VW closes T6.1 order book today (3/3/23) !!!! - T7 Next? or T8?

The thing that I find odd here is that with the narrowboat every single EHU we've used for the last 10 years has been metered, either a meter you top up with magstripe cards from the marina shop or a lead with a dongle in that charges your account.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't broken into camping yet given that the whole car charging was going to happen one way or another.i
I agree about the boat charging/EHU when we had the boat but we have been on two sites now with the caravan where the EHU is metered, and I have no problem with that at all

I agree about the boat charging/EHU when we had the boat but we have been on two sites now with the caravan where the EHU is metered, and I have no problem with that at all
When you say "EHU is metered" was your total usage restricted or were you simply charged per kWh?

When you say "EHU is metered" was your total usage restricted or were you simply charged per kWh?
First site gave some fixed amount per night (can’t remember how much) and charged for anything above that at their supplier’s cost. In summer they waived the excess above. The second site was for anything we used. No limits. The owner had issues with some users apparently. Big bill on leaving but then they’d had fan heaters in the awning and left them running all day even when they were out.

Reactions: Bav
The new T7 looks great, but it's expensive. Note that l don't mean too expensive, it's just that now it is a premium vehicle that many small businesses won't be able to afford.

The T6.1 was around £35,000 with a few options and the better engine.

Now, the similar vehicle will cost you £50,000.

Although l predict residuals will remain high, so it shouldn't be too expensive on a PCP agreement.
My local VW dealer said that 90% of their vehicles are financed this way.

But l can't see your local plumber being able to afford a £50,000 van unless they are VAT registered.

lt's certainly put it out of my reach.
If you ain’t vat registered as a plumber the is CIH (cash in hand) is going missing. I don’t know too many who aren’t. I do work for the second in command in NI for Vat and he says,” Plumber should be vat reg or something isy” That or your not charging what you should be charging!

Average plumber single guy/girl should be doing minimum £120k turnover if paying themselves their wage at correct rate and that before Gas quals which would push it higher.

The newer transits are not as loved as the old 2014 version - I know a couple of people who have sold relatively new versions after searching for earlier ones without too much rust - purely because the mechanical side is way better, despite high mileages.

But… people will still pay over the odds for a VW badged transit. You know it really ;)
Ford/Transporter will produce a Frankenstein abortion.
Just remember the 2016 low oil pressure wrecking transit engines, door pillars cracking dropping doors. We advised members to reject the vehicles due to safety defects. Ford expected members to send staff out in vans where they could not open the drivers door and wait 3-4 months to get their welding repairs done. We asked about the corrosion warranty after welding and they decline to answer.
The vehicle was unsafe due to a design flaw, they could not provide an alternative vehicle with towbar, roof racking, shelving so rejected it and claimed against Ford. Ford then took them back even sign written ones, new vans and sign writing, racking, towbar fitted.
Pays to be in a trade body to squeeze manufacturers to get them to play nice.

Manager of TPS here had an Amrok VW built, hand it back at the end and now has a Ford/VW abortion as he calls it, 48 hrs and he wanted his VW one back. Rattles, less power, harsh ride, not a patch on his previous.

Does anybody think that the resale values of our T6 / T6.1 vans will increase when production stops, in a similar way to when Landrover stopped making the original Defender?
Just a thought!
I've always looked at mine as a long term purchase and intend to run it until it's no longer financially viable, so resale value isn't a big deal to me anyway.
We run ours in the fleet for 10 years and so far easy on the pocket. FORD Fix Or Repair Daily

Does anyone know if the new Transporter will run the same engine as the Transit ?
I think the Caddy/Connect are the same

Manager of TPS here had an Amrok VW built, hand it back at the end and now has a Ford/VW abortion as he calls it, 48 hrs and he wanted his VW one back.
Could be worse, could have had a HiLux. They used to be legendary not just for reliability but for off road prowess too - I towed a couple of defenders out of a mess with the site HiLux years back.
We now have new ones and, at less than a year old, they are in and out of the garage for all sorts. They haven’t even got off road yet. New injectors, fuel rails, particulate filters and still not right. It isn’t just one oddball either.

As grandma used to say… they don’t build things like they used too :thumbsdown:

Does anyone know if the new Transporter will run the same engine as the Transit ?
I think the Caddy/Connect are the same
According to the press announcements made over the past few years, Ford is the lead brand on the project and the new VW and Ford medium van will be built on a common platform in the same plant in Turkey. Unlike where vehicles sharing a common platform are built in different factories in different locations, this suggests that the new Ford and VW medium vans will utilise the same major components eg suspension, power plant and transmission, as well as body-shell (albeit with different wings, grill, trim, badging, ECUs, firmware, displays, etc). From the evidence available, I think it’s probable the Frankenporter vans will use Ford sourced ICE and EV power units.

Last edited:
According to the press announcements made over the past few years, Ford is the lead brand on the project and the new VW and Ford medium van will be built on a common platform in the same plant in Turkey. Unlike where vehicles sharing a common platform are built in different factories in different locations, this suggests that the new Ford and VW medium vans will utilise the same major components eg suspension, power plant and transmission, as well as body-shell (albeit with different wings, grill, trim, badging, ECUs, firmware, displays, etc). From the evidence available, I think it’s probable the Frankenporter vans will use Ford sourced ICE and EV power units.
Oh dear..... what an awful mistake

Just a thought…..
Wondering whether all the emissions mandates and resulting worsening issues with various brands of ICE could possibly be part of a long term plan?
To encourage people to move on from these troublesome vehicles and purchase one of these new-fangled, ever so slightly less troublesome Electric Vehicles?!?
Hmm

Just a thought…..
Wondering whether all the emissions mandates and resulting worsening issues with various brands of ICE could possibly be part of a long term plan?
To encourage people to move on from these troublesome vehicles and purchase one of these new-fangled, ever so slightly less troublesome Electric Vehicles?!?
Hmm
So you're suggesting that, maybe, making ICE vehicles shittier is a tactic to encourage more customers to choose an EV. In a f*cked-up world where common sense appears to have been the first casualty of climate change, I guess such "logic" would not be out of place.

I’m nearly 8 years retired but my last observations in industry were that accountants had taken over and engineers strategies were diminished.
The bottom line is that if the customer keeps on queuing up to buy no improvement (cost) is required.

Just a thought…..
Hmm
I can’t see that being a strategy company bosses would risk. Unreliable vehicles will colour the opinions of current and future customers. Would the salesperson saying ‘don’t like your very problematic ICE powered VW - then please purchase an EV powered VW, they’re much better…honest’ really work on anyone? Seems a shaky business model to me even with acknowledgment that some people can be quite brand loyal.

I can’t see that being a strategy company bosses would risk. Unreliable vehicles will colour the opinions of current and future customers. Would the salesperson saying ‘don’t like your very problematic ICE powered VW - then please purchase an EV powered VW, they’re much better…honest’ really work on anyone? Seems a shaky business model to me even with acknowledgment that some people can be quite brand loyal.
No, they'd just let the Ford-inspired styling do the talking for them.

Back