightforward when it comes to insurance, especially as the OP is in London.

Anything van like interior wise in a shuttle can easily be swapped out for Velle items albeit at some cost if buying new, however that assumes you like the Velle trims which I personally dont so my black interior is using OEM items that dont have them on it.

Back