VW closes T6.1 order book today (3/3/23) !!!! - T7 Next? or T8?

The Transporter is expected to use Ford’s batteries, electric motors, engines, gearboxes and chassis structures across its line-up.

Although the auto express is a mock up. What I find odd is we haven’t seen anything official, or test mules, camouflaged vans etc. and this for a van that is supposed to be less than a year away in VW guise. The ford has already been delayed 2-3 months already.

Last edited:
Anyone seen the Customs for sale? I must say they do look good! The Transporter will be also be a looker. Just like everything before, people will hate it at first, then will grow to love it.

Anyone seen the Customs for sale? I must say they do look good! The Transporter will be also be a looker. Just like everything before, people will hate it at first, then will grow to love it.

62 grand for a swb panel van!!

Anyone seen the Customs for sale? I must say they do look good!

Not to my eyes unfortunately, still got the ugly Ford signature grille and the one in the link looks like it's got the horrible lights right across the front.

A 236 Miles range? No doubt that’s unloaded on a nice dry warm day, on a level road at a constant 55mph. Stick a load in it or convert it to a campervan (I wonder where the underslung tanks will go) and I doubt you’ll see 150 miles before you need to prepare to fight other EV drivers to plug it in to a working charging point. The T6.1 really is the last of the VW line.

That Transit looks ok, although Motion R stuff is usually low spec/high price crap.

170ps is not enough out of the box and I don’t think the 4-Motion is available in that engine spec anyway, I could only get a 130ps on the configurator with 4-Motion.

Although the auto express is a mock up. What I find odd is we haven’t seen anything official, or test mules, camouflaged vans etc. and this for a van that is supposed to be less than a year away in VW guise. The fire has already been delayed 2-3 months already.
It occurs to me that if it's pretty much a rebadge and a minor face tweak we may not see the usual test things, because the Transit versions would have done enough mechanically.

Interiors and some grill/bumper work could all be done in house with far less chance of public leaks?

It occurs to me that if it's pretty much a rebadge and a minor face tweak we may not see the usual test things, because the Transit versions would have done enough mechanically.

Interiors and some grill/bumper work could all be done in house with far less chance of public leaks?
Your assertion seems very plausible as to why no VW badged medium vans have been seen out testing. Different front panels, trim and badging, wheels, and ECU software doesn’t need shake-down road testing. It‘s a sad indictment really.

Last edited:
Just seen this.

View attachment 216407
From that article:

Ford last year revealed its van’s dramatic new look and called it “a distinctive new design benchmark in the one-tonne segment”. VW has yet to disclose any information about the Transporter’s design, but it will be very different from the Ford, said Intra.

Hopefully the part in bold will be true and it will look very different.

Just going to have to accept that it’ll be a Ford underneath, nothing can be done about it, but let’s hope it’s better looking than the transit.

Obviously we wouldn't want the usual transit trait of being picked up off the ramp in a bucket after 15 years or less. The last custom and transit have a 7 year corrosion guarantee so hopefully the newer will be zinc dipped too.
Plus the overall body shape will be the same unless the change the outer shell but that's more expense . Its most likely front doors, everything from the front wings forward and the rear doors that will be different.
Like the Transit tourneo connect 2023 model its a 2020 VW caddy. With complete new front end. You can see the bonnet is different. So hopefully the T8 or whatever they call it will do the same.
ford-tourneoV761-FoE-01_V761_Tourneo_Con_Ext_Fr_7_8_Static-16x9-2160x1215-gt.jpg.renditions.o...jpegvolkswagen-caddy-precios-202072991-1605968363_1.jpg

I do not notice any difference.They look exactly the same. If that is the effort Vw will put into the new Transporter I see why there is no sight of them testing the transporter….

Like the Transit tourneo connect 2023 model its a 2020 VW caddy. With complete new front end. You can see the bonnet is different. So hopefully the T8 or whatever they call it will do the same.
View attachment 216582View attachment 216583

I do not notice any difference.They look exactly the same. If that is the effort Vw will put into the new Transporter I see why there is no sight of them testing the transporter….

You can't tell the difference........Ford has a "squarer" front end and bigger "grill"

Back