V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else thinking of exporting their van to say Germany (I go there a lot), register it there as a motorhome/camper and then re-import it back as a motorhome.

I know this happens a lot with high end cars with Cat C/D markings as a way to lose them.

In the past, when you built a kit car and requesting a Q plate you had to take the car to be inspected at a dvla office. Surely they can reinstate this?

That would be OK if they hadn't shut all the local offices.

I think this is where I am, going to try a second time with more detailed pics of contrasting color pop top, hook up plug and reimo rail along woth conversion company's letter and warranty and say I've popped to my police station who confirmed it was identifiable as a campervan and that iti s legal reqiorement for it to classified as such on the v5....all things crossed.

****UPDATE, well second refusal received today, even with 30 pics of all aspects of the professional conversion, evidence of over 51% of the external area of the van altered form original conversion with before & after pics, legal threat, and corroborating Police officer :( they are not having it for sure. I even rang them and they said that campervans are vans, not motor caravans and as there is no classification for camervans their closest class is van/side windows, the only clasification getting motor caravan are those first registered as such or those huge, square white things on wheels. I'm guessing it's to do with tax/revenues as the excuses alter with each letter.

Could really do without the commercial tax class N1 for touring etc but DVLA said this would never change even with body type change,has anyone successfuly gone van/side windows to MPV and did it alter the tax class and what did you do to get it? I can' t see anywhere online what I need to do.....

****UPDATE, well second refusal received today, even with 30 pics of all aspects of the professional conversion, evidence of over 51% of the external area of the van altered form original conversion with before & after pics, legal threat, and corroborating Police officer :( they are not having it for sure. I even rang them and they said that campervans are vans, not motor caravans and as there is no classification for camervans their closest class is van/side windows, the only clasification getting motor caravan are those first registered as such or those huge, square white things on wheels. I'm guessing it's to do with tax/revenues as the excuses alter with each letter.

Could really do without the commercial tax class N1 for touring etc but DVLA said this would never change even with body type change,has anyone successfuly gone van/side windows to MPV and did it alter the tax class and what did you do to get it? I can' t see anywhere online what I need to do.....

The tax never changes from first registration, Gov.uk is the best reference for this.

Wonder if this will now promote a surge in those seeking Shuttles as a base vehicle for camper conversion. Currently registered as M1, MPV, diesel car. Cheaper VED and car speed limits from the off.

Wonder if this will now promote a surge in those seeking Shuttles as a base vehicle for camper conversion. Currently registered as M1, MPV, diesel car. Cheaper VED and car speed limits from the off.

Had a look online at Shuttles and Caravelles, very nice. But seems a waste to rip out some of those lovely interiors in favour of camping kit. And anyway I can’t afford it.
Just out of curiosity though I didn’t see one 4Motion Shuttle. Is it an option?

Even if you were successful in getting it reclassified as a Motor Caravan, it would still be N1.

Even if you were successful in getting it reclassified as a Motor Caravan, it would still be N1.
But MC and MPV trumps N1 for speed restrictions and MC gets you insurance with the likes of the CaMC etc.

But MC and MPV trumps N1 for speed restrictions and MC gets you insurance with the likes of the CaMC etc.
True, but the speed restriction isn’t to do with the N1 classification. If you get reclassified as Motor Caravan (MC) you still get the higher national speed limit, even though the taxation class remains N1. People confuse the N1 rating with the speed limit restrictions.

Had a look online at Shuttles and Caravelles, very nice. But seems a waste to rip out some of those lovely interiors in favour of camping kit. And anyway I can’t afford it.

I'd struggle to rip out a Caravelle interior, although think if it was sold as a complete kit, it would fetch a pretty penny. But there's some advantages to using a Shuttle over a PV. Listed a few in this thread...

T6 Shuttle Conversion

I kept my shuttle interior as I liked the 3 dimension look but you have to give up space if you do it this way unfortunately

True, but the speed restriction isn’t to do with the N1 classification. If you get reclassified as Motor Caravan (MC) you still get the higher national speed limit, even though the taxation class remains N1. People confuse the N1 rating with the speed limit restrictions.
That’s what I said(meant)

Ah, clearly I’m not sure, appears the only way for cheaper insurance, tolls, car speeds is either the unattainable MC or MPV as body type, anyone know any other way for converted PV’s?

Like the look of the shuttle as we have T28 Swb but hoping our next van will be an elec one.

We love our van tho and as TSi bmt complies with the ulez which we will soon live in, the tax is as per co2 emissions so not much more than my old 320d touring was that the van replaced and speed limits/tolls we can tolerate...just the insurance to tackle now, Adrian Flux, any one else had experience with them?

That’s what I said(meant)
:thumbsup:Ahh! Must have got lost in translation.

“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

Reactions: Loz
:thumbsup:Ahh! Must have got lost in translation.

“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
Yea, sometimes I read back what I have typed and only half of what I thought, was actually written down, the human brain is very good at abbreviating..

I tend to assume that everyone has telepathy.. I know Mrs Loz has!

So - just to sum up so far - NOT ONE VEHICLE - has had a change by DVLA since June?

Even with a converters letter who has previously had all vehicles changed.

Is this correct?

Has anyone sent in side by side pictures with a California? A ‘69 plate would be ideal as 1st reg change post DVLA decision?

Apart from speed limits / insurance what other benefits am I missing?

I think if your conversion is based on a T32 PV, then if its registered as a motor caravan, it changes from a class 7 to a slightly less stringent class 4 MoT.

Getting an MOT

So - just to sum up so far - NOT ONE VEHICLE - has had a change by DVLA since June?

Even with a converters letter who has previously had all vehicles changed.

Is this correct?

Has anyone sent in side by side pictures with a California? A ‘69 plate would be ideal as 1st reg change post DVLA decision?

Apart from speed limits / insurance what other benefits am I missing?
You cannot drive through the Rotheride tunnel

Loz, If you really mean The Rotherithe Tunnel, all I can say is 'thank the gods for that!

Sounds like I will have to build an MDF Wendy house with windows on the back of the van for the application photos. Paint it white with a beige stripe and a big logo on the back saying ‘speedbird rapide’ or some other inane crap.
Couple of skylights and a satellite dish. Some pink and tan chintz curtains to to complete the look:thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back