KevE

Hi, just looking for any advice regarding converting a T6 shuttle to a camper. Does the rear heater/air con unit and roof lighting cause an issue if removed to fit pop top etc. Anyone?

Assuming you have 3 zone climatronic. You can remove roof lights and vents. It's obviously your own personal preference but I didn't want to loose the functionality of having aircon in the rear. So lengths of duct allow roof and low level vents to be used on mine. You have to have the rear control panel plugged into the loom in order to still have control from the front dash controls however. I did a cut and shut on my control panel and mounted it on the side. The black square is one of the new roof vents.20180923_193459.jpg

Wow that's nicely done, I don't remember seeing that control panel though, only the heater/air con controls on the dash, is that mounted in the roof?

Yes. Here's a picture before my pop top was fitted. The vents, lights and control panel are each held in chassis frame with four spring clips. They just prise out using a thin trim tool. The control panel happens to be the exact size of the vents. So I moved the control panel to one end in place of a vent. Then took the extreme side vent and cut this from the end of the chassis. This was then used to finish off one end.

20180123_185558.jpg

That's a great comfort that it is do-able as I was scared off touching a shuttle to convert, you've done a great job on this. Does it work well?.
Also another task I was warned about is having to remove the original seat mountings from the floor and replace with some sort of plates, any thoughts or issues you had with this?
Thanks for your advice.

Yes, seat mountings can be removed. Although the tank needs to be dropped to get at the passenger side brackets. Holes can be filled with grommets or a nut and bolt. However, I decided to keep 2 sets of brackets in play. Gives me the option of dropping in 2 of the original seats to make a six seater. Centre seat has its own belt. And left hand seat uses its original belt located in the C Pillar.

These seats also have isofix if you need this feature.

Smart beds supplied custom length rails for this build. They were very helpful.

I've also bought covers for the brackets for when the seats are removed from Van X.

Kombi Seat Base Cap For VW T5 T5.1 & T6 Transporter (Set of 8)

Here's a few pics. Please ignore the foam checker plate over the flooring. It's tempory until I come up with a suitable mat/rug solution.

I've added a couple of pics prior to me fitting the rear overhead locker and head line trim, but it shows how flexible the van can be in terms of load lugging ability. The last one has a centre seat in place but the bed still makes for a load area but with 4 seats available.

The buddy seat base can lift off to accomadate the bike forks. 3 road bikes will fit in here.

20181106_190133.jpg

20181106_190353.jpg

20181015_155043.jpg

20180921_164641.jpg

20180921_163851.jpg

Yes, seat mountings can be removed. Although the tank needs to be dropped to get at the passenger side brackets. Holes can be filled with grommets or a nut and bolt. However, I decided to keep 2 sets of brackets in play. Gives me the option of dropping in 2 of the original seats to make a six seater. Centre seat has its own belt. And left hand seat uses its original belt located in the C Pillar.

These seats also have isofix if you need this feature.

Smart beds supplied custom length rails for this build. They were very helpful.

I've also bought covers for the brackets for when the seats are removed from Van X.

Kombi Seat Base Cap For VW T5 T5.1 & T6 Transporter (Set of 8)

Here's a few pics. Please ignore the foam checker plate over the flooring. It's tempory until I come up with a suitable mat/rug solution.

I've added a couple of pics prior to me fitting the rear overhead locker and head line trim, but it shows how flexible the van can be in terms of load lugging ability. The last one has a centre seat in place but the bed still makes for a load area but with 4 seats available.

The buddy seat base can lift off to accomadate the bike forks. 3 road bikes will fit in here.

View attachment 31253

View attachment 31254

View attachment 31255

View attachment 31256

View attachment 31257
Wow. I’d never seen your setup before. That’s a brilliant way to keep a camper useful for ferrying more than four of you. Great build idea DD.

Thanks @Ads_Essex. Potentially you could have 7 seats if you didn't take out the front bench seat and exchange it for a captains seat, as I have.

Something to be wary of though is insurance. I had a years conversion policy with JustKampers. They would only insure 6 seats. So I never ran my Shuttle with the rear bench seat while the conversion was on going.

When I applied to DVLA to get it re registered as motor caravan, I also got them to change the recorded seating from 9 to 6.

Forgot to add, as well as the smart bed being on rails, the whole thing can be lifted out. Albeit it's properly heavy and a 2 person job. Essentially gives you van practicality, minus the space of the side furniture of course.

Another we tip with this set up. If you have side hinged cupboards, they won't open fully as they hit the brackets or rail surrounds. I didnt have the proper tool for this but a local kitchen fitter only charged a fiver to cut the hinge holes at the base of the door, instead. He supplied blanks to cover the holes Evo Design had already cut. The push button latches will still work as they should though.

And the string basket in the picture. Silence is golden. And dam hard to achieve in a camper. But these are brilliant for preventing crockery from rattling about. :thumbsup:

20181015_154704.jpg

I tell you what, i'll just send it to you to convert, cracking job and some very clever ideas, thanks so much for the advice, I feel confident to go ahead and use a shuttle now, you get a lot of van for the money as the no vat thing makes a hell of a difference to the cost, pays for a pop top!!!
Thanks again.

The Shuttle has some advantages but if your getting it converted by a conversion company, check that they will take it on as a build. Also check beforehand with pop top roof fitters, if they'll do it too.

It's generally less sought after than Kombis, so they seem to be cheaper as you mention.

Heater and aircon in the rear. Try and get 3 zone climatronic. Check for auxiliary coolant heater too, for faster warm up in cold weather. It can also be adapted at a later stage into a remotely operated parking heater, if you wish.

8 seater has captains seats already. Front bench seat in the 9 seater isn't that comfy as it is but can be modified to make it recline more. Apparently makes a big improvement in comfort.

You'll have carpet if you choose to keep it with thick foam backing. (SE spec only)

Most seem to be T32's. But it's not a goods vehicle so class 4 MoT, instead of more stringent class 7. Albeit, I believe a T32 panel van becomes a class 4, if it's converted and re registered as a motor caravan.

Choice of LWB and SWB

They register as M1, MPV, diesel car. So normal car speed limits apply from the outset.

You have factory fitted windows. Lots of them. Although probably without sliders. Maybe a good thing as I believe sliders are prone to leaking.

Twin sliding doors and a tailgate.

Seat brackets in situ. Redundant seats and brackets can be sold.

Moulded side panels. May need modified or cut though to accommodate furniture. Or you could strip them out, sell them and start from a blank canvas.

Some sound proofing already factory fitted.

4 speakers set up fitted.

H7 headlights, H7 headlights and by the way....... double check them, but they should have H7 headlights.
(By all accounts, the H4s found on the PVs are crap)

LED rear lights.

Caravelle style front grille. Or has the Caravelle got a Shuttle grille. In any case, the extra chrome bits look proper sparkly.

Try for SE spec. It's not the same as a Highline PV. MFSW, cruise control and front fog lights are missing from standard spec but there are companies who will retrofit these if your buying used. Likewise, rear parking sensors or a rear view camera. Ridiculous that there not standard on a LWB passenger carrier. 40 quid will buy you an after market camera.

I'd recommend the DSG 7 speed box. With cruise added, it makes for a relaxing drive over a short ratio manual. Especially in town.

Last edited:
Hi only me again, just on the t6 shuttle conversion, does disconnecting the lights in the headlining cause any issues with the computer thinking there is a fault in the system?

@Dieseldonkey. In the 2 nd last picture post #7, it looks like you have decorative covers over the rails. Are the solid covers of slotted to allow the bed still to slide. I am looking for something similar, if they allow the bed to slide. Any info would be appreciated.

@Dieseldonkey. In the 2 nd last picture post #7, it looks like you have decorative covers over the rails. Are the solid covers of slotted to allow the bed still to slide. I am looking for something similar, if they allow the bed to slide. Any info would be appreciated.
If your looking at the long bed rails, what your seeing is a rubber trim that gets bonded (PU adhesive or similar) to the metal rail. They're permanently bonded on. The bed can still slide back and forth along the central slot. The small rextangle covers you can see forward of the rails are for the original Shuttle seat brackets. Available from VanX. They simply pop in and out when needed.

If your looking at the long bed rails, what your seeing is a rubber trim that gets bonded (PU adhesive or similar) to the metal rail. They're permanently bonded on. The bed can still slide back and forth along the central slot. The small rextangle covers you can see forward of the rails are for the original Shuttle seat brackets. Available from VanX. They simply pop in and out when needed.
I was looking at the long bed rails. Where did you get the rubber trim from?

Back