V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that the majority of people on this forum have pop tops which don't change the outward appearance quite so noticeably as my high top with roof-light and bathroom extractor - this must put the dvla against the majority to begin with. Once they say no they then dig their heels in and Mr Jobsworth comes out to play! The days of having a stealth camper may well be over.:(

Maybe a case of what Old and Bald says, a tin of gloss and write CAMPERVAN down the sides.:laugh:

Fancy vinyl stripes for registration photos - then whip them off afterwards. The basic body colour remains the same so no need to notify them after campervan registration.

I asked Steve @ Bodans if they’d been impacted. His response below:

Yes it has just hit us on the last couple.
I am waiting for a response from DVLA to establish what they want doing to the externals to qualify.

******** end ********

Ill be interested to read their response as the whole industry appears to be affected.
If it’s just external cosmetic additions. Would a temp high top be acceptable in the pics?
Our bathtubs don’t appear to be acceptable though!

Worth checking with other conv co’s?

following the title change? what is the rule change? read the thread, confused...
DVLA updated the document on 16th May - on the face of it not very different from the earlier version but the biggest change seems to be in the subjective attitude now being applied on a case by case basis - lots seem to be getting denied changeover but, apparently, there is no real consistency being applied.

I hope this isn’t the road to an IVA type process. Since the vehicle may have been significantly modified, then VOSA will want your pound of flesh!

Just had my rejection letter today. I think I will appeal this on the grounds that my legal requirement was fulfilled and that I have put a genuine VW pop roof and therefore they would not classify such a vehicle as not being a motorhome caravan as the specs are identical.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had my rejection letter today. I think I will appeal this on the grounds that my legal requirement was fulfilled and that I have put a genuine VW pop roof and therefore they would not classify such a vehicle as not being a motorhome caravan as the specs are identical.

View attachment 47759
I wish you all the luck and hope you succeed, but I fear unless you make exterior substantial bodywork modifications like a full coach-built conversion it may get rejected.

This will be a topic of debate that I feel may roll on for sometime. I imagine "Van with Windows" will soon become the norm for van based conversions. o_O

Reactions: Eli
So is a California, a van with windows?

My 9 seater Shuttle started life as body type MPV, before it was changed to a Motor Caravan.

Looked then, as it looks now, like a van..... with windows!

Suspect they're making this up as they go along and a legal challenge maybe on the cards.

Won't stop Eurotunnel charging a 50 quid premium because your 'van with windows' has a bed and cooker in it though, will it.:mad:

The biggest short term issue here, I suspect will be insurance companies. The catch all kit and modifications that comes under 'expected in a Motor Caravan' will be out the window. (No doubt, one of the windows on your van!)

Surely scope for a new body type category. How does CamperVAN!!! sound. Eh... Mr DVLA :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So is a California, a van with windows?

My 9 seater Shuttle started life as body type MPV, before it was changed to a Motor Caravan.

Looked then, as it looks now, like a van..... with windows!

Suspect they're making this up as they go along and a legal challenge maybe on the cards.

Won't stop Eurotunnel charging a 50 quid premium because your 'van with windows' has a bed and cooker in it though, will it.:mad:

The biggest short term issue here, I suspect will be insurance companies. The catch all kit and modifications that comes under 'expected in a Motor Caravan' will be out the window. (No doubt, one of the windows on your van!)

Surely scope for a new body type category. How does CamperVAN!!! sound. Eh... Mr DVLA :thumbsup:

It sounds like another government body who doesn’t have a clue what they’re doing.
What is the tax on an MPV?

I’m just about to call my insurance company. This will get interesting.

I’d hold back and see how the conv industry progresses this reg change.

For a very limited number of VW-registered conversion companies, the base vehicle comes pre-registered as a motorcaravan. This was the case for ours. I wonder whether this change affects that or whether it’s just triggered by the change of status.

What do I have to do to get V5 change to motorcaravan
Had a professional conversion done with pop top side windows and rear windows, second time now turned down, even though it meets all legal requirements.
Help appreciated

What do I have to do to get V5 change to motorcaravan
Had a professional conversion done with pop top side windows and rear windows, second time now turned down, even though it meets all legal requirements.
Help appreciated
My converter did it all. They submitted the photos, a professional ticksheet job done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back