V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a GDPR matter in anyway shape or form.
I’ll Start a new thread if you like and pin it up.

Last edited:
I'll happily start the new thread but I was thinking more of Admins sending out an email shot to all forum members drawing their attention to this (and maybe the other relevant petitions) rather than relying on members to visit the forum and seeing it 'by chance'.

That is a different matter.. where’s my can of worms...

at the same time, not being classified as a self-propelled caravan/motorhome can have some advantages:
in France, there are graphics signs "no motorhomes"
it's ok to park/camp overnight then.
"no, it's not a motorhome, it's a van with windows/MPV" lol

OK guys, after a second attempt at getting the Vans body classed as a Motorhome and sending quite a number of photos, showing gas, water, pop topect ect,
they are addamantthat its a Van/Side Windows and with the letter I received, below, they are saying thats there final decision. It would be really nice to know or find out just what has invoked
these decisions as from June this year. The wording has been there from 2011 when they first, as I'm aware off, tried to implement it then relaxed it.
I will now get in touch with my insurance and make sure they are insuring as a Camper and not a bog standardpanel van. Been intouchwith the Insurance and they are OK about it and are still insuring as a Motor Home. Thats LV insurance.
View media item 2799

I've also now had a 2nd refusal. Initial application was before I had a pop-top, so I photo'd all that and resubmitted. They'd initially agreed that the interior was fine but said that the van wasn't different on the outside. I invited the DVLA chap to now look at the pop-top photos and agree that it was now quite different to when it came out of the factory. No joy, I got the same "decision is final" refusal.

However, I saw a petition this morning challenging a seven-fold tax increase coming along for motor homes, so i'm wondering if i've dodged a bullet?

However, I saw a petition this morning challenging a seven-fold tax increase coming along for motor homes, so i'm wondering if i've dodged a bullet?

That relates to VED tax increases on new motor caravans being classified as cars M1 on the V5 and therefore subject to emissions based taxation instead of flat rate commercial vehicle VED rates.
Something I believe has already hit the VW California owners.

That relates to VED tax increases on new motor caravans being classified as cars M1 on the V5 and therefore subject to emissions based taxation instead of flat rate commercial vehicle VED rates.
Something I believe has already hit the VW California owners.

And as alluded to earlier in this thread, probably the reason for the DVLA's about turn on the reclassification into motorcaravan on the V5, using the external appearance (which has been ok for X amount of years) as an excuse.

And as alluded to earlier in this thread, probably the reason for the DVLA's about turn on the reclassification into motorcaravan on the V5, using the external appearance (which has been ok for X amount of years) as an excuse.
Yep, got to be tax related, no other reason to dig your heels in and the revenue is GOD.:confused::confused:

Interesting viewpoint on this subject on Motorhome Matters (outandaboutlive forum), from (I think) a retired cop or similar. I raised this problem and he replied:

'In relation to this point as far as I'm aware it's nothing new, having been implemented almost 10 years ago, and only applies to applications to change the body type of vehicles not originally constructed as motorhomes by a multi-stage converter, and registered as such from the date of first registration.

I can explain a little as to how it came about. In 2008, as a result of some very diligent detective work by one of my then colleagues from another constabulary, it became apparent that thieves were stealing motorhomes and, by various physical methods, cloning them onto the legitimate identities of commercial vehicles of the same make and model as the motorhome base.

In that way it was extremely easy for them to obtain a genuine V5C for an ostensibly legitimate motor caravan, because all they had to do was notify the change of body type on the V5C for the legitimately acquired "donor" commercial vehicle, which may have been in some cases little more than a written off shell, and submit photographs of the interior of the stolen motorhome.

Eventually, we identified over 800 motorhomes which had been stolen and "converted" by that method. There may well have been more, but the investigation consumed so much time and resources nationally that a halt had to be called at some point.

But, after discussion with the DVLA regarding the ease with which such stolen vehicles could be disguised, legitimised and passed on to unsuspecting purchasers, facilitated by their procedures, it was recognised that the process had to change!'

That’s really interesting background. The resulting vehicle’s VIN still wouldn’t match though.

This also seems to imply that VW-registered convertors can still get a motorhome classification for a newly ordered base vehicle (which may then have VED tax implications as stated earlier).

The cloned vehicle reason is a better one than the identification by emergency services excuse DVLA are pushing out in the letters people have posted.
However penalising law abiding van/campervan owners for the actions of a few toerags is not how society is supposed to work?

Thinking about it, when my van was converted, last summer, I obtained a letter from Nu-Venture to confirm they had done the work and that it complied with the DVLA requirements, and I sent this in with my application and photos. As they are an established and recognised professional conversion company, this presumably meant the DVLA were satisfied this wasn't a clone!

So one wonders whether this route is still open?

In the past, when you built a kit car and requesting a Q plate you had to take the car to be inspected at a dvla office. Surely they can reinstate this?

In the past, when you built a kit car and requesting a Q plate you had to take the car to be inspected at a dvla office. Surely they can reinstate this?
I asked whether a voluntary IVA would assist, and the Approvals Technical Engineer said he wouldn’t issue an approval certificate for a conversion, and referred me back to the DVLA to enquire what they would need to reclassify.

D20D5334-ED67-43E3-9322-9A152AA76E03.jpeg 9C25FC10-9015-4467-B327-2C5937344B59.jpeg

That would be fine even if there was a reasonable charge made similar to an MOT test. It would also stop any cloning fraud.
Far too sensible an idea that @Loz

So the way I see it, I have dropped shed load of money on a Kombi early this year to get it converted to camper at a later stage , even though I can get it physically converted to an camper it will never be officially be an camper.

At this point it just not worth the hassle or stress. After all would I even get all the work insured?

So the way I see it, I have dropped shed load of money on a Kombi early this year to get it converted to camper at a later stage , even though I can get it physically converted to an camper it will never be officially be an camper.

At this point it just not worth the hassle or stress. After all would I even get all the work insured?

It’s not that bad, just means maybe a slower speed limit and perhaps more cost in emissions charges, ferries maybe.
Still going to own a class camper regardless of what some #### at the DVLA says:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back