Newbie question ? legalities for conversation & DVLA

Hi,
Sorry, newbie question here
I’m thinking of trading in my existing motor for a T6 van to convert into a day van or camper.

can anyone clarify if I’m correct regards the conversion being changed on the v5 and the legalities

Can I still, in this day and age do the conversion legally myself and get the v5 changed when done. A friend said you are no longer allowed to do this and has to be a coach builder to legally register it now.

I thought you just take photos as you go for proof and have to meet certain criteria and apply to dvla and they may or may not then request to check the vehicle and then send you the new v5

can anyone clarify if I’m wasting my time or this is a go. I’ve always wanted to do a conversion but want to make sure I’m legal with insurance etc once done

cheers for any advice

Cheers, interesting. Quick read of that link, looks like the DVLA are being awkward with people submitting conversions .
Will do more research or I think or may forget the idea if they make it too difficult

There are loads of people out there doing their own conversions and obtaining the correct insurance afterwards. I got my conversion professionally done and even then I dont think I would get the V5 changed as a 'pop top' doesn't count on their form so have decided to leave it unless they change their stance.
Depends how much that bothers you. ;)

This DVLA link will tell you what you need to know.

Short version is, if the van is already registered before conversion (regardless of whether you or a company do it) it will largely all depend on whether it has a fixed high top roof. If it does you'll probably be able to get it changed on the V5 to a motor caravan. If
it doesn’t, they will almost certainly class it as a van with windows.

But the latter may mean you pay less road tax.

Getting insurance is easy. As long as you tell the insurance company what you have done, then they don‘t care how the DVLA classify it.

Pete

is it easy to get insurance with all the modifications once converted to a day van or camper, which can be an extensive list I suspect
Is it reasonable £££
I just didn’t want to pour money into something that is then difficult or expensive to insure or re sell later due to this
Cheers

Yes it’s easy. VW conversions aren’t exactly rare, so insurance companies are reasonable.
Your age, location and driving history is way more important than the mods you have done.

Pete

is it easy to get insurance with all the modifications once converted to a day van or camper, which can be an extensive list I suspect
Is it reasonable £££
I just didn’t want to pour money into something that is then difficult or expensive to insure or re sell later due to this
Cheers
I am converting my van it's a black t6 2016 t28 and I insured with sabre who have noted it down as a van conversion with windows. Cant re register with DVLA but thars fine. I'm a 55 year old female with 9 plus years no claims and with no claims protection and fully comp its costing me 375.00 a year if that helps

Reactions: CAB
If it is first registered as a Van, then that is how it will remain. This seems to have been brought in around mid 2016, judging by the massive thread on the subject in here.
Mine stayed an N1, van with windows. Converted by Camper King, October 2016.

Reactions: CAB
Not entirely correct - mine is N1, converted Nov 2018 , registered as motor caravan, original registration as van with windows. You cannot make such a sweeping generalization.

But then yours predates the DVLA new rules? Mid 2019 was when this changed, so no, you cannot get it done now. AT ALL.
Sorry.
Apologies for my goof earlier. I have a van, first registered in Nov 2016, converted to a camper, in October 2019. My bad.

Back